“Satisfied Once Again”

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
“Satisfied Once Again”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I read numerous reviews bashing the Great Wolf Williamsburg. With all the bad reviews, I was little scared that our experience was going to be bad. I came expecting the worse. I was waiting on the guy outside with flaring nostrils telling us to move the car.
This is my second time here and I must admit the first time wasn't the greatest due to the room condition. The room had some serious defects the first time. This time it started out not so good. The room that my brother in law reserved was not in any condition to stay in. The air conditioner broke and that was the last room to hold my brother in law, sister, nephew, mother, wife, two daughters and myself. So they offered him a loft. Same amount of sleeping space, just little to no privacy. It worked out beautifully. Gave us time to bond.
The water park is what the Great Wolf is about. The children LOVED it. It's all about the kids. I was able to sit in the hot tub, take a nap without worrying if they were OK. The Life Guards were on their post the entire time. All the staff was very polite and friendly.
We rented a Cabana the 2nd day and LOVED IT. Our person (Jeska) that took care of us was EXCELLENT. She made sure that we didn't need anything. She checked on us about every 15 minutes.
Sitting by the pool side allowed me to look at everything. The Great Wolf is Huge and they put a lot of time and effort in making your stay enjoyable for the family but more especially the children. Every staff member we ran into was very pleasant. Especially Jeska. Again, she was awesome.
I guess worn the turnaround and hard use of the rooms, they have very little time to correct problems in the rooms when they break.
Some of the items are a little pricey, but then again, almost every resort is.
Due to this stay, I'll be back again. Me and my while family enjoyed themselves.

1 Thank Clarence S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our first time at Great Wolf Lodge and It'll be our last. My son's 11th birthday and he was super excited to go here. The check in staff is rude rude rude. One in particular I don't even want to get into it but staff is not very friendly.The room was ok. Nothing special. The waterpark was fair and very small, not worth the money. You'd be better off staying in a cheap hotel and going to Water country. I'd rather stay home with a hose over my head than go back to Great Wolf lodge. Save your money.

11 Thank MicrophoneChec12
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg and providing us with your feedback. I am very sorry for the experience you had checking in for your stay. This is not customary for us and fails to meet the standards we have set for our Guest Services team. It is our goal to make every family feel welcome and greet them with exceptional guest service, and I am sorry if we missed the mark with your family.

Our lodge in Williamsburg, VA has one of the largest waterparks that we offer, boasting 79,000 square feet of indoor waterpark fun. This is the only location that features our Wolf Rider Wipeout, a Flowrider surf simulator attraction that brings the big waves indoors and is a huge hit with many of our guests.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Great Wolf lodge is always a fun time for my kids and a great way to spend a fun day with them. On our recent trip for my daughter birthday we had 5 kids with us. While the eaterpark was great and everyone had a good time, the A/C didn't work in the room. The interior bedroom which had no Windows was quite stifuling. After three attempts at fixing the problem, the last maintenance work finally said that it wasn't working. Took us 2 1/2 hours to get to that point. They offered another room but at that point who is going to move 5 kids and all of their stuff.
Management generously offered a room discount but on nights with that heat, they need to fix the problem or identify a solution earlier.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank BoilerDan93
Dan, thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg and providing us with your feedback! I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the issue with your A/C unit. I am sure that our Maintenance team will follow-up with the room to ensure that future guests do not have a similar issue.

We hope to have your pack back soon!

Wendell, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was my first time at Great Wolf and it was my wife, sister-in-law, her husband, their 2 kids (a 6 year old and a 1 year old), and myself. Despite doing online check-in a week before arriving and then checking in in person at 3:30 we didn't get a room until almost 5pm. Rooms were still being cleaned that late. They told me they would call me when a room was ready but I had to go back up to the desk and ask about the room again. One would think that if you do online check in then there would be a separate line and an expedited process. I used a debit card and didn't authorize purchases other than for the room, that way they didn't hold an extra $130 per night to cover charges.

We had the Grizzly Bear Suite which was nice and had plenty of room for all of us. The shower curtain wasn't long enough for the tub so that got a bit drafty. It was close to the elevator in the middle part of the corridor, which was nice because the central elevators are busy, often time with children going between floors playing MagiQuest. MagiQuest was fun, but pricey, A basic wand with activation, game play, and a ($1) guide book totaled $32 for one person.

The water park was fun, clean, and well maintained. The staff was also friendly. If you want to eat while in the water park walk outside to the bar and grill by the outdoor pool, they have food specials and are cheaper than the food place set up right inside the water park.

Like a typical resort things are overpriced, but we brought our on snacks and drinks to avoid paying $2 for a 16oz bottle of soda.

There is a duck pin bowling alley that is $5/person for a game, it really fun.
Overall, I enjoyed myself and would go back, but only for a couple of days because I was tired when we left.

Room Tip: Rooms farthest from the MagiQuest halls are preferable, otherwise you hear kids running through and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
North Potomac
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This was the first time visiting and the room we stayed in was dingy. It was spacious, but you could tell they don't clean as thoroughly and it needed updating. My kids had fun at the indoor waterpark and the activities they have available. Probably won't be visiting here again until the kids are older and I don't have to worry about cleanliness.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank cykim79
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is my second time staying here. Having done alot of traveling with kids to Florida, Disney, etc., I was still surprised how overpriced everything was. $45 for a manicure for a child?? $75 for a manicure and pedicure?? Of course the salon is placed so the kids see it and beg for one. Terrible slow service at the restaurant, and messed up our order, with no apology. I also booked the jacuzzi room specifically because we really wanted that feature. I ended up taking an extra child along, and when I called to confirm my reservation, I was forced to change to a larger, more expensive room because of this. I have stayed in smaller hotel rooms elsewhere, and they were always willing to accomodate 3 children in one room. They offered me no compensation, discount or anything when this happened. Overall, I felt like it was one big money making machine with zero personal touch or care for their customers. *and believe it or not, I almost never complain!

4 Thank LJSdot66
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg and sharing your feedback with us! I apologize for the service you received while dining on site with us and for the difficulties you had prior to your arrival.

The Whirlpool Suite has a maximum occupancy of 4 guests total; this includes children regardless of age. We are unable exceed the maximum occupancy of a suite for any reason due to fire and safety code. I am deeply sorry if this was not explained to you during the change process, but with bringing an additional child, we have to make sure that the suite you stay in can legally accommodate that many people.

I am sorry to learn of your perception of Great Wolf Lodge and can only hope that we will win you back over when you stay with us again in the future.

Conway
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to the Williamsburg Great Wolf Lodge. The waterpark and outdoor pool was great. Our room was pretty clean and nice. However, it sounded as if the room above us was hosting a gymnastics meet while we were trying to sleep. I've never stayed in a hotel that was so noisy. I tried to call the front desk to complain but no one answered. Also, the check in took about 30 minutes because only 2 people were working the check in counter.

1 Thank Angelaandc
Angela, I am incredibly sorry to hear you were unable to connect with our Guest Services team when you were trying to report a noise complaint. I will share this review with our Management team to review internally so we can try and make sure this does not happen in the future.

We hope to have your family stay with us again soon!