Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Birthday Weekend”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to come up to Williamsburg for the weekend to do some Christmas shopping at the outlets and go to Christmas Town for our birthdays. I did some research a few days in advance to try to find a hotel that wasn't too expensive but was still nice. This hotel more than exceeded our expectations. When we arrived we were greeted by Jan who was just lovely and made our visit that much better. The hotel is wonderful but she made it feel like home. When checking in she up-graded our room to a suite as a thank you to my boyfriend for his service (he was in uniform) which was such a kind and unexpected gesture. My boyfriend really appreciated it. I'm always weary when booking hotel rooms because I am very picky about the comfort of beds and have had many sleepless nights in hotel rooms due to uncomfortable beds. The room was spotless and very spacious. The bathroom was also very clean and I am a stickler when it comes to hotel bathrooms. The bed was so comfortable with firm and soft pillows to pick from and very comfortable and soft linens. This hotel had exceptional customer service, was comfortable and clean, and not very expensive. I have stayed at many hotels in the Williamsburg area and this is by far my favorite. We will definitely be staying here again!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan D
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear wanderlusting57,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We hope that you enjoyed the birthday weekend. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean,safe, and comfortable place to stay. We use guest feedback to help us do that. Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you and your boyfriend had a good stay. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Williamsburg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My family spent one night here in two rooms. I did a big search of Williamsburg hotels as I wanted to ensure we had comfort, amenities, and space for a decent price (I'm indecisive and over-analyze things like this). This place was more than I usually expect from a Holiday Inn (but now I've raised my expectations). Staff were friendly and helpful without being over-bearing. Rooms were spacious, with great beds and plenty of pillows, and had everything I would expect (no mini-bar, just an empty fridge, which I prefer, plus the hotel bar is right at the bottom of the elevators). Tastefully decorated with comfortable sitting chair and desk and chair. No nasty thin and unwashed comforters like most hotels in this price range. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub, which were both open until 11pm (and even then we weren't shooed out, but just left on our own). The small fitness center is adequate. There are a lot of restaurants/shops right in the area. Coffee available in the lobby around the clock, in addition to coffee/tea and coffeemaker in each room. My only suggestion would be a little more lighting around the desk- my sister had to do some work and needed a bit more light. Not a deal-breaker in any sense though! I'm sure if I had mentioned it to the management they might have been able to lend an additional spare lamp or something- they were that helpful. I will recommend this place to anyone looking for a hotel in Williamsburg in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the road side and we were not bothered by any traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ashley M
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear w1ldflwrs,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really value all of your great feedback about your stay. We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay in Williamsburg. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for telling us your concerns about the need for more light at the desk area. We will make sure that we pass this feedback on to our staff. We use guest feedback to make the needed changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Monterey, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We booked a two night stay and from the minute we arrived we were made to feel perfectly at home. Jan at the front desk and the entire team were awesome and extremely knowledgeable about the area and how to enjoy it like the locals do. The room was clean, comfortable and a great value for the money! Will definitely be back. if you are going make sure to Ask Jan for any recommendations for food, driving and tours. She must be the mayor of Williamsburg....thanks for all the hospitality.

Room Tip: Just ask Jan!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrianVelo
Dear BrianVelom

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate you telling us about your time in Williamsburg. We hope that you both enjoyed it. Thank you for telling us your thoughts about Jan. We will make sure that we pass that feedback on to her. Thank you for staying with us . We hope that you may consider us again in the future.

Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on fellow trip advisors' reviews.
Overall, our stay was okay but not great. The front desk staff was very courteous. Check in was a breeze. We stayed over at two queen beds suite on the second floor. This is a new hotel but for some reason the color of toilet water was light brownish both in our room and in the restroom by the pool. The refrigerator was making a loud grinding noise so we turned it off but kept making the same noise so we ended up unplugging the unit. No big deal since we were not using the refrigerator. The toilet makes an extremely loud noise resembling those in flight. We can hear them in the middle of the night from other units as well. I was very disappointed when it was time to retire for the night and pulled a sofa bed out. The housekeeper apparently overlooked to change the bed sheet. I found numerous long curly hair as well as multiple short curly pubic hair on the sheet. I called the front desk and they sent the housekeeper on call to change them quickly.
Overall, I think the building may have some plumbing issues and housekeeping needs improvement but the front desk staff made the stay more tolerable.
Not sure if I want to return here after seeing those pubic hairs on the bed sheet however.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ddkmdFairfax_VA
GM515, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear ddkmdFairfax_VA,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy reading that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating. I apologize that we missed areas of importance such as your sofa-bed cleanliness. That area was certainly overlooked and we regret that we couldn't make that particular part of your stay enjoyable. I am pleased that we were able to resolve your concerns in a timely manner, however.

As far as the water, it was a city-wide issue that York County had experienced while fixing a break in the line down route 132 (the road that runs adjacent to us). It occurred around 2:00 PM in the afternoon, a time when the hotel is mostly empty. We cycled the water through our building for 10 minutes and resolved the issue quickly. I am sorry that this inconvenienced you, but if you had made us aware during the time of your stay, I would have liked to have offered a better resolution.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have shared your comments with our team in hopes of always improving our operations and guest experience. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like to add any other aspects of your stay or have any questions regarding future reservations. We would love to have you a second time around.

Regards,

Geoff Scheibel
Marlow, UK
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here for six nights to visit Jamestown, Yorktown and Colonial Williamburg. Received a very friendly welcome with a small gift for being a club member. Breakfast was good and was included in our rate which was a buffet at the weekend and $10 towards the a la carte menu during the week. We enjoyed returning in the evening for a swim and use of the hot tub. Would have been five stars if the room had been cleaner. Would also benefit from having somewhere to change for the pool.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank mbjackson
Dear mbjackson,,

Thank you for telling us about your extended stay with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed the Welcome gift bag as well as the hot tub and pool area. We value all guest feedback. Thank you for telling us your concerns about the cleanliness of the room. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your room. We will pass this very important feedback on to our housekeeping staff. We use guest feedback to make the necessary adjustments to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We hope that you may consider us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Willliamsburg Historic Gateway
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Jan at the front desk was excellent. She couldn't have been better. We had a suite and it was worth it for the kids early bedtime. Kids eat free was a nice bonus for our breakfast. Good location and friendly staff. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask if an upgrade is available.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dennis7219
HMPHotels, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, Williamsburg-Historic Gateway, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Dennis,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that you and your family stayed with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. Thank you for mentioning our great staff member Jan. We will make sure we pass that on to her. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Williamsburg Historic Area
Roxboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 November 2013

When I walk into this Hotel and they call me by name, it feels like I just got Home. Geoff, Jan, & the Staff take great care of me.....cook me Breakfast and Dinner in the Full Service Restaurant.....how awesome is that! This is my "Home away from Home" when I travel to Williamsburg, VA. See you guys in December for the Grand Illumination.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kirby49
Dear Kirby,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We value all of your feedback. Thank you for mentioning all of our great staff members. They always appreciate hearing great comments about their service. Thank you so much for staying with us. We will see you again soon.