“Perfect Weekend Get-away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Perfect Weekend Get-away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Wedmore place for 1 night to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary, and it was absolutely perfect! We were greeted with warm hospitality where the receptionist upgraded our room for no additional charge! The hotel is located away from the busy streets, nestled next door to the Williamsburg Winery. By staying at the hotel, all guests receive a complimentary tour & tasting at the winery (such a great bonus, and a great date for couples!). Also, each guest received one free glass of wine at Cafe Provencal from 5:00-7:00pm. Our room was absolutely beautiful, gorgeous decor and a comfy king-sized bed. A delicious complimentary breakfast was included the next morning, and you could order additional items if desired. Overall, it was a great value, and all the extra perks really made our stay special.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VBeachRunner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Sarasota, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

This place was attractive to the eye upon first glance, but once I actually spent some time in the hotel, I was severely disappointed. The bathroom was tiny and contrived, it felt like I was taking a shower on a boat. For the price you pay and the kind of place it appears to be, these bathrooms were the smallest and strangest I have seen.

The worst part - I could not successfully get any sleep, because the entire place is hardwood construction like an old home, meaning you can hear EVERYTHING, including the overbearing owner's loud, fast footsteps as she circles the hallway all morning long micro-managing her employees and trying to impress guests with 'service' that is really just inconvenient and in this case, hindering most enjoyment of staying in the hotel. The bed was against the wall that was adjacent to the hallway - yet another bad move. Even with earplugs in, I could hear every last thing, including the drawers being opened in the room above me, people having conversations in the lobby, etc. If nothing else, you should be able to get a good sleep at a hotel. Don't count on it here.

And each time you want ice you have to summon someone from the front desk, which is about as inconvenient as it gets. It may seem like great personalized 'service' from their end - but really its just a big pain. People don't want to call everyone sometime they want some ice - and its not like theres a fridge in the room either........Anyway I assumed the staff have to run down to their 'restaurant' - Cafe Provencal - to retrieve the ice - a restaurant which does not resemble ANY real french dining I have had in the past in the States, and certainly does not warrant its excessive pricing.

The hotel makes no effort to bring guests food either, unless you want to order the overpriced breakfast room service from their restaurant, which was extremely underwhelming. I never knew an omelet with crab, spinach and goat cheese could possibly be so disappointing. Not to mention a croissant which clearly was not made in house, bought somewhere else, and not even a real croissant shape. How you can claim to be 'European', have a 'french' restaurant, and then not even have a real croissant?

The wireless internet connection was horrible, so I got a network cable from the front desk and then after a long time searching, had to call them into my room in order to find the ethernet plug, which was behind a gigantic armoir in the room - yet another task that requires calling the front desk for help for something that I should be able to do on my own and not having to keep inviting staff into my temporary living space, nor should it require having to move a very tall, heavy piece of furniture in order to access it. At least once I used the cable the internet was good, but I am probably one of few who read in the hotel book that they have network cables and then also made sure to find the hidden data port.

Their 'library' downstairs was slightly impressive looking but disappointingly full of cheesy magazines and lots of novels that you can buy at a grocery store, peppered with a few european classics here and there.

One good thing to say - the employees and especially night-time clerk were friendly and very helpful with every request, and unfortunately I could tell that they were clearly under the thumb of the over-bearing owner, micro-managing most of their moves during the times of day she is there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank seventhitythree
kduffeler, Owner at Wedmore Place, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
At Wedmore Place we strive to provide a unique experience based on superior service in an atmosphere of casual elegance. We welcome comments from our guests and try to remain open to constructive criticism. We also understand that we cannot please all people, and we must respectfully assert that many of the comments made by seventhitythree are simply inaccurate.

Our hospitality manager (not an owner), enjoys a warm relationship with her staff and is very hands on, expending great effort to see that everything is going smoothly and all guest needs are met. We have addressed with her the need to do this as quietly as possible.

We take particular pride in our food service. Room service is available for all meals by arrangement. Our croissants are imported from France in par-baked form and baked fresh daily here on the premises. Our restaurant, seeks to embody the modern French style of cooking (based on our decade of residence in that country), and our menu is posted online so that guests can review what is available in advance.

Our internet is Cox high speed, and provides the fastest internet connection currently available in our area. We are reviewing each room to ensure that the Ethernet cable plugs are readily accessible in the event that the wifi is not at peak performance.

Our library is an example of the European experience we seek to offer – books are available in four languages, on subjects including geography, history, politics and yes, modern literature.

As part of the family that founded and operates Wedmore Place, my cell phone number is placed in every room; it is unfortunate when guests, for whatever reason, do not feel comfortable bringing their concerns to us prior to check-out, when we still have a hope of addressing and resolving them.
Gloucestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Smart Inn/Hotel with delightful rooms and lovely bathroom. Plenty of parking space and only ten minutes by car to Historic Williamsburg. Hotel has both a restaurnat and a cafe/bistro attached. The latter being useful if you do not fancy 'fine dining' or when the main restaurant is full. The Hotel is popular for weddings, and if you are there at the weekend (as we were) it is possible to get overlooked at the expense of the wedding party guests. This was the case at breakfast when we were intitially offered paper cups for coffee, since they had a large party to deal with. The matter was however soon rectified by the friendly young serving staff who make up for their lack of experience and overall direction, by their pleasant manner.

Next to the hotel is theWilliamsburg Winery and hotel guests are offered a complimentary tour and tasting. Well worth doing.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MosesGloucestershire
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

My husband and I spent the weekend at Wedmore. We were in Williamsburg for a wedding. Most guests stayed at Williamsburg Inn/Lodge so we wanted to be far away from the madding crowd. We were so happy we picked Wedmore. From the moment we arrived, we were made to feel at home. We stayed in the Provence room and it truly was a taste of southern France. Dinner at Cafe Provencal was ambitious and the Chef did not disappoint! Continental breakfast the next morning w/flaky croissants, an outstanding deep tissue massage and then to the wine tasting next door at Williamsburg Winery and lunch at Gabriel Archer tavern. So much fun. We bought a case of wine to bring home. After the wedding in 100degree heat, it was refreshingly comfortable to get another good nights sleep at the Inn. We hope to return again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Wedmore for our anniversary and it didn't disappoint. I always worry that the photos on the website are outdated and the place won't actually look like the pictures. The images you see on the Wedmore website are EXACTLY what you get when you arrive....which is a good thing.

Neither my wife or I are big wine drinkers, but we decided to go on the complimentary tour and tasting anyway (it is included with your reservation.) We both really enjoyed it. It was interesting to learn about the history of the winery and to see some of the wine making process. Neither of us had never been to a wine tasting, so we were able to check this off our bucket list....and watching her face as she tasted the different wines made it worth the walk.

A couple of tips that might be useful to pass along.....

When you get your confirmation you will see a room number listed. That is the room you are booking (for example #8 for Champagne room.) If you go to the web site, you can see exactly which room you are getting. If you are not happy with that choice, contact them and give them a couple rooms that you do like. They are very accommodating and are easy to work with in getting you into a room that you are happy with.

The second tip is one I should have inquired about and not "assumed" anything. On our reservation I made a note that we were coming for our anniversary (that is all the note said.) When we arrived in our room, there was a bottle of champagne on ice and two champagne glasses. I "assumed" those were included as a nice gesture for our anniversary and complimentary.....I "assumed" wrong.

Upon checkout I noticed a charge from the cafe that wasn't ours. I asked about it and they said it was for the champagne I ordered. I told them I didn't order champagne and they said it was in my notes that I wanted champagne (which it wasn't....note only said it was our honeymoon.) Anyway...it wasn't for a huge amount...we had such a great time...and we did each drink a glass, so I just ate the charge.

Just be aware....if you get champagne in your room and you didn't order it....ask before you open.

However, that was such a minor bump in the road to an otherwise perfect nights stay that I wouldn't hesitate going back there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Buzzard05
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Wedmore place over Valentines Day weekend. Upon arrival it was very clear that this place was very upscale and passionate about customer service. We were greeted by eager bell hops to help us with our bags and show us to our rooms. The individual checking us in made it clear that if we needed anything, no matter what it is, to contact them.

We were shown to our room and the aesthetics of the inn were amazing. It has a European look and feel due to how it has been decorated. As we later learned the owners of the Winery and Inn traveled throughout Europe to find antiques to decorate each of the Inns Rooms and Common Areas and it showed. I've never stayed at an Inn which each room is uniquely decorated.

The rooms were immaculate and very romantic. The bathroom was equipped with a huge soaking bathtub which was perfect for sipping wine and relaxing. Also, each room contains a real wood burning fireplace. All we had to do was call the front desk and the bell hops would run over to our rooms with wood and start a fire for us.

Another surprise was that when we went to the Wedmore cafe in the morning we were greeted by Kristin Duffeler (one of the owners of the property and winery). One would think that in a multi-million dollar operation like this you'd never see an owner and we were greeted by one of them in a common gathering place like the cafe just to insure that our expectations were met. She even gave us her cell phone number just in case we needed anything or had any questions.... WOW!

The Williamsburg Winery is about a 2 minute walk away from the Wedmore Place. My wife and I took the Reserve tour. Our guide was great. We were able to see the whole process from how the grapes are grown to how the wine is bottled and packaged. In my experience most wineries only show portions of the process and miss some of the steps but Williamsburg gives the full Monte which I really enjoyed. Another part of the tour that I really enjoyed was that the winery has a history room which displays a rare wine bottle collection which encompasses hundreds of years of history. Also, in the history room there is information on special archeological finds on the property relating to the colonial period which we found very interesting.

At the end of the tour we had our tasting. Many of the wines we tried had won very big awards in Europe or received special recognition by some of Europe’s top wine experts and judges. I'm not a wine expert but I liked all of them and my wife and I bought a few cases before we left to add to our collection. I was also happy that the winery offers an array of wines for purchase affordable prices. We loved there Two Schilling Red which was $8.00 just as much as there Virginia Trianon which was around $30.00.

After reading some of the initial unsatisfactory claims on trip advisor I can definitely say that those all appear to be related to the start-up of the Inn from a couple of years ago. This place has their act together and you won't be sorry if you go here. The Williamsburg Winery and Wedmore place will definitely be a place my wife and I plan on repeating as well as recommend to our friends and family.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WineGuy70
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

Wedmore Place is simply elegant! The staff was very helpful and professional. We loved that they provided us with a free tour of the Williamsburg Winery which is only a few steps out the front door. We absolutely loved the winery and the tour was fantastic!
We purchased a lot of wine! :-) The room was amazing and breakfast in the morning a real treat that we won't forget! Wedmore Place is a true gem in a very romantic setting. Be sure to do your homework and read up about the family history before you visit. It will give you a better appreciation of the architecture and the antiques within the hotel. This would also be a beautiful setting for a wedding! I highly recommend you visit!!!

• Stayed October 2009