“Combination fine dining and cooking class”
Review of A Chef's Kitchen

A Chef's Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 393 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A very different dining experience. Diners are seated in 3 rows, each elevated above the other, facing the chef in his kitchen work space. The chef prepares each of the courses in front of you, explaining what he is doing, and more importantly, why he is doing it that way. They have positioned a camera above the cooktop and a monitor to the right side. This made it very easy to view what was going on. However, it would have been even better to allow the camera to be able to swivel to view the food prep area, not just the cooktop.

Each course is pared with a different wine. The wines are all modestly priced and available for purchase in the small storefront where you walk in.

The menu changes periodically, and each course was very tasty. For instance, I do not like vegetables, but the summer vegetable soup was delicious and to my wife's and my amazement, I ate all of it.

Diners are provided with recipe's for each course, but some diners observed that what the chef did did not conform to the printed page. The chef acknowledged this. They should button that up.

The chef has a sense of humor and that makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

There are newer reviews for A Chef's Kitchen

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Pace yourself.

The night started with a "Edamame soup with Pickled Carrots and Caramelized Shallots Soup" you can eat it cold or warm "superb".

Next a "Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, Cave-aged Blue Cheese Heirloom Cherry tomatoes and avocado", thought it would be overwhelming but honestly blue cheese covered the flavor of the asparagus and the bonus was the cornbread served with it (amazing)!!

Next a "Salmon Ravioli with bell pepper and parsley infused olive oil, enjoyed watching how it was made.

Ending with a Roast Rib Rack of Berkshire Pork with French horn mushrooms, apples, apple jack brandy and Mascarpone smashed garlic and red skin potatoes with spring onions".

At this moment I wanted to tell my Mother... I'm sorry but he has you on this one Mama. Last which honestly I could not finish was "Mocha Pot au Creme with Toasted Meringue and Strawberry Drizzle". With the specific fine wines chosen and the great atmosphere. Going alone was not bad at all. Worth every cent! I will be back.

1  Thank AnnaWioletta
Reviewed 19 June 2014

While staying in a cottage in Gloucester VA, my wife navigated my driving to Williamsburg, but did not tell me where we were going or what we were doing.

Arriving a few minutes early, we shared the small lobby with others, waiting for the doors to the dining room to open. While waiting, we perused the wine selection, noting that each bottle was available for $10.

Once inside, we found our seats to be right in front of the work area of Chef John Gonzales. Before sitting, we were offered a glass of champagne and some lovely treats, like a cheese and cracker combo, or balls of goat cheese rolled in crushed pistachios. That took the edge off, and set the stage for a memorable dining experience.

Through the courses, each was paired with an appropriate wine, and each was a compliment to the beautiful dishes that were served. Everything was made from scratch, explained in entertaining detail, and was absolutely delicious.

Clear mushroom broth over delicate veggies made for a great starter, and things got better from there!

Gently cooked and delectable large shrimp were served with a perfect white wine.

The main course was an unbelievable generous portion of beef tenderloin with smashed potatoes, topped with a Chimichurri sauce. The meat was browned on the grill, then roasted while previous courses were made and served, and there was great detail about how this dish was done, literally to perfection. As someone who loves to cook with adventure, it had to be one of the best dishes I've ever had.

On top of the 5 Star dining, the atmosphere was light, interactive, and full of laughter. Chef John is a Master, not only in his "cooking", but in his informative and humorous delivery. His sidekick, Chef Nick was one step ahead of all that was going on, and both chefs made sure that the wine was up to the standard of the meal.

After dessert, we so enjoyed a few minutes of chatting with John and Nick, asking questions, and just enjoying the moment. They even gave us a small sample of some delicious "medium hot" pepper flakes from far away (Aleppo).

I would never find myself in the Williamsburg area without making reservations to A Chef's Kitchen. If you are a fan of cooking, a fan of Good Eating, and are looking for a truly memorable experience, get reservations EARLY! These folks are Pros!

2  Thank John B
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

It was surprise trip with my fiancé just days before our wedding. There was a piano player serenading everyone while sampling some of the chefs amazing appetizers and sipping starter wines. They prepp while you sit auditorium style enjoying and taking it all in. You can see everything going to be prepared for the night and recipes in the handout at your seat. The 2 chefs cooking are kind and open for questions at anytime. They were a lot of fun. You are watching, learning, and tasting ordourves, salad, soup, grilled shrimp, then a nice serving of Beef Tenderloin with saffron potato mash and served up vanilla custard with strawberry topping. For each couse they bring a new wine to be paired with the next dish. They even celebrating us getting married with a personalized message written in chocolate on our dessert plates. It was well worth the cost and a great experience. I cannot wait to go again. Maybe for our 1 year anniversary! Menu changes depending on season but beef Tenderloin is served 2 months out of the year. JUNE AND CHRISTMAS.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Got a reservation at the last minute for a Friday night. They did everything they could to squeeze me in. Chef John is so comfortable in the kitchen & in front of an audience. You get a little bit of the science, of cooking as well. Food is so fresh & well prepared & you learn how to do it. Wine pairings are perfect. A great meal & a fun evening out If you want to go on a Saturday plan well in advance (about 8 weeks or so) If you love great food & cooking, don't miss this one!! I sure won't.