“geatting old”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The lodge was very busy and we did not get our room cleaned on Wed. 11th of June and had to go to the front desk to get towels. The 10th our air conditioner broke down and it took two visit to determine the fan was broken. They did fix it and that was great. The staff in the restaurant is really good and took very good care of us.

1  Thank jrotc
Write a ReviewReviews (4,887)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Most importantly, the pools are manned by active, vigilant lifeguards. We feel that the kids are very safe in the water.

As for the hotel, Like a beautiful older house, the "good bones" are still here, they just need updating. The Grand foyer and hallways still look good. the room configurations are great but a lot of things look (and have been) well used. The bathroom had an extra hole in wall where handicap bar must have been reattached, the extra shower head didnt hangroperly and the tub caulking was gross. I think we were missing a night stand and a suitcase stand. The bed and coffee table were creaky. The MagiQuest hallways are defininetly raggedy (wall paper peeling, paint chipped) and in need of upgrading (compared to when we came about 4 years ago-- i dont think the kids noticed though). My husband says they should look at each room and address the little things.

I find the food to be pretty good even if a bit expensive. We ate breakfast in our room, some lunches and dinners out and some from hotel food. At the hotel, I loved the greek salad. The pizza and fries are good. Desserts of course hit the spot. The Bar drink I had was as good as one should expect at a kid attraction! I had a nice pedicure/ foot massage in the spa.

We came with our two boys 9 and 12. They had loads of fun swimming, doing MagiQuest and going to the arcade. They still enthusiastically want to come again.

Room Tip: 4th floor far away from the pool was quiet!
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have to say my expectations coming to Great Wolf Lodge were pretty low after reading a bunch of the negative reviews. However, they were quickly dissapated. I had read that there were issues with bugs of various kinds that were in the rooms. Upon checking in my mate and I tore apart the room, bed linens, under the bed, even between the mattress and boxsprings. There were none. Also checked all the drawers and hiding places others might find their way. None. A great start to our visit!

After we put the room back together and brought our stuff in we went immediately to the water park. I was a little worried that my two year old would have a very limited area she could play in but almost the whole park (minus some of the slides) was open to her. It was nice because there was one area off to the side that you in fact had to be small to even go down the slide. She loved it. The life guards run the show like military police and I greatly liked that fact that there were super vigialent. No phones/texting or any issues like that. My two year old also enjoyed the super structure and the splash zone area. Another bonus was the facility provided life vests for the little ones which was awesome and we found one in her size. In fact there were even smaller ones available for babies. Great touch!

The biggest complaint everyone seems to have is the price of food - yes it is expensive. But being a Busch parks season passholder it really is not more than going to an amusement park or Disney. They have refrigerators and microwaves in the room so we actually brought our food. There is a Walmart about 0.5 miles away from the lodge and an assortment of restaurants as well around the area.

There were plenty of things older childer could do as well. But we really did not participate in them. However everyone (young and old) seem to be having a great time.

As for the rooms. There are gently warn but expected since I am sure they get beat up by families all the time. The bed was comfortable. The shampoo/conditioner in the room was not the best so I would recommend bringing your own. I booked a room with a jacuzzi suite but honestly at the end of the day I was so tired that the jacuzzi went unused. Really after all the time in the water and chasing around a happy 2 year old we were all ready to go to bed early.

There is a Duncan Donuts in the lodge which was nice - seemed a little more expensive than normal. But again, I expected it as it is an amusement park type place. Overall this was a great time and I am glad that we went. I will definitley go again soon. And for all those parents that worry about bringing a toddler - there is plenty for them to do and play with at the waterpark. ENJOY!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jade25
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We travel 4.5 hours to get here. This the third time I have visited this property. Once when they first opened, two years after that and just yesterday. The rooms are large, with fridges and microwaves. There is a McDonald's in the Wal-Mart you have to pass less than a mile from the lodge, great for stocking up to offset the price of the restaurants at the lodge. That said, the food at those restaurants is good. Dunkin donuts coffee and treats in the lobby, the Starbucks coffee is not French pressed, just brewed, down in the ice cream shop. Great wolf has done a great job of providing more things to do to take pressure off the water park. There are 4d shows and Magiquest and many other things for the kids to do. All these will take extra money out of your pocket, but if all you do is the water park , you can bring as many kids as you can squeeze in the room, and you can start playing at 1 p.m. The day of checkin and play all day up to closing the day you check out. Great wolf has the RFID thing locked down. My bracelet worked the door and kept my money safe and dry by having my credit card attached to it. Not even Disney has this right, yet. The rooms are getting dated. But if you price another water park, this will beat it for value. And it is indoors, useable whether it is 100 or -10 outside. I wouldn't however use this as my base for a Williamsburg vacation, there are lots of kids and better closer options for touring the town or Busch gardens.

Room Tip: There are plenty of elevators, so getting a room far down to avoid the throng of magi quest players...
1  Thank Bradzon
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have OA in both knees and was given the furthest room from the the water park. I had attempted to get accomodations for this but the staff did not seem concerned. We also had a fire drill and since the elevators did not work we had to use the stairs. Due to my condition I asked for assistance, but once again staff ignored me.

9  Thank Steven K
Reviewed 4 June 2014

WENT to see "Big Bad VooDoo Daddy, May, 25, 2014 @ this lodge!! Everyone was dancing & swinging! Go Daddy O!

1  Thank travellsmart
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Visited GWL water park. It was very clean and the towels are provided free of charge. The lockers cost $10, which seemed pricey. The staff were very helpful and polite. The lifeguards are very attentive. It's nicely decorated and the woodsy theme is very cute. There's a wave pool, various slides, lazy river. I just ran out of stuff to do in a couple hours and wanted to leave. The majority of the slides are enclosed tubes and if you are claustrophobic, those are a no-go. (Yep, that's me.) Enjoyed the lazy river, but you can only do that so many times.Felt like a dork, going down the kid slide, but the kids seemed to love it. It was nice, but just didn't compare to outdoor water parks, like Sesame Place, that offer more variety and non enclosed tube slides. The food is ridiculously expensive too. Had a salad from the snack bar that was a prepackaged bowl of inedible mess. I think GWL water park would be great for parents with toddlers. It just wasn't for me.

1  Thank Tintagelviews