“Stayed here by mistake -- still got lots of amenities for the price”
Review of America's Inn

America's Inn
America's Inn
Ranked #71 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Philadelphia, PA
“Stayed here by mistake -- still got lots of amenities for the price”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Passed by this place while looking for a coupon bargain at the Americas Best VALUE Inn down the road, got the two places confused, and ended up staying here. The price was ridiculously low ($35 grand total for two persons for one night) and the room had several amenities for this prices, so I can't complain. Just make sure you don't repeat my mistake!

The clerk at the desk must have known that I was looking for the hotel with the similar sounding name, as I showed the coupon I thought I would be using here -- but she said nothing. Interestingly, she gave us a rate far lower than what I was expecting.

The road this motel is located on features a wide variety of chain motels, touristy and fast food restaurants, convenience and discount stores, and shops trying to separate tourists from their money. All in all, a place with none of the charm and ambiance that draws people to Colonial Williamsburg, which is close by. Expect tourist central and you won't be disappointed by the general atmosphere of this immediate area.

Our room featured air conditioning, full bath, TV with 59 channels, fridge, microwave, phone, radio alarm clock, iron and board, and coffee maker. it was clean and well maintained, but lacked one thing I really wanted: internet access. I don't know if the motel had any kind of access, as the staff was nowhere to be found after 8 pm -- nobody at the front desk and no answer of the phone. Since the adjacent fast food restaurant offers free wi-fi, I just went there and bought a small soda -- thus giving me internet access for about $1. Not the best solution, but it worked.

I experienced none of the horrors reported by others, and the price was good for the number of amenities given. But this is truly a cheap place to stay. I recommend checking the room before paying for it, and be prepared to move on if it doesn't meet your needs. But, if it's as good as ours was, then you'll get a good bargain.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Long Island, NY
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I'll make this simple.
Pros: Hot shower w/good pressure, Nice cold A/C
Cons: The Wifi is only available down by the pool. The door lock worked about 50% of the time. The towels in the room are tiny. The pool was only open the first day we were there and it was extremely cloudy. There was a light outside our room that was flickering like a strobe light. My wife needed a bottle opener so she called the front desk. They did not have one but, luckily, the girl at the front desk had one on her key chain. She was about to go home for the night so my wife had to run her beer down to the lobby to get it open. The ice machines (in the pitch black hallway) near our room were all broken so I had to use the barely-working one on the floor below. No refrigerator in the room. Housekeeping did not come until the 2nd night (about 5:30pm) and, at that point, my son was napping. I asked them to come back in about 30 min because we were getting ready to go out for dinner. He nodded "yes" and no one came back until the following night. I don't believe he spoke English.

So to sum up, I would tell everyone I could to avoid this hotel like the plague unless they were reeeeeeeally strapped for cash.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank puzopia
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We arrived at America's "Best" Inn, Williamsburg, after a long drive and just wanted to crash.

We checked in in a very dated lobby and went to our rooms. They were filthy. The sheets had brown/yellow stains on so we asked for them to be changed. The staff were rude, and got new sheets out of a what appeared to be a dirty laundry basket, crumpled in a ball, to put on our bed!

There was a cigarette burn on the comforter in our "non-smoking" room, the bath tub was filthy, there were suspicious stains all over the wall next to the toilet, the sink was filthy, the room was thick with dust. The connecting door looked like it had been hacked away at with an axe, half the door handles were hanging off etc etc and there were big nails sticking out of the bed frame! The bin had never been wiped clean in its life- had red stains in that looked like blood and who knows what else!

Needless to say we checked out at the first opportunity and went to a much nicer inn very close by.

Would not reccoment this- AVOID IT!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank usatraveller2000
NC
Reviewed 2 July 2009

"Tea" at the front desk is very nice. She helped us after a bad experience at another hotel. She also helped me with directions to a resturaunt in the area. The room was very clean. The breakfast was very good and the breakfast room and bar were kept very clean.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank g110d
Blacksburg VA
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I booked our stay before I read the reviews here and I am glad I did. Had I heeded the 'advise' given by these 'reviews' I would have spent more money than necessary. We stayed for four nights. The staff was fantastic. The rooms were clean, neat, and comfortable. The pillows were not the normal paper thin things you find at hotels and the beds were very comfortable. My wife has severe allergies and this was the first time ever staying in a hotel that she did not have a sinus attack. My 11yr old son loved the pool and the gameroom. There are a number of places to eat within easy walking distance with a McDonalds practically right outside your room.

The only problem that we encountered was a lack of wi-fi in the rooms due to the ineptitude of Verizon. I was able to access the internet when I absolutely needed to by using the wireless in the lobby. When I discovered that the hotel had mistakenly double billed my credit card, the staff had the problem fixed in less than 10 minutes and the money was back in my account the next day.

If you expect the Ritz, don't bother. Go spend too much money elsewhere. If you want a great room for a good price, stay here.

Jon Reid,
Blacksburg, VA

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — Traffic made getting into the parking lot difficult at times.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 September 2008

PLEASE TAKE HEED TO ALL I'M ABOUT TO SAY!!!!!!! I read the reviews online before deciding and although none were positive the photos made me believe differently. When we got there we were so tired from our 8 hour drive that we were so ready to take a long shower and jump into a big comfy bed. First the key did not work for about 20 minutes, than we walk into a smokey , stinky room where the carpet was so dirty and wet. the tub and toilet was discussing. cigarettes were everywhere. we found a used condom on one of the beds, someone else birth control pills and other personal belongings. we slept on towels because it was so dirty. In the early morning i found out that the towels gave me a bad rash. We wanted to speak to the manager and the cleaning staff lied and sent in someone else to act as management so they would not get in trouble. WE HAD TO CHECK OUT. Please people i am the nicest person ever and not usually a complainer but we ae suing because i am pregnant and allegic to smoke and i got so sick after staying there. it is a hazard and they need to be shut down. DO NOT STAY HERE.......

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank faphrodite82
graham, nc
Reviewed 10 August 2008

ON my stay at this hotel I was ver disappointed to find that the description for this hotel was MUCH LESS THAN ACURATE. Rooms were in need of some repair, door jam into the connecting room was badgle damaged, would only stay closed with deadbolt, the shower had very low pressure, the tub was dirty, plaster on the ceiling was coming loose in several places. Rust stains on ceiling around vents from apparent water leaks. Pool that was supposed to be HEATED WAS NOT. On one occasion one of the underwater lights in the pool was out of its socket and floating in the water still attached to the wiring. The continential breakfast they advertised had no longer been available for about 2 months, they only served lunch and dinner in a restaurant they added and the prices were so high you couldn't afford to eat there.The wireless internet would not work unless you went to the lobby or ny the outside pool. THE ORGANIZATION AT THE FRONT DESK WAS TERRIBLE LOST OR MISSPLACED PAPERWORK ECT. I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE WANTING MORE THAN A PLACE TO STOP AND SLEEP IF NOTHING ELSE WAS AVAILABLE.

• Liked — the location close to several resterants
  • Disliked — the hotel in general
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank littlemansdad