“a VERY pleasant surprise!”
Review of Bassett Motel

Bassett Motel
Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Amherst, Virginia
“a VERY pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I have stayed at the Bassett several times and each time I have been treated so kindly by the staff...first of all let me tell you a little about the motel...when you first drive up, it appears to be an older motel and you might not be impressed at first sight...but hold on a minute...CHECK OUT THE ROOMS...wow!! Spacious and clean as can be! Good TV and excellent WI-FI, and a price than CANNOT be beat..really, give it a try..you will be surprised!! I even got a phone call from the motel the evening after I checked out asking me if I was pleased with the three rooms I rented...who does that? I must say that I am impressed and WILL continue to stay at the Bassett whenever I am going to Busch Gardens!

Room Tip: I have stayed at the rooms around back...nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank drdave57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Williamsburg and Jamestown it was okay for what we paid, but could do with been refurbished as is quite old . In last review owners replied by saying you were showing your room before you checked in , well we were not !!!! were just giving the key, next time we will ask to see the room

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BG
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I've gotten great recommendations from trip advisor and thought this experience would be just as lovely as my past experiences. Boy, was I wrong. The room we got had bugs in the perimeter of the walls, our bath towels had hair in it (probably re used and unwashed), half way through my boyfriends shower their was no hot water, on top of that, the trains were going all night. Not a pleasant experience. Would not recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank mrscuriousity
Mike4ever, Owner at Bassett Motel, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
The above customer has problem(internal)with his partner since they check in. We always show the room before check in and make sure everything is alright. When customer live the entry door open, definitely flying insects comes in the room and dies near window. We encourage all customer to live the door close. We have plenty of hot water, we never have compliant before.( I have checked) We ordered fresh linen supplies from Virginia linen Co(one of the best co. in Virginia) never have complaint with this supplier and we also replace the towels and linens every time when customer checked out! And about the train, we don't have control over it! My property is not on road, but all rooms are behind the office building and not that much noise like other businesses has! My property is old but well maintained you can see with all other reviews! .
Burlington, KY
Reviewed 31 July 2011

If you like a vintage experience this is one for you. The hotel is close to Colonial Williamsburg and extremely quiet and roomy. The fact that the bathroom fixtures and some of the furniture has been there since the 60s adds to its charm. Each room has a small fridge and microwave and there is about 5 feet of room between the ends of the beds and the furniture. Many of the rooms are rented to Asian students from College of William and Mary who only ride bikes and were never loud. There is no ice machine or hair dryer, but these are available at the front desk where a friendly owner greets you. We had a problem with a tub drain that was taken care of while we were out. The rooms are very clean, but the towels are a little rough. Bring your own toiletries as only soap is given. We also bought mugs to heat water in as there is no coffee pot. (Coffee is available at the desk.) There is no pool or workout room, but we were given a Williamsburg magazine with lots of coupons which gave us 10% off every dinner we had. I thought the room was a little musty so I used a room scent. We rented 3 rooms for 5 nights and were very pleased with our stay and at savings over other hotels.
One other Colonial Williamsburg tip-buy the souvenir mug for $10 because drinks are $2.50 and you can fill the cup with slushi, coffee, ice cream or cider as well as soda.

Room Tip: I called them direct.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank cheaptravel_10
Salem, Virginia
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My husband and I looked at 7 other hotels before we came upon this one, they were all either dirty, run down or had very rude people working there. The owner of Bassett Motel was very nice, he gave us a great deal on staying 2 nights. The room was clean, sheets and bedspreads looked fairly new. We were very happy with our stay and we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gheather
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2010

bassett motel rooms are very nice and cleanded, great location,best price, the staff at the bassett motel is very helpful , and motel manger she is very friendly and helpful, very good motel,

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed 1 February 2010

This is a cheap motel. There's no doubt about that. The rooms are cheap and leave much to be desired. However, for a couple nights it's not terrible. The staff is alright. They give you two coupons for restaurants nearby, which was nice of them. The hotel is located pretty close to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg.

My boyfriend and I spent our second day walking through Colonial Williamsburg. The motel is located within walking distance. Not only that, but you pass by a lot of lovely scenery, historic buildings, farms, and Williamsburg sites on the way. It was very enjoyable! So as far as location goes, it's a great spot.

Bassett Motel leaves a lot to be desired. But if you only stay a night or two it's worth saving the money.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple