“Good amenities, lots of poorly leveled sites!”

Williamsburg KOA Campground
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Mostly gravel roads and camp sites. The sites in area D were mostly not level and the first site we were assigned we couldn't level our Class A motorhome. We did level in site D28, however there was not a lot of space to put out chairs, the grill was filthy dirty and there was a sewer hook up next to the table. Our sewer hook up wouldn't allow for proper attachment and we had initial problems with the power connection. There are a few concrete pads with patios, however out of our price range this trip, at around $90 a night. The roads were quite narrow in some areas. Lots of walking trails, a large pool area and things for kids to do - not that we brought any! The store was stocked with essentials and the location was very good for getting around to all the historic sites.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

We appreciate rating your stay with us. We're always happy to find a different site for our guests if the first is not to their liking. We take great pride in our 350 site campground and we always work to correct any issue that is brought to our attention. Austin was happy to get your grill cleaned as soon as we knew. Thank you for camping with us and do come back to see us again.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Two parts to this review: first, the actual campground. Then, my eco-concerns...
The campground is beautiful, and there is a fantastic nature hike to the other park (colonial KOA, which is better for kids if you have any with you). With a dead turtle decaying by the side of the road that was sad. But the trail is really beautiful. There is also a short cut by the pool. This side is more quiet. If you're tasty to mosquitos, bring gobs of repellant. This is mosquito central. But, it is lush and beautiful, so there is a trade off. I had spot 41 which is right on the stream and is beautiful. OH, no cell phone reception, by the way. I have managed to get around the crappy KOA wi-fi service because I have my own, but it didn't work here. Fortunately, their internet service actually did. Kind of. I could text in and out, but no calls or internet. If you go up on the road, it works. I dinged them a "dot" for that. Kids in the office are helpful and kind... that's the end of my actual review. If you're an environmental nut like me... read on. If not, do stay here, it is really convenient and quiet and beautiful.
My dog and I went exploring, and between two of the edge sites was an opening he HAD to go through. Not hidden; no one is hiding anything. This goes to the creek that I was camped along. There,we found two big chain-link fences across the creek, and maybe 20 ENORMOUS fish jumping at the fence trying to get up stream (which was what my dog was interested in). This distressed me. I'm not a fan of seeing anything suffer, so I trotted to the office to see what the fence was about. The kids in the office were very "evasive" never having seen the fence?(200' from their office). The sweet girl there said "I could call the owner?" at this point I was getting a bit cranky and told her "that would be great, since my next call is to the Fish and Game department." They called, and said "the owner says he has a license." I then called my team at home (normally into forests and trees, not fish) and within a few minutes I had the report that this particular campground had a problem with fish dying in the stream and them not being able to dispose of them. OH by the way, did I mention there is no phone or internet service here. I should do that. I was fairly crippled to check myself, hence calling in my squad (thanks ladies ; ) Anyway, I cornered the owner the next morning... and I do mean cornered. I asked about the fence and he snapped he had a permit, and I told him I heard about his "strandings" and was the fence to avoid that. He softened just a little, but What transpired was a conversation that was evasive and guarded. He said the fish go into the lake (a beautiful lake on the other side of the street) to spawn, then they don't leave and they run out of oxygen and die by the thousands. Now, I'm no fish expert... but I seem to remember that many fish die after they spawn? Anyway, I also asked if that was something he had help deciding to do, or if he figured that out all by himself, and he said it took him 10 years to come up with the solution, and that the fish don't go into his lake and die anymore. Here's my problem with all this... is this a natural occurrence in which he is now messing with? I really would have liked to know, and he was not willing to discuss it. For that, I dinged him a dot out of being rude, evasive and not KOA hospitable. I will definitely research this more from home, to be sure, as I am TOTALLY ignorant of fish and stream ecology. But it kinda tainted my stay there. Would have been easy for them to fix that for me, and I gave them the opportunity.

Room Tip: The creek is beautiful, but bring your bug spray if they like you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank OCEquestrian
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for camping with us and sharing your experience. We're very glad to hear you enjoyed the campground and the amenities we offer. As to the fish fence, that is a measure we have taken to protect not harm the fish. As the fish swim into the lake they become trapped in a deep pocket of water with no easy exit into the lake. The great number of fish and the hot Virginia summer cause the fish to die due to lack of oxygen. It only takes a few deaths to cause the water to become toxic ensuring that more and more fish will die. These fish do not normally die after spawning, especially not in such great numbers, and are not an endangered species.

This has not always been an issue. Twelve years ago the association which owns the part of the lake upstream changed the water level thereby creating the pocket which traps the fish. We spoke with the Department of Game and Inland Fishers, the Department of Environmental Quality, and the Army Corps of Engineers to find a solution to the mass die-off of fish each year. After years of discussion without any help from the county or the association, we determined that the best solution given the circumstances is a fish exclusion fence. We do not wish the fence to be a permanent solution. We hope that in time the association will invest in a fish ladder to allow the fish back into the lake. For now the fence prevents the fish from dying, but does not prevent them from spawning and leaving.

We at the Williamsburg KOA are very conscious of our impact on the environment and we take great pains to ensure that we do everything we can to protect it and have been recognized by Virginia Green Travel for our efforts in this regard. We take great pride in having one of the most beautiful estuaries to the Chesapeake Bay and we want nothing more than to protect it and the rest of our 180-acre campground for future generations. Thanks again for camping with us and for your concern for the local wildlife. Come back to see us and them soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights. We were very impressed with the staff showing us to our site (tent) and then being more than willing to show us other available sites when we weren't overly excited about the location of our first offered site. All the sites were clean, very good sized. The activities offered were fun and the locations convenient. The hours for the front desk/store were great. The only complaint we had was that there were so many bugs at night and they were hugem. A lot ended up in the bathrooms. I dont think there is anything that the campground can do about that though. Its just part of camping near wooded areas. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

We're very happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Our staff is always willing to help our guests. We're very glad we could find the perfect camp site for you. Thanks for camping with us and come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We went here in our motorhome for sole purpose of doing a family Vaca with Busch Gardens and Water Park. This was a perfect location for us and was perfectly located to where we wanted to be. Our kids, 10 and 11, had a great time at the bounce pillows, pool, and the movies they showed at night for the kids on the big screen. My wife and I enjoyed the pool ourselves, very much. It is a much larger pool than the multiple KOAs we have stayed at. We found the staff to all be very helpful and friendly. Our favorite by far, was Peter. That man was always smiling, and always working, but we saw dozens of busy employees doing everything from helping guest to picking up trash. We will for sure be going back here. The only thing I did not like was the actual size of our site, but hey, we where camping and could have a fire so it all ended up fine. We stayed in Colonial side. Bath houses where always very clean and had great water pressure too. Nice Place to relax..
Thank you.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for camping with us and sharing your experience. We're very glad you enjoyed it. Summer at the Williamsburg KOA is a great time that offers plenty of opportunities for family fun. We look forward to seeing you again soon. We're always happy to take requests for specific sites. If you saw one while you were here that you really like, you can request that site when you make reservations.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This is a great campground. Close to everything in Williamsburg. Nice and clean. Bath houses are clean too. Get a patio site if you can. Lots of activities for the kids. Very enjoyable time with the family. I look forward to returning in the future.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Eugene W

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We work hard to give all of our campers a great vacation and create new and lasting memories. We're so happy you enjoyed your time with us. Thanks for camping with us and we look forward to seeing you again. Soon, we hope!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Was not happy from the minute we checked in. We were told one price when. We booked our stay and when we got here it was way more then what we were told. So make sure they sent you the cost before you go so your don't get screwed over. The cabin area as well as the camp site around our side was a mess. We even heard from a nice couple who said they wouldn't come back because they had to clean Their site before they could set up. Bathroom we not the cleanest . Oh also WIFI was a joke were we were as it never worked. And there was a box right by our cabin. Also if you have a hard time with getting up a large step the cabins up on the "quite" side will be hard for anyone to get up I just had foot surgery and I couldn't get up and down it without help. We were told when we ask that there wasn't much of a step . Over all not pleased with this KOA and will never stay here again . We don't live from from here so I will not being telling my friends to come here . And as a scout leader I will also take my troop to a different KOA or a state park altogether. I was really looking for to having a great time with my husband and kids as we don't get to do that much as he travels with the Navy . I guess I will make the best of the next two days we have here . Wishing it was better .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina B

We're sorry we got off to a rough start together. We hope the measures we took to make your stay easier and more comfortable were a help to you. As soon as we saw your online comment that you were unhappy with your cabin we immediately upgraded you to another section. If ever a guest is unsatisfied we take every avenue possible to ensure their vacation is a pleasant one. We're happy you came to us with your issues and that we were able to take action. The owner was pleased to hear from your husband that you were all having a great time.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Kids enjoyed the pool, jumping pillow, game room and activities.

Close to attractions. Also close to a Super Walmart.

Robb was very helpful and polite.

Cons:
I first looked online and saw they had open spots... Then I called to make my reservation. The girl that answered told me they were completely booked. When I told her that online shows availability she told me "well it's wrong because I'm looking right at the screen and everything is booked. I've already had so many people call me and I've had to tell them the same thing." So I hung up and booked online - no issues at all!!! There were even open sites here during our stay. So the KOA lost money because she was turning people away.

Our site wasn't level and we were right next to our neighbors sewer. Gross!! As soon as we walk out our door, it's there.

The bathrooms in our section weren't very clean. Ever.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank travelnmom31
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for camping with us and sharing your experience. We're sorry that your visit wasn't entirely to your liking. We apologize for any confusion that occurred between the phone and website. The first week of July was a very hectic time for us as people were making and changing reservation due to Hurricane Arthur. Sites were being booked, opening, and being booked again within minutes of each other. We're happy you were able to get a site and camp with us. We're sorry that the site you were assigned did not live up to your expectations. Assuming there is availability we are always willing to find a site that is more to your liking. Thanks again for camping with us. Come back to see us soon.