“beautiful room” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
yorktown virginia
“beautiful room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2008

what a nice experience. the room was beautiful. beautifully decorated and quite quaint. you will not find a place like this on the peninsula-trust me i know i live there. the place is new and cant wait to see it in the spring and summer. staff treated me well and my friend. felt like i was a family member. do not judge it because it is brand new. the place has incredible potential. check it out for yourself. my friend who has been in europe for many years said it reminded her of many of the lovely places she had stayed.

• Liked — unique room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Wedmore for our honeymoon. We arrived the day after the "grand opening" and had the place to ourselves the first two nights. We had planned to go to another hotel/ resort midway through our week in Williamsburg. However, we found the staff and Wedmore very charming and just stayed. It is very peaceful at the Wedmore following a hectic wedding! Naturally, they still had a lot of kinks to work out- as others have noted- but we still enjoyed ourselves. I would trust the recommendations of the people who check you in as to the best rooms to stay in (they know the quirks of the place the best). We plan to go back for anniversaries.

• Liked — Quiet, restful location
  • Disliked — should include a few more complimentary perks, when the room we asked for was not available they didn't upgrade us but downgraded us
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LaRaineCD
Wilmington, DE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2008

This was the worst stay ever. I knew it had recently opened, but the web site implied all services were up and running - not true. Absolutely no sound proofing, an inexperienced staff. They did compensate us for some of the unpleasantries, but I plan to never return - even if they get their act together.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — sound proofing
2 Thank bigcitygirl
michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

We were married at the Winery in late October and when we saw that Wedmore would be opening the same year we were elated to be able to walk to our room after the reception and the descriptions of this small luxury hotel made it sound like the perfect cap to our weekend. Unfortunately we stayed here the first week they opened and while I expect some hiccups it was certainly below expectations. There were several places in the room, particularly the bathroom that needed paint touchups and what looked to be sloppy calking jobs around the trims. The bathroom was oddly laid out with narrow corridor and a mirror that was difficult to use, especially since it was the only one in the room. The only trash can was outside the room and as a female guest having a trash can in the restroom is a necessity. I had to ask at least 4 times before one was brought in. The room never appeared to be cleaned during our stay, I also had to ask numerous times to have the trash removed. All of the ammenities were not available while we visited either, the massage, gym, etc. The staff seemed ill prepared for opening and very confused for the most part although they were all very friendly and soom went out of their way more than others to accomodate us while taking photos the day of the wedding. I agree with the prior poster that there should be more of a relationship with the Winery.

This hotel has great potential, the rooms are all quite unique, the hotel is set in beautiful surroundings and the detail and period pieces throughout allow you to see the painstaking detail that went into the planning and building of the hotel. It is great for a couple looking for a quiet, romantic escape but staying there opening week it seemed like a discount should have ben offered:) I would visit again if I hear more positive experiences.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staying during the first week of hotel openning.
1 Thank adeck
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2007

My husband and I stayed here on its opening night (we didn't know this was the first night open) in October. Its a lovely property. Its right next to the Williamsburg winery. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to mean anything, as there are no free tastings at the winery, which usually happens when the two are associated. The hotel was not ready to be open for business, but I do hope that they will be able to put in all those little touches that people look for when staying at a luxury B&B. There were no tissues in the room, nor any water glasses. When we came back to the room on Saturday at 4PM, the room hadn't been made up (there were only a few other couples staying at the place). There was no wine and cheese, or afternoon tea. Breakfast wasn't very good, although it was in a very pretty room. The staff and the owner were all very nice and welcoming, but the staff were very young, and didn't seem to have any actual hotel experience. We stayed in the Lombardy room, which was very small, and the mirror in the bathroom was impossible to use, as it sat on two corners of a wall and met in the middle. The lights also went down the mirror, and were way too bright. The decor of the bathroom did not match the rest of the room. I do hope that this hotel is able to get its act together soon in terms of service, amenities and food, as its a nice location, and I would like to go back at some point--but I don't know when it will be ready. I also think that they should take better advantage of their relationship with the winery and have wine tastings, etc.