“Don't always believe what you hear!”
Review of Patrick Henry Inn

Patrick Henry Inn
Ranked #45 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed 19 March 2010

To be honest, I was query at first about staying at the Patrick Henry Inn because of the online reviews but I wanted to plan a romantic, yet affordable, getaway for Valentine's Day with my husband. As we checked in, the front desk staff greeted us with a warm welcome and encouraged us to join their Chocolate Tastings Friday evening and Valentine's Day celebration that will be held in the breakfast area on Saturday. They were exceptionally helpful in suggestions to shop, eat, and enjoy. I made reservations for a king size bed that had a microwave and fridge. When we entered the room, there wasn't anything wrong with room. It was clean, regardless of it being old. I have stayed at many upscale hotels as well as ones for the budget. It was not only a great bargain but the staff was awesome! The location was excellent. We walked to the Colonial area and shopped during the day. One of the employees at the hotel recommended the Cheese Shop for lunch. Mmmm. Absolute wonderful place to grab sandwiches!!! During the evening, there was a reception provided for guests that had a wine tasting, roses were handed out, and wonderful orderves at no charge. This was perfect! It is so hard to find customer service in today's world and I find it frustrating. I would return to the Patrick Henry because they have just what I need; excellent service, clean rooms, fresh baked muffins every morning!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 February 2010

"Yes, son. That's a very, very large cockroach." It was right outside the elevator which was right next to our room. But let's back up. I wanted to take my family on a late summer (2009) vacation on a tight budget. I decided to roll the dice with Priceline - and Patrick Henry is what we got. To be clear, there are two properties/buildings next to each other separated by a parking lot. One is apparently newer or newly refurbished. One is old. Guess which one we stayed in! I was told by a guest the new property is time shares and for high-end hotel guests. He told me the new building was nice. I didn't get over there myself. The old hotel (formerly a Best Western) was for low budget guests like me and my family. Honestly, it was one of the most run down hotels I've seen in a long time. My informant friend thought it would be renovated soon for timeshares - but none of the floors we visited (1-4) had been improved. We experienced most everything written in the negative reviews: bugs, worn carpets, lumpy beds, musty smells, scary elevators, cloudy pool, poor food quality on the continental breakfast, etc. But the main desk personel were cheerful and the location was close to the attractions. Oh, and after my son killed the roach, one of the maids apparently removed the evidence.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Nevadaguy
Reviewed 3 November 2009

My two adult daughters and I travelled to Williamsburg, from Canada, to celebrate the 4th of July and to spend several days at Busch Gardens. The Patrick Henry was our first choice but we were discouraged from booking there because of bad reviews. So we booked into a different hotel but, after reading "worse" reviews about it, we decided to take our chances and changed our reservations to the Patrick Henry. We thought that the location was going to be perfect for walking into the town to shop and to view the fireworks. We were so glad we stayed at the Patrick Henry!!! Our room was very comfortable and the furnishings were very nice. The pool was HUGE with a deep end and plenty of chairs on the deck. The front desk staff was courteous and most helpful when givng us advice on where to go and places to eat. After a 6 night stay, when we checked out, I was VERY surprised to find out that our stay was $200.00 less than I expected! On the down side . . . the breakfast was not the greatest (not enough choices of items for more that a two day stay) and the hotel is not as well kept as more expensive options. It is older and it does need some repairs. Maybe not as clean in the hallways?? But who sleeps in the hallways?? One of the many reviews that changed our minds was a lady who said, and I quote, "If you are looking for the amenties of the Hilton then stay THERE. If you are looking for a hotel that is very close to attractions and convenient to major roads and downtown Williamsburg, this is your place." You do get what you pay for. Is it luxurious? No. Would we return again? Without hesitation!!!!! :)

• Stayed: July 2009
2  Thank CraftyMom58
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This is one of the few hotel reviews I wrote in my entire life. I travel approximately 5 times a year both domestic and international. RUN don't walk from this hotel. It's the worst of the worst I've ever stayed in.

I found a huge stain on my blanket which stated that the blanket was never changed. The stain was yellowish and had harden. One could only guess what I could have been.

I reserved a King size bed room but got 2 twins.

I originally choose this place because of it's proximity to the Williamsburg Colonial. However, when I got there, I don't really need to be that close. We drove and parked at the free parking within Williamsburg and took free bus rides that came with the Liberty Pass ticket. If you plan to go there, you probably need to pay for the ticket for the exhibits. The free ride comes with that.

We missed the breakfast because it was only from 7-9am. I heard there wasn't much to eat any way.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here. The price wasn't right for the hotel. Those photo they have isn't real. Our room didn't look like that.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bkk2nite
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Made reservations 3 weeks in advance for a king size bed and refrigerator. We were put in a room with 2 double beds and no refrigerator. Finally got a refrigerator 7 hours after check in after 3 requests. When we questioned about the 2 double beds we were told that was all they had as no rooms with king size beds available and we were there early enough as they had said we would get the first available room as per our reservations. Coffee pot not cleaned and had to request toilet tissue that was not left by the maid service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fwwjr48
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We stayed at the Patrick Henry Inn and Suites from 8/17 - 8/22/09. We had a 1 bedroom suite which had a bedroom with an attached bathroom, a study with TV and pullout couch, a living room with a pullout coach, kitchen and second bathroom. The staff was very pleasant and the room was great. Everyone had their own space and television. The outdoor pool was good (just a bit over chlorinated) and the continental breakfast was adequate though not as good as some other places. It was in a great location with easy access to Busch Gardens and Wter Country as well as being across the street from Colonial Williamsburg. Myself, my wife and 2 kids enjoyed our stay immensely, especially after being concerned regarding the reviews we read after we booked it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jayb719
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Never have I been so disappointed in a hotel. Somehow the Patrick Henry was given a 3 star rating on a travel site yet the whole place is literally falling apart. I should have known it was a bad sign when they insisted I had booked only one room instead of two. I had to have a Hotwire representative call the hotel and tell them otherwise.

Once I was finally checked in, I was given clunky electronic keys that carry a $250 charge if lost. I got into my room to find it hadn't been vacuumed, there was food under the heater and hair all over the bathroom. The beds are completely useless as the matress must be decades old. Safe to say I slept in my clothes on top of the covers that night. The shower head was literally not there and just sprays a jet of water. When I called for a replacement, I was told there were none available.

On top of it all, the whole building is right next to a very active train track that goes by in all hours of the night. Once I was finally able to fall asleep I was awoken at 7am by the housekeepers yelling at each other down the hallway. And this is a time-share? I pity anyone who bought into this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends