“Great spot!”

American Heritage RV Campground
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our first time camping with our travel trailer and it was great! There are some sites under construction and we stayed in one at the back of the site. It is a great site but has gravel on the way to the site and concrete on the site itself and very clean. The people here are very courteous and respectful. The Hippo slide is a win with my 10, 13, and 15 year olds. We were furthest drom the hotspot and surfed with ease. This will definitely be a return trip for us. We went to Busch Gardens today and it is as mentioned only 15 min. Great spot!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Toozy

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My boyfriend and I were travelling in the Williamsburg area and decided to give this campground a try. We were planning on going to Busch Gardens, so this campground was the perfect location only being 20 minutes away!! I will start off by saying that my boyfriend and I do a lot of camping and have experienced a lot of different places, all with different levels of service. The particular day we were arriving at American Heritage we were coming a long distance and were a little behind. We ended up arriving at the campground very late, and the office was already closed. If you have never had this experience you are lucky - as it usually means you have to drive around a dark campground, set up your stuff some place not knowing if it's okay or not, and then explain yourself in the morning. We were very pleasantly surprised when we pulled up to the main office and found a note with our last name, a map with our site circled, wifi password, and all the rules and regulations. That alone put this campground way up there in my books. That is excellent service!!!
We quickly found our tenting site and set up our stuff. The tenting sites were in one big field, which isn't my #1 choice - but all in all it was fine for our two night stay since we weren't spending a lot of the time at the campground anyways.
The bathrooms were outstanding! They were beyond clean, newly updated, and very well taken care of. There were plenty of showers, all with great pressure and nice hot water - free of charge! We didn't get to use the grounds so much since we were busy doing things throughout the day but they were just as looked after and very nice, clean, and welcoming.
The staff in the office were great! We couldn't thank them enough for having a site ready for us even though we were late! They were friendly, helpful and even asked our opinion of the campground and bathrooms.
If I was in the area I would definitely stay here again! My only complaint would be that the tenting area is a huge field and I usually prefer my own private site.. however that being said all tents were placed far apart. The rates were reasonable for the service and I cannot say enough about the cleanliness of the bathrooms.This is a great campground, with great service!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank novascotiacubalover
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We love historical Williamsburg and usually stay in a hotel but this time we thought we would bring the camper. We made our reservations several weeks in advance and selected a pull through site also we where very close to the bath house. I strongly recommend you request a campsite at the top towards the tree line vs down on the incline in case it rains otherwise all the water could end up at your site so be aware that there is a slight slope downward so ask for one at the top.
American heritage is a lovely campground they recently paved and you can read other posts filled with disappointment for the unpaved road.
The bath house is lovely for a campground facility large private shower stalls with doors very clean and guess what air-conditioned. There's nothing worse than coming out of a nice cool shower into a hot sticky area to change.
The facilities for your camper and vehicle is paved for your vehicle and a cement slab for your camper. Most slots have a very well established trees to help for this sweltering Virginia heat. Have to tell you that the distance between each campsite is very small. But do not let that deter you unless you want complete utter privacy you may want to go somewhere else that will provide you with several several hundred feet distance you will not find it here.
Hookups work great we have cable TV free wifi works good were used to taking our trash to dumpster but they have someone come by daily to pick up trash. The pool area was very clean everyone seem to be having fun they do have laundry facilities a dollar 75 per wash load. And to dry a load was a $1.50. The dryer took about 40 minutes FYI .
They have a huge inflatable slide /water activity for the kids. They also rent golf carts for 30.00 a day that's a little pricey I think they would have more customers willing to rent at 20.00 a day.
You will be about 15 minutes from Busch Gardens and about 12 minutes to Williamsburg area..
The only negative thing I have to say about American heritage is the double talk I received with one of the reservation agent. We called a few days in advance to confirm our reservation and asked to stay longer at where our original placed us .We were told by this particular agent that no one can request or confirm a specific site they are handed out upon check-in because if a guest wanted to extend their stay they accommodate those guests who were here first which sounds reasonable. So I said.. great for asking to stay at our site longer I was then told (here is the double talk)that another guest has already reserved where we are but she could move us to a different site.
I said "you just told me no one can be confirmed a site until checkin and yet your telling me we cant stay longer because some is already confirmed on our site. "
By all accounts the campsite is not sold out or she would not have been ready to move us to another location for our extension therefore it appears this particularly reservationist is willing to confirm specific site for specific campers or maybe .it was just a simple miscommunication.
We've learned that many of the folks staying here in American heritage come here often and have there special sites they stay at only.
So I do believe this reservations had a Freudian slip.
We really enjoyed our stay here and we will recommend it to many many camper friends of ours. Their prices are on par with what it has to offer and its location and closing thought is their bath houses are by far much better than the koa up the road.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rachel W
ahrvpark, Manager at American Heritage RV Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind review. Sorry for any confusion with your site. Only group reservations are guaranteed the sites that we put them on simply so that they can all be together. They may not have explained that clearly. Have a great day! Hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I will first start off by saying half of the campground is under construction, lots of construction noise during the day. The WiFi is iffy and I am 15 feet from the hotspot it's actually nailed to a tree in my site. The cable quality is very poor, most channels are fuzzy at best. They advertise a military discount, they did not give me a military discount because the weekly discount was "good enough". Also after staying for over a week I asked about leaving one day early was shown a sign they have posted that they do not give refunds for early departures. No exceptions, I would just like to thank them for charging me for services which will not be rendered. To be fair they had a sign posted, it will be a lesson learned for me I will not be staying here again or any other park owned by these people. I will keep my eyes open for signs advertising what is effectively theft from now on. I want to also add that my experience here has been poor enough to motivate me to warn others, especially traveling military, by joining this site.

• Stayed: June 2014

It is unfortuate that you did not have a good experience . However, rarely will you find a business that doubles up discounts. You could have used your Daily 10% Military discount instead of the weekly discount, however the weekly gave you a better deal. As for charging you for your complete reservation, we had the site blocked off for you, therefore we were unable to rent it to anyone else. That is a normal procedure at Campgrounds. We have family member that serve in the Military and are very proud of supportive of them.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I called to reserve a spot. They said to save a spot they needed my credit card. I wasn't able to make it to the camp that night and ended up staying somewhere else. After getting home and seeing my credit card statement I see that they had charged my card. I emailed them and told them about charging me for something that I didn't receive. Their response is their policy is to charge people even if they don't stay. This was at no time stated on the phone nor is it stated on their website.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
ahrvpark, Manager at American Heritage RV Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Our standard policy is to tell all customers that there is 1 night charge for no-shows. We gave you the benifit of the doubt and refunded your one-night charge. Therefore, in all honesty, you should really state all the facts when making a claim.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from a wonderful weekend at Heritage American Rv Campground. The premium sites are definitely worth the additional cost, as the sites are slightly larger and come with a grill and fire pit. The campground is clean and well kept. The staff were courteous and helpful. We will definitely return to American Heritage

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jadyson
ahrvpark, Manager at American Heritage RV Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

So glad you had a nice time. Look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booked this based on a friend's recommendation. We were two families and as we requested they gave us sites that were facing each other. Unfortunately they also faced two other sites. Normally would not have been a problem but dogs on three sites were cause for some concern. Especially when others let their dogs roam. Not the campgrounds fault. The padded sites are always nice for set-up. The premium deluxe sites looked lovely. It was extremely clean and the Hippo slide was a big hit ($49 for the entire weekend for a family of 4 was very reasonable). the nature trails were also nice. The roads are a bit narrow. We would not say that the store was stocked very well but it was a short ride out to get food or pharmacy.
They are enlarging and adding more sites. It is a construction zone. If they had put us there I would have left as one other family did. It was dirt and concrete. Quite a mess and I can only think that because it was a holiday weekend they wanted the money rather than say they were booked up. The pool also needs repair. Concrete work mainly not really a big deal so don't know why it wasn't fixed. The loose concrete and cracks were a hazard and could also put costly holes in the pool liner so it would seem cost efficient to repair them. One ladder was broken and a guest had to go and tell them in order to get it fixed. It was fixed right away.
The proximity to area attractions was great and overall it was a nice place so we would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the back if you can due to construction.