As you probably know, this is a themed waterpark with a hotel attached.
The waterpark itself was just right for those with young children. It had a large kid pool that doesn’t get too deep but has small waterslides, splash pad type activities and lifeguards. The larger waterslides were fine, but there were not as many as you would find at a larger outdoor waterpark. They do have a hydro-board and a few larger slides for the older kids.
The lifeguards seem to be very well managed. I noticed all of them continually pacing and looking in the corners of the pools and paying attention to blind spots. I found it a little confusing at first, I figured the first lifeguard that I saw doing this in the kids pool was OCD. But when I noticed that they all did this, I felt pretty good, because it is clear that they are trained to keep their feet moving and focus at all times. (I bet they get wrinkly feet). All lifeguards carry a device that seems to be able to attach to a person’s mouth and pump air, which I think is a great thing.
It does smell like Chlorine a little, but not too bad, I didn’t find it to be a problem.
The rooms were good, we had a 2 bed 2 bath unit with a total of 3 beds and a fold out couch. I wouldn’t call it a suite, as the kitchen was really just one counter in a hallway. Still, it did the trick.
The hallway with the rooms is VERY long. Walking can take a long time. Bear this in mind when you are getting your room, if you have any mobility concerns.
It would be better if they had a washer/dryer in the units. You can expect to go through bathing suits fast. My advice: Bring 4 bathing suits for each person. You can expect to use 2 bathing suits a day, and they take at least a day to dry. We had a gas fireplace, and hung the suits close to the fireplace on chairs. This may not be fire marshal Bill approved, but you do what you must.
None of the dining in the resort seemed interesting. Indeed, in October, the cafeteria area seemed to be closed, there was a dunkin droughts, a cupcake place, pizza and a convenience store style place. We never ate at any of them. We had pizza delivered once and ate at the BBQ place about a mile from the resort twice (it was very good).
On the bright side, there is a Walmart about half a mile away, and as I said, a good BBQ place very close.
We bought a paw-pass. It cost 60-70 bucks, and allowed one kid to get a magic wand for a wizard game, where you wave the wand at different things around the resort, and magic happens. She did it for about 30 minutes then became bored. The paw pass also got her some arcade tokens, a build-a-bear type experience, a glitter tattoo, a soda and a rock wall climb. The rock wall was closed in October, so she got more arcade tokens instead (we had to ask, no one offered this to us). The arcade wasn’t impressive, Chucky Cheese is better, but the trip is really about the pool. I might suggest skipping the paw pass.
Overall, a fun time. We didn’t experience too many crowd problems, since we went in October and during the week. I have the impression that the place can become problematically crowded.
Based on my one experience with my 4 year old and my nephews (8 and 11), I think this is a great vacation option. I recommend it completely, but I do see the potential for frustration associated with overcrowding.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are home to Virginia’s premier 79,000 square foot indoor entertainment area featuring our water park, bear track landing. The indoor water park features a 4-story, 12 level tree fort with 1000 gallons of water and dumps down every few minutes. The water park also features a gigantic indoor wave pool, eight water slides, including 3 tube slides, three kiddie slides and two body slides. In addition we have a zero-depth entry children’s pool, indoor pool, two oversized hot tubs, an endless lazy river. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Priceline, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Great Wolf Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Wolf Hotel Williamsburg
- Great Wolf Lodge Williamsburg Va
- Great Wolf Resort