“So Incredibly Disappointing . . .” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wedmore Place

Wedmore Place
Ranked #14 of 76 Hotels in Williamsburg
Chesapeake, Virginia
“So Incredibly Disappointing . . .”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I have gone to the reserve wine tasting every year for years at the Williamsburg Winery. Over the last several years, we watched Wedmore Place as it was built, and dreamed of the day that we could afford to stay there instead of elsewhere in Williamsburg as our annual weekend getaway. My husband recently got a promotion at work, so we decided that this was the year to splurge and stay at Wedmore Place. We opted for the “romance package”, as it had several amenities that we felt would make our stay that much more special. We chose a suite and booked our stay a month in advance, along with all of the appointment times for each of the added parts of the “romance package”.

Unfortunately, there was little to be romantic about. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a nice lady, handed a sheet of paper for us to read about our package, and instructed that our room was up the stairs and through the door. We have been to other B&B’s and Inn’s before, and have always been escorted to our room, and introduced to the property and the amenities. Several of the things that were advertised as being part of the “romance package” we had to ask for – that doesn’t make you feel like you are a special guest or there for a special package, but rather that you or your experience has been simply forgotten.

The suite was beautiful, the bed slept well, and the food at the restaurant was wonderful. However we will never again stay at this hotel. We spent A LOT of our hard-earned money on this weekend package, but didn’t feel that there was any attention to detail or service. The final blow was that the last thing we were supposed to have was a couples massage that had been scheduled upon the initial reservation a month earlier. We were told that there might be a problem with that when we checked in, but no one ever followed up with us. We continued to ask, and were finally told that they didn’t have a massage therapist available. The gentleman behind the desk shrugged his shoulders and simply said, “Sorry – I don’t know when you booked your appointment, but we can’t guarantee anything last minute.” I reminded him that we had scheduled this a month prior. There was no offer to compensate us in any way . . . I had to ask about any reimbursement for the lack of the massage appointment since we had paid for a “package”, and even that small reimbursement couldn’t begin to make amends for our complete disappointment in the whole experience.

We were so incredibly disappointed in the whole experience, that we simply packed up the next morning and left, vowing to never stay there or recommend it to anyone else. I have never left negative feedback before, and understand that sometimes things go wrong, but this whole experience was so lacking and we spent so much money, I felt I needed to make note of it here for other travelers.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank HWS801
kduffeler, Owner at Wedmore Place, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
I was disappointed to read of this guest’s difficult experience. It is certainly not in keeping with the standard of service that we strive to maintain at Wedmore Place. We are actively following up with the staff to see where the breakdown occurred and ensure that such does not occur in the future. The incidents related by this guest are simply unacceptable, and we will be following up with them personally to offer our apologies and attempt to rectify the situation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Lexington, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Wedmore is in a beautiful, rural setting with easy access to Williamsburg area attractions. Each room is uniquely designed with a wide range of room sizes and layouts and decorated with European themes. This is an especially good hotel for couples because of the quiet setting, in room wood burning fireplaces (tended to by the hotel staff) and some rooms have large, Jacuzzi tubs for two. At the time of our stay, the hotel had recently opened and the staff seemed to still be in learning mode. The breakfast selections were somewhat non traditional (keeping with the European theme) but the breakfast room service was very efficient. We look forward to a return visit in the future.

Room Tip: There seems to be a wide variety of room types. Ask for a larger room.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KYJman
Richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

The food, attention to detail and wine next-door made this a wonderful night away from my regular life. While I have known the Duffeler family for years and have alwas enjoyed their wine - I was quite impressed that they developed such a wonderful addition for travelers looking to spend the night, weekend or week in Williamsburg.

Room Tip: They are all unique, so choose based on your favorite region in Europe!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

I loved this place. Everyone on staff was friendly and went out if their way to make our stay pleasant. Our room was lovely, clean and comfortable. I am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed September 2011
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

I discovered Wedmore Place through SniqueAway. I made reservations for our anniversary in July and I broke my ankile and we couldn't go, so I wrote to Wedmore Place and they were able to move my reservation to September. I am so glad because it was a wonderful place. We ate all our meals either in the dining room or at the winery. Food was exceptional and the service was great too. Free winery tickets were included with our reservation.
Would highly recommend. And we will be back there soon.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger than the regular rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

It's a gem. The service was great. We ate our breakfast in the dining room each morning and had dinner, too. The food is wonderful! Croissants flown in from France and great coffee from Virginia. There are many little extras that make this a wonderful get away. We had free winery tickets included with our stay and that was enjoyable, too. I would highly recommend staying here if you are visiting Williamsburg without children. If you want a country inn that is away from the Historical district, this is just a short drive away.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bavaria and it was quiet and large enough. Choose the furnishing you like. You won...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

This was my first time staying at the Wedmore Place however certainly not the last! Truly, the Staff could not have gone out of their way more to insure my stay was perfect!

I travel a lot, mostly to boutique inn's and must say that this is one of my favorites! I will be back for sure and I know welcomed by name at this must stay Inn/Hotel. Truly Beautiful!

Wedmore Place, Thank you! :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo