“More beautiful than the pictures!”
Review of Wedmore Place

Wedmore Place
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I were completely blown away by not only the elegance and beauty of the grounds and hotel, but also the high level of service and attention to detail paid by this hotel. The hotel iteself is modeled after an old, French farm type estate. The exterior appears authentic, despite the fact that you can see that it was only recently constructed (2007). The lobby is well decorated with suits of armor, leather sofas, lots of wood molding and large fireplace. It was oddly quiet; I felt like I should wisper when speaking with the woman at the desk, in fact, I think she was wispering as well...I wonder if it was for the same reasons. The walk down the hall to our room, #8, "Champagne," passed by several ornate paintings and antique reproduction furnishings...very nicely done. The building is structured into a semi-circle around a large courtyard in the center, which has a fountain; This is visible from the hallways as you walk to your room. The rooms themselves are breathtaking. The antique styled furnishings have clearly been professionally picked and arranged. The Bathroom, while narrow, was actually very comfortable and spacious, housing both a shower and separate tube. There is a large window facing a wooded area, which very much gives you the feeling of seclusion in the forest. The bed and linens were very clean and comfortable -- I had a great night's sleep! There is a large fireplace with a marble frame and mantle which added a lot of character to the room. In fact, the room had a faint scent of burnt firewood. Unfortunately, the fireplaces can only be used in colder climates, but just having it there added a lof of character to the room. There was complimentary water, chocolates and a voucher for a complimentary glass of wine in their restaurant. Also provided were passes to the winery tour at the adjoining vinyard, only "230 paces" away from the front door of the lobby. The tour was excellent, as was the wine, it really added to the experience of staying at Wedmore. The restaurant at the hotel was first rate -- on the pricey side, I think for 2 of us we paid nearly as much as our room for the night, but nonetheless, excellent -- it may have been the best filet mignon I've ever had!

In summary, I believe a stay at Wedmore is a must, especially for couples, staying in Williamsburg. It is an excellent value due to its very reasonable price tag and because of the little things they provide to make it a pleasant stay. You really do get the feeling that the owner didn't build the hotel just to create a successful business, but because they truly cared to give their guests a genuine and memorable experience. I booked our next trip to Wedmore for New Years before we checked out!

Room Tip: I highly recommend a "Classic" room, which is not much more costly than the least expensiv...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights in July. Peaceful setting, friendly staff and great overall ambiance. Our room was spacious and comfortable. Had two great nights sleep on their comfortable pillows and bed. Love that they left bottled water for us in the room daily. Breakfast was also very nice. I wouldn't stay anywhere else if we visit the area again. The in house restaurant was also just lovely.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and I wanted a different type of place to stay for our 15th wedding anniversary and the Wedmore more then exceeded what we were looking for. Its a beautiful place, each room is decorated differently. The breakfast was amazing and so was the staff. They were more then friendly, always asking if there was anything we needed or if there was anything that they could do to make our stay better. We will be coming back for another stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2013

It was absolutely beautiful. The bed was comfortable, it was very clean and we loved the big bathroom. My 6 year old grandson, when he walked in.........he said "ooooo, Mamaw, this is fabulous. We took lots of pictures with the armor and even put the helmet on that was in our room. We will absolutely stay again.

Sincerely, Donna M. Brown

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna B
Reviewed 29 June 2013

What an amazing place! The rooms were full of character, we were even upgraded for our stay. Upon arrival we were treated to a glass of wine by the pool, which turned into a bottle. What a relaxing afternoon. Had dinner at the Café that evening and the food and service was absolutely top notch.

The next morning we had an amazing complimentary breakfast of quiche and croissants. After some exploring we went on the winery tour and tasting. The female tour guide (forgot her name!) was so engaged, knowledgeable and fun! The tastings were great and we went home with a few bottles as souvenirs.

Overall, an amazing one night stay...just wish we could have stayed longer, but we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChrisRN1020
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just recently stayed at The Wedmore Place and cannot stop talking about it! The staff were very accommodating. We stayed in the Champagne room the first night which was just so beautiful, just like the photo's but unfortunately I could not handle the air in the room due to the wood burning fireplace. Not sure when used last. Barbara the very next day without hesitation arranged another room (32) that was perfect for us. This was a business trip for hubby but a mini vacation for me. I read many reviews prior to booking and I can vouch for all of the great features this Place has to offer. Breakfast as they say was superb! The croissants were truly amazing .... so much so I could not resist having 2 on some days. Beds were very comfy and the sheets must be 800 count. Spotless room, felt like I went back in time European style, great library to sit in and relax with a book. Weather was perfect during my week so the pool was refreshing. If you stay at Wedmore Place....you must take the wine tour with Scott and eat at the Tavern. Would highly recommend The Wedmore Place to my family and friends and certainly stay here if I were to visit Williamsburg again.

Room Tip: Any room is special at The Wedmore Place. Pending at what time of year considered, the smell of woo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nancy J
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We absolutely LOVED our visit. Staff was super friendly and accomodating. Room was exactly as it was pictured on the website. Winey tour was good and lunch at the on site Tavern was delicious....they make their own bread!! We will never stay anywhere else if we are in the Williamsburg area again! Pool was good too and the breakfast was yummy. Hats off to all that work here, excellent service, etc. Thanks for a great time !!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Scandanavia room and loved it
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple