“They Blew it Bigtime” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“They Blew it Bigtime”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I booked this property so that my family could crash after a long summer day at Busch Gardens. We arrived in the parking lot at 7:30 PM and we were on our way to another nearby property by 8:15 PM. This place hit us with a double whammy of filth and spoiled food.

The room they initially offered was designed for someone on a wheel chair and it had a nursing home feel to it. We could deal with this for one night, however, as we began to unpack we noticed water damage and mold embedded next to the showerstall and the rail installed next to the toilet was completely rusted. The overall appearance of the room was an immediate downer. We explained our discontent at the front desk and they offered to find us another room. We agreed and allowed them time to find another room while we went to the restaurant.

The restaurant was totally empty (should have been a clue) but we stayed and ordered a few sandwiches so we could eat and get to bed. The first course was a chef's salad...immedately when the plate was placed on the table we caught a whiff of bad meat The ham on the salad was clearly old and spoiled. That was it. We canceled the dinner and also canceled our room reservation. The front desk staff was very nice and understanding. I also felt a bit bad for them as I could tell they were trying to do what they could with a property that was clearly not ready for prime time. We secured a room at the Double Tree about 3 miles away for almost the same exact price and enjoyed a 3 star hotel for the evening.

The Ramada Williamsburg needs to stop taking taking reservations, stop taking people's money, close down for a period of time, study the extensive negative feedback their previous guests have posted all over the internet and fix up this property. Clean it up! Get rid of the mold! Install bright lighting to welcome theme park weary travelers, upgrade the restaurant, stock fresh food. If they want to charge $79.00 per night (and more) plus tax then they have to do their part and earn it.

Room Tip: This hotel is not ready for your stay. They need time to get this property ready for the hospitalit...
4 Thank Keithmic
Keys_Hospitality, Owner at Ramada Williamsburg East Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Guest,
It is so unfortunate that you chose not to stay at the hotel, and somewhat unfair that you chose to assume that your extremely limited experience at the hotel must somehow expand to every part of the hotel. Unfortunately, the front desk made an error and checked you into a room that still needed renovation. You should not have been checked into that room, and it was our unfortunate error that this happened, and we have put better procedures in place to ensure that rooms that need renovation are not exposed to guests. You refused to even look at the new room we had prepared for you. Yet, because we are a customer focused hotel, we allowed you to cancel your reservation for no fee. We kindly invite you to return to the hotel, and stay in one of our newly renovated rooms, go swimming in our huge newly opened saltwater pool, and enjoy the fabulous service at our great breakfast buffet (it's free).

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Princess Anne, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Okay for the price and close to Busch Gardens and other attractions. Nothing spectacular but clean and the staff is friendly. Free breakfast was nice with the kids. Was nice to have a bit more than continental. Was certainly a big step up from the Travelodge where we canceled after seeing how dirty and nasty it was.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kellam21853
Keys_Hospitality, Owner at Ramada Williamsburg East Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. I am glad that you took note of our great staff. I have a lot of pride in our staff and continue to be impressed with their commitment to making our guests' stay as perfect as possible. Next time your in town, stay with us and try the Ramada Hot Wings at our restaurant. It's listed as an appetizer, but it's big enough for a meal.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

The staff at Ramada is wonderful, they did everything i possibly asked for to accommodate me and make my friends feel welcome. I will be coming back here on my next vacation. The bed was comfortable, the breakfast was great, i had a flat screen TV, and also the shower was nice and warm. I looked at the indoor pool and it definitely looked like it would be ready to go in about 3 days, water was in and concrete was laid. YAY! You should definitely give this hotel a shot !

Room Tip: The restaurant makes Excellent burgers ! Copper scroll i believe the name was.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
Woodside, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

While the price was reasonable for our mini getaway for a family of 5 - the rooms were small, indoor pool was under construction and we felt unsafe at this location. The employees at the hotel were extremely helpful but it didn't alleviate the situtation. To make matters worse, on both nights, someone was trying to break into our room.

The hotel is pretty big - it offers other entrance ways where you can "swipe" your card thru a reader that is closer to your room side but that feature doesn't work. Hopefully you aren't stuck in a down pour the way we were trying to get into the building. Had to call someone at the front desk to get the door open.

The highlight I guess was the free continental breakfast...The wi-fi service was sketchy and frustrating when you have your kids trying to connect and keep themselves entertained...

Again, the location is excellent - there's a CVS, Rite-Aid, Wells Fargo and a Supermarket literally walking distance but not worth the price paid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ada D
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your input is important to us. As you noted, we do have a great breakfast. Thaddeous, our Guest Services Manager, always makes sure that our guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay here. Our pool is re-opened after renovations, and is one of the largest indoor pools in Williamsburg. Come again and swim away your cares.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I've booked the Ramada hotel thru Hotels.com .I was deeply disappointed in the way handled our reservation at Ramada in Williamsburg, VA last weekend 8/16 to 8/18.It is a worse situation in travel that my family have to been thru. We booked 2 rooms :non smoking rooms with 2 queen beds ( 1 room is for 2 nights and 1 room is for 1 night). Well after spent all day in Busch Gardens we showed up at the hotel at 11:00PM expecting to get the room and sleep ( it been a long day,it tooks us 5 hours to drove there from sterling VA at 6 am),we're all tired and my 6 years old boy already felt sleep in side the car .And guess what, they asked us to wait because they need to clean up the rooms and it will be ready in 10 minutes, really !?!?? We waitted for 25 minutes then the front desk person came and asked me if we want to take a King side bed rooms with sleeping sofa intead ! I've asked him well how longer will wait for the room that we've booked is ready ? He answered : about 10 more minutes .Ok fine ,I'll wait then. Another 20 minutes gone by still no room! Now only 1 person in the front desk ,his name's Taylor ,I asked him again is my rooms are ready , he looked at the paper on the desk and said : "I'm sorry we out of 2 queen side beds ,if you want to take a King side bed with sleeping sofa we have for you now."
Wow, for all those time that I've been waitting for them and now they told me it was no queen side beds rooms that we've booked ? Do I have any choice ? Its alright, I need a room for my son can lay straight sleep so I decided to take it. Then he want to double check and asked other person go to the room ( I believe he is the room service man),he came back shortly and said there is no sleeping sofa in that room!!! Ok, they will bring the roll over bed for us,ok that's fine. The service man came back with the first roll over bed to the front desk for Taylor to make a bed because he doesn't know how and when he came back with the second roll over bed, I was shock to see this matress condition:it broken and so dirty! It seem like you pick it up from the trash on the road! I've told Taylor just give me the first roll over bed for 1 room,the other room my husband and I will share with my son in the King side bed ! He asked me : are you sure? I said: yes !
Then he took the roll over bed to the room and came back in 5 minute gave me the news : I'M SO SORRY , WE HAD ONLY ON ROOM LEFT .
Can you believe that ?!?! It's almost 1am and we still stand there in the empty lobby of Ramada to deal with the dishonest ad disorganize of the Hotel management.What is happened with the other room? Simple he said some one else already in there! I aked for the manager but he wasn't there,Taylor could not get to Bruce ,his boss.So he said he have to find another hotel for us t if any hotel available , he made some phone calls and told me other hotel have 2 rooms but smoking room,I don't want that. So finaly he found 2 rooms at Travelodge 7 minutes away but he needed the authorization form to sign by his manager to bring over at the time I check in with the hotel , Mr.Bruce wasn't answer his phone so we kept waitting another 10 minutes and yes- Bruce called back and Taylor stayed on the phone with Bruce and Crist ( work at the Travelodge front desk) .Taylor repeat on the phone to Bruce what have Crist told him that Bruce have to come in the morning to pay with the credit card to Travelodge after argeed to tranfer my family there. OMG this night mare still not over yet,so after they found a hotel for us 30 minutes wait for the manager responded to give Taylor authorization to transfer us to Traveloge at 1:45 am 8/17, when we check in Travelodge , Crist told me Bruce just pay only for 1 night so for my second night I have to pack and go back to Ramada ! Ok,it was my husband Birthday 8/17 and my son Birthday 8/18 we took our family members to Busch Gardens for the very first time and choosen this hotel and hope will come back and stay in the future because it location,we just want to let it thru so we can enjoy our family time together. I've checked in Ramada the on second night and the room is mix match things put together ,it is room 510 ,it still under renovation,terible !! And when I checked out at 10 am there was no body or the hotel Ramada manager see me or hand over any letter to apology what so ever to cause us in this ordeal . I still in shock in this trip to think about the horrible Ramada.
Yesterday I recieved a responded from Hotels.com sincerest apology for this matter and they contacted to Ramada on my behalf and spoke extensively to Ramada hotel staff member (she) , she stated: 'In their systems she did not locate notes indicating issueds with either reservation accurred and that seemed both rooms were given two queens booked .' !!!!! Wow !
Ok Mr.Bruce we want to see how will you respond on this matter ,it is not fair at all for all of the traveler to have this horible expierience by your hotel and your careless about your guest. I'm sure you remember this matter ,it just last Satuday . I hope you will take this matter seriously so no family have to go thru to this ordeal,most of us come to Williamsburg,VA to have a good time with our children and our family so please don't ruined our time.

Rooms
3 Thank Kathy N
Keys_Hospitality, Manager at Ramada Williamsburg East Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
So sorry that you had a poor experience at the hotel, but no, there was no dishonesty involved. Because 3rd Party Booking Services (e.g. Booking.com) had booked people at the hotel after we had closed the hotel for new reservations, we were over-booked. We made every effort to accommodate every guest, but fell short, and you had every right to be frustrated. Your night's stay was free, covered by us, as compensation for your inconvenience. Your behavior, however, was unacceptable, and threatening violence to my front desk staff, who were working hard to accommodate you, is not something that I will tolerate. The third-party booking integration problem has been repaired, but unfortunately, I must ask that the next time you stay in Williamsburg, please find other accommodations. I take pride in my staff, and there is never a reason to accuse them of dishonesty or misconduct. They deserve better.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location for shopping, amusements, historical learning experiences for every age to enjoy, just wish we could have stayed longer! A week is not enough! The room was nice, clean, smells new still. A few mechanical adjustments needed. The staff was most excellent! Dalton at the front desk is welcoming, friendly, and he did all he could to to address even the most demanding snotty northerners. It's a brand new hotel, a diamond in the ruff still. The staff was the reason I took my time to review them, southern hospitality is alive and plentiful! I look forward to returning with the family again next year! Was a great restful experience for us!

Location
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

First of all, the location is very good. CVS is just next building even no need to drive a car and many other retail stores are surrounding this hotel. Near from WaterCountry USA and Bush Gardens in just 5-10 minutes distance. VA beach is 1 hour distance.

Complimentary breakfast is just so-so, wifi internet speed is very poor, hard to see a full news website pages at a first trial. Most of all, I can hear outside noise in the room from corridor or swimming pool..

Room Tip: Avoid a room that close to outside pool.