“Agree with Marianne T”

Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 22 Williamsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wonderful location and very charming but, its expensive for what it is.
The dixie cups in the bathroom, the very weak towels, the past their prime and werent very nice to start with sheets. Parking was also a problem as they were full.

Still, breakfast was nice, and Bob is a wonderful host.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Bob-Tubbs, Owner at Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thanks SKB217 for your review.

We appreciate your comments. Not sure what else we could do besides dixie cups that would work in bathrooms used by different people daily (after being thoroughly cleaned of course!) ;-) We are on a constant look out for worn or stained towels and sheets. I'm not sure I know what you mean by weak towels. We've spent over $500 this year alone in sheets sets and bedding. Dee Dee, our housekeeper, is very good at finding wore items in our rooms but we occasionally do miss an item or two.

We do have plenty of parking for a full house except for those rare times when someone arriving late accidentally parks in several locations. I am looking into putting little signs up but need to get approval from the town.

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the breakfast experience and I do so much enjoy the hosting.

We hope you will consider the Cedars for a future stay. In the meantime, have a wonderful fall and holiday season.

All the best.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

In historic Williamsburg, Virginia, a location unrivaled by other cities, I was able to do more than imagine an escape to the oldest and most recognized location in Virginia; I experienced Southern Hospitality beyond its finest. The Cedars of Williamsburg is ideally located conveniently within a short walk of Colonial Williamsburg and directly across the street of The College of William and Mary.
The Cedars’ architecture is picturesque and its history captivating.
The Innkeepers and Staff were incomparable gracious hosts; easy to converse with and suggestions on all levels of the area (eating, shopping, historical landmarks).
Expect a gourmet breakfast each morning in the breakfast room; great way to start a very busy and full day in Williamsburg. With a bit of whimsical Innkeeper Bob is available to take a “breakfast picture” for your scrapbook of memories. I didn’t want my picture taken the first day, but by the end of my stay I was eager to have a reminiscence to “bring home”. Not only was a picture provided, but ended up on a pamphlet of The Cedars to show “those back home”.
I made myself at home in my lovely “room for the weekend” with a private bath; delighted with the atmosphere of the nicely decorated room and exceptionally clean accommodations. I was immersed in a charismatic stress-free experience and a sensation of contentment in “just being here”. The housekeeper, DeeDee was extremely attentive to my requests and I feel went out of her way beyond than her job description.
If you are seeking exemplary hospitality and a premier location, The Cedars of Williamsburg is a legacy that I have discovered is a MUST to return to again and again. I am already making plans to return to The Cedars in the autumn. Stay once at The Cedars and you will discover why you must return again.

Room Tip: If stairs are an issue; there are three rooms in the main house and a cottage on the property that h...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lynne6021

Hi Lynne6021,

Thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is heart-warming to hear that our efforts result in memorable experiences for our guests!

We obviously enjoy our work and it is a joy to go to work everyday to meet such interesting and diverse people from around the world. We get to more more about the world right in our breakfast room than if we were to travel! Great way to learn about the world.

We are very fortunate to have the staff we do. Dee Dee is a gem and works hard to keep us out of trouble.

We are looking forward to your fall visit. Look out, we may have to make a video of your stay! ;-)

Until the next visit, all the best.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 August 2013

The location is great and the house is very quaint and well maintained. With a bit more attention to detail this BB could be outstanding. I was expecting a bit more upscale, but what we got was mediocre in many ways. Our bed was comfortable but was a bit surprised by the sheets with an old blanket on it. I would have expected a duvet: even Hampton Inn uses duvet covers! The towels were nothing spectacular and they had dixie cups in the bathroom. We had rose petals on our bed in the shape of a heart, not sure why, and they were fake. I was surprised that there was not a tv but there was internet access. The breakfast is served buffet style on the porch. The coffee was lacking flavor and there was no flavoring except milk.....had to go to Starbucks! Our first morning we ate towards the end of breakfast time and there were not enough eggs left and no one offered to bring in more. I was disappointed in the "bread" basket when I saw bagel thins and english muffins. There was delicious oatmeal and a french toast that was very good. The napkins were well washed and had lost their color, just another sign of mediocrity. I was also a bit offended that there was a tip envelope left for us for the cleaning lady. I would have expected a bit more class in many areas for a BB that was in the $200 range. Bob tried very hard to be a gracious host and he was very knowledgable of the area and tried hard to help out, but he liked to take photos of all the guests in a birthday hat, whether your birthday was today, two weeks or 6 months ago...and you had to sing....to everyone. It became a very annoying over the weekend while it overtook our conversation with my spouse and friends that we were visiting! I think he was trying to find a way to be engaging with guests without realizing how annoying it was. Again, the location is great, the place is clean and you get a half decent breakfast but if your looking for upscale, look somewhere else. For the price this place needs a facelift!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Marianne T
Bob-Tubbs, Owner at Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. I must say I am disappointed and slightly surprised by your comments. As you know, your friends made all the arrangements, including a bottle of wine for you. If flowers had been ordered, the rose petals would have been real but we though to make the experience a little more romantic, we'd use what we had; obviously a mistake.

Every B&B operates differently. Perhaps many would meet your expectations but unfortunately we missed the mark. This happens from time to time but we do the best we can. It has been my experience that if something is amiss, the best way to correct it is to bring it to the person's attention. You had plenty of opportunity to do so and you opted not.

The mediocrity is a result of people working hard every day to do the best they can. Our staff works very hard to satisfy our guests...and more often than not we succeed.

The hospitality industry and the folks in it work very hard. Our housekeeper, Dee Dee, is no exception. She has been with us over 8 years. The industry depends upon tips for their livelihood just like restaurants and other service organizations. The envelope in the room is for guests to show appreciate for her attention to detail. She often washes clothes, moves luggage, arranges the room, etc. I'm not sure what you were expecting but it appears we did not meet them. How can an envelope in the room be annoying?

Our enthusiasm in the breakfast room is to try to bring people out and also to inform them of all the day to day activities the region offers. The birthday thing and the photos are ways we have to do so. If you don't want the photos, again, just say so.

In closing, your friends chose the Cedars. It obviously was not the place for you. We tried with all the extra effort, storing your bicycles, fake rose petals, the video of your friend's birthday surprise, all of the group photos and much more to make your experience memorable...sorry we missed the mark. In looking at all of the other reviews we've gotten from guests, it is exactly what you cite as detractors that many of our guests enjoy! We are sorry you did not enjoy it. While we appreciate your feedback, there is not anything we do differently.

We wish you all the best.

Bob Tubbs
Owner, Cedars of Williamsburg Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My daughter and I had the absolutely BEST stay ever, at The Cedars !! Starting with the warm welcome from Michael , and help with our heavy luggage, it progressed to delightful breakfasts, where we loved meeting other guests, and engaging in fun stories from Bob, the owner.....a fabulous day in Colonial Williamsburg followed, and at the end of our day, it was so comforting to be welcomed back to the inn, with candles glowing in the windows, and fresh-baked cookies awaiting us in the sunroom....As we were departing, we had the great fortune to meet the best housekeeper on earth, Dee Dee, who takes great pride in keeping the rooms of the inn SPOTLESS ! She is someone you must try to meet, during your stay. It is easy to see why this B and B is the best in Williamsburg. Try it for yourself and you will surely agree!!

Room Tip: Christopher Wren up on the third floor is quiet and spacious....
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Cedars_BB, Owner at Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Hey There Galinfla,

We very much appreciate the exceptional review. You two are a hoot. We had a great time during your entire visit. I'm pretty sure the bell-ringing position has been filled...;-)

You MUST come back for the holidays. It would be great for all of us to have a return visit of the mother-daughter team! The video has gone viral!

All the best and look forward to a future visit very soon.

All the best.

Grace & Bob Tubbs and Staff
Cedars B&B

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed a delightful 2 night stay. The owner Bob, went out of his way to accomodate our every need. He made you feel like family. We have a gluten allergy and he made sure we had a yummy gluten free breakfast. He knows a lot about the area so was able to suggest different places to visit. The garden around the house is well done and beautiful.You can walk right to colonial Williamsburg and William and Mary College. The only downside is there is no TV in the room which was fine with us( we could use our ipad if we wanted )and our bathroom was a little tight which may not work for a large man but fine for us. I think some of the rooms have a bigger bath so be sure to ask. The Cedars is drop dead clean. Not a speck of dust anywhere! Suggest you hit "Food for Thought" for food if you are gluten free or if you just want really good food all day. Food for Thought is filled with inspiring quotes that really make you think. The gluten free menu is awesome. They even give you a fresh roll! Thanks Bob you are a charmer and your B and B is charming to boot!

Room Tip: ask about the size of the bathroom. Our room was on the front of the house and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Hi Alison,

Thanks for the wonderful review. It is very much appreciated.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality. You and your daughter are a wonderful team and we hope that W&M is her final choice.

We've asked our guests regularly about TVs but more and more, a majority say they like not having one in the room. Often they bring their Ipads or just read a book in the gazebo.

Food for Thought is one of our favorites as well. Very unique menu and atmosphere. We highly recommend it to everyone who visits Williamsburg.

We look forward to many future stays if W&M is her choice of schools.

Have a wonderful summer.

Cedars B&B

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This was our first experience with a B&B. Other future stays with others have a high bar to measure up to. The food was great every single day. The rooms were very comfortable. Ours was the smallest but still comfortable. There had been a miscommunication by the reservation office. Not with Cedars. We needed more space for a third person. The Cedars made this work out in a most kind manner. I can't say thank you to them enough. If we ever return to Williamsburg we will definitely stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Cedars_BB, Owner at Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time to write this very complimentary review. We thoroughly enjoyed hosting your family's visit to Williamsburg. I think your grand-daughter enjoyed having the Plantation room. It also made everyone much more comfortable.

I hope you get a chance to visit us. We very much enjoyed your wonderful family. We appreciate your business.

Please give our best wishes to everyone.

Grace & Bob Tubbs
and the Staff of the Cedars B&B

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful 3-night stay at The Cedars. Bob was a great host with a fun sense of humor. The breakfasts each day were different and very tasty, usually an egg creation, meat, and a wonderful fruit crisp. The rooms were immaculately maintained and very charming. The location is walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg and across the street from the historic college campus. The Williamsburg Winery is also only a couple miles down the road. There is even a garden and gazebo behind the hotel as another option to chill out. I highly recommend the Cedars to relax, shop, or do some serious sightseeing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allan S
Cedars_BB, Owner at Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi Allan,

Thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful review. We very much appreciate it.

We did have fun during your visit. The Winery had record sales that day I understand! Did you have anything to do with that success?

We hope you get the chance to visit sometime in the near future. A second visit automatically enrolls you in what I call the "Sleep Around Program." It's not what you think, if you stay in every room, we name a room after you!

Have a wonderful summer.

All the best from the crew at the Cedars.