My family has been going to GWL for years and go back again and again, despite the high cost, because it's the easiest, most laid-back, whine-free vacation a family can have. The reasons I LOVE Great Wolf Lodge for vacation:
- The water park has something for everyone - from little babies to adults. Big big slides, wave pool, play pool, kiddie pool... if you like water, you will not be disappointed.
- The water is always warm! Even in the dead of winter with a foot of snow outside, it's comfortable in the water.
- The buffet is designed with families in mind. There are foods just to make kids happy (goldfish crackers, pizza, chicken strips, applesauce, hot dogs and hamburgers etc) and foods to make everyone else happy (prime rib, pork roast, italian to order, salad bar, nice soups etc). The price isn't painful either. I think it's like $12 for dinner. Kids are less, I think.
- The magiquest keeps kids entertained for hours when they're done with the pool. If they play the whole game, or a whole adventure, they should be exhausted by the time they're done.
- Although we always spend more than we plan to, the arcade is wonderful. Kids can win in the many many claw games or play for tickets to be redeemed. It's easy to win so the kids walk away happy most days.
- the rooms are lovely. even the basic rooms make you feel like you're really getting away. I think all rooms have balconies or walk outs. The themed rooms, with separated sleeping quarters for kiddos, are fantastic. Kids look forward to GWL for the rooms as much as for everything else.
- the Cub Club provides activities for the littler kids that are great when they start to get overwhelmed by too much activity. It's nice and quiet in there and they can color or read a book or play with toys or watch a movie all for free. Or they can do an inexpensive art/craft project.
- Always something "extra" going on - from the bedtime stories to random face painting or balloon making - there's always something happening in addition to the myriad of other activities (pool, arcade, bowling, magiquest etc)
- The bar is always open for an adult beverage! Nice to be able to enjoy that in a family place.
- the spa is superb!
- even the gift shop is nice - not your standard gift shop. they actually have nice quality merchandise in there.
The only thing two things I don't love about GWL are:
- the price tag. I wish they would offer "frequent visitor" rates or other perks, like free magiquest game. We would probably go more often if that were the case.
- their cancellation policy is not friendly at all. If you need to cancel for any reason, you will be given the opportunity to change the date of your reservation once. If you can't make it on the new date, you lose your money. again... something they should change to make it easier on the families.
GWL, are you listening? :D
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are home to Virginia’s premier 79,000 square foot indoor entertainment area featuring our water park, bear track landing. The indoor water park features a 4-story, 12 level tree fort with 1000 gallons of water and dumps down every few minutes. The water park also features a gigantic indoor wave pool, eight water slides, including 3 tube slides, three kiddie slides and two body slides. In addition we have a zero-depth entry children’s pool, indoor pool, two oversized hot tubs, an endless lazy river. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HRS, Traveltool, S.L.U., Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Great Wolf Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Wolf Hotel Williamsburg
- Great Wolf Lodge Williamsburg Va
- Great Wolf Resort