“Warning -- Stay away from this one”
Review of America's Inn

America's Inn
America's Inn
Ranked #70 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Birmingham, Alabama
“Warning -- Stay away from this one”
Reviewed 6 July 2008

This was the worst hotel experience ever. First the door lock to the room didn't work properly. Had to pretty much bust the door in to get it to open. Second, the room was very nasty. The blankets and spread had white crusty stuff all over them, the carpet was real dirty, furniture was dirty and the sitting chairs had big holes in the arms. We complained to the desk clerk who was very rude, said she didn't have another room for us unless we wanted to pay more and we wouldn't be able to be refunded our money for the room. It was so bad we just left and went down the road to another city to get a room. I'll be working on getting my money back. This is not my idea of clean & friendly (website). I will never try another America's Best Inn anywhere again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rooms were very dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank dougnmim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ashland KY
Reviewed 28 June 2008

My husband and I keep asking ourselves why this place is still up and running. Yes it has a good location, but not much else. We were not met with much friendliness and the following ocurred:

* Room number 1 was in a part of the builidng that had no key. There was no lighting and felt unsafe. THere was an empty case of beer on the stairwell and smelled of trash. They moved us to room number 2

* Our second room smelled, had carpet stains, a leaking toilet and fridge (water all over the floor), and stained couch, with insects. The door also had to be kicked open! They moved us to room numer 3

*Room number 3 was decent, but not exceptional. I think it was one of the best rooms they could offer.

* Our neighbor spoke with us and told us he had been moved three times as well and in his room he found trash behind the TV, blood stains on the bedspread, smells, and as they were watching TV a mouse ran across the room.

*We chose this hotel for the good low price, location, free internet services, and free b-fast....but....

*False advertising about the b-fast and the internet. We could not get INternet services the entire three days we were there and they just kept saying they were working on it. Also, the free breakfast theyadvertise has not been served in a few months now.
We asked them why they were falsely advertising. No answer.

*ONe night we came back to find our room door totally standing wide open with all of our belongings in view from the hallway.
The door was unlocked and open and our room had not been made up. We were 100% positive we locked it and doublechecked the lock before we left that morning. The staff would offer no explanation as to why the door was left open or why the maid staff didn't attempt to clean our room.

wow. We are not complainers usually, but this was the worst hotel experience we have ever had, and judging from these reviews others agree. How do they stay open? We thought about disputing the credsit card charge but we aren't sure if this would qualify.

We complained and asked to speak to the manager. He was never available. Once we insisted they call him and they did but said he was getting in the shower and would call us later. He never called and we waited an hour before we had to go to a scheduled tour. We told them we didn't think we should have to pay for this stay but they did not agree. They did give us one night deduction though which was something at least, but not really enough in my opinion.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Akiser2413
Norfolk, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Lets see, for starters, the Hotel was easy to find. There was plenty of parking, and the staff was courteous. It all went down hill from there.

When we walked into the room, the first thing I noticed was that the door handle was completely broken. It could not lock, or even close properly. There were 2 light bulbs out (out of a total 5) throughout the room. The curtain was broken, and though we still had privacy, it would have been nice to be able to let some sunlight in. I found a filthy (mud and what looked like food) covered towel behind the bathroom door, and quickly alerted the cleaning service personnel. They were nice enough to remove it from the room for me. The bathroom was cramped, there was no refrigerator, no microwave, and the beds squeaked like mad whenever we moved a muscle. There were shoe-prints on the ceiling (a good 8 feet up). The shower, though clean, left much to be desired. The water saving showerhead was set at such a wide angle that I could stand directly in front of it and stay completely dry.

The sheets were clean and very comfortable/soft. We had plenty of pillows, towels and shower/bath supplies. The pool was relatively clean and heavily chlorinated, though there was no life-guard for this busy pool.

We stayed with family in a total of 3 rooms, all of which with similar complaints. They "fixed" our room door on day-1, though we still had to hold the handle up at an odd angle for it to unlock once our card was swiped. Very frustrating.

Overall, I would have to call this a terrible experience. Needless to say, my family and I will never be staying there again.

• Liked — The pool was nice.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank cbar86
Cleveland
Reviewed 17 May 2008

This motel was the filthiest place I have ever stayed in. When we arrived, we unpacked our luggage in room 225 and then went to dinner. When we came back, our door was jammed and we were unable to enter our room. The lady at the front desk obtained a skrewdriver and busted the door down and we were then moved to room 219. When we entered the room, there was an immediate mold smell, as we examined the beds, there were hairs all over the sheet and there were red stains on the beige blanket. In the bathroom, there was peeled wallpaper and the shower mat was brown. A drawer on the TV stand was broken and unavailible for use. Though very filthy, I was very impressed that when we left a note the following morning for the housekeeper, the WORST breakfast I have ever tried, and I did not eat any of the food in the hotel. Do not stay here even if you are desprate, pay a little more and stay at the Fairfield Inn or Embassy Suites!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and food
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank akievets
Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2008

I have stayed at this place many times. Last year the service was not very pleasing. however, this year the rooms were extremely clean. the staff was very friendly. I would recommend my friends to stay here anytime.

• Liked — pool is very nice, location, rooms
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
PA
Reviewed 20 April 2008

I don't know what happened to this place in the past year, but whatever it was, was not good. We stayed here a year ago for a weekend for our child to tour William & Mary. It was okay for a weekend.. not someplace I would want to stay for a week. However, this stay was HORRIBLE. The bathroom was filthy. It looked as though it hadn't been cleaned any time recently. There was no trash can in the bathroom. The coffee pot was cruddy. There weren't enough towels. There were various kinds of bugs. It appeared as though there had been a water leak on the floor above & the ceiling had been patched - but there was also mold growing. We stayed for two nights - but we didn't have any maid service. So, we had dirty towels & the ONE trash can we had was overflowing. I am only praying that the sheets had been changed. We also had problems with the door as other reviewers have. We will never stay here again. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Convenient to where we wanted to go.
  • Disliked — The filth.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank ellsbells930
Narrows, VA
Reviewed 31 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. I had two rooms booked. When I arrived, my key wouldn't open the door and every time I entered, it took 4 or 5 swipes to get in. The toilet seat was broken, the coffee maker took 3 hours to make coffee, the air conditioner above our room started leaking into our room causing the floor to get wet and mildew, I had to ask to get my sheets changed, the complimentary computer was not working, there was no washing powder in the dispenser to use in the washer, the side walks had mulch and debree on them for about 3 days of our stay, after which they mowed and had grass on the walkways, the ice bucket was cracked down the side in one of my rooms. When I complained, they just smiled and did nothing. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Dirty walkways and dirty rooms.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family