Ans Inn & Suites
US$144
US$122
Hampton.com
Great 4.5/5
Sleep Inn & Suites(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$59
Very Good 4/5
La Quinta Inn & Suites Winchester(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$112
La Quinta
US$109
HIExpress.com
Great 4.5/5
Clarion Inn & Conference Center(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$80
ComfortInn
US$125
US$114
Great 4.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2012

GOOD: Pets allowed, so 3 dogs in tow; Mini-fridge & microwave in room. BAD:Unsafe (life safety/ maintenance issues i.e. exposed wiring, plus seedy criminal activity.); Room dirty & smelly. UGLY: Rude desk staff (slow, unfriendly, unhelpful and indifferent at best, seemingly complicit in shady stuff at worst.)

We stayed on a slow Monday night so property was mostly vacant, with all the cars in the guest lot clustered in one specific corner of the complex. Even though we had a prior reservation which was already pre-paid, for some reason the desk clerk put us in a room right next to a "lady of the evening" (and naturally the LOUDEST one imaginable: the walls were so thin that not even the TV blaring WWII documentary footage at full volume could drown out the activity.)

We stuck it out as long as we could, trying not to hear as a half-dozen customers were "entertained" in succession over the span of two hours! Each appointment was loudly followed by the entertainment's obligatory chain-smoke-and-chat session RIGHT outside our door. Not sure why she bothered to go outdoors, since the room reeked of smoke (it even had ashtrays, though the rooms were designated non-smoking and had signs saying such.)

Being a fairly frequent traveller (and a former Hotel employee) who shops around/ brand-hops for deals, I'm familiar with the "get what you pay for" philosophy. Accordingly, I was harboring no illusions about the dirt-cheap rate (pre-paid on Hotwire), just wanted a night's rest in a no-frills,safe environment. Strike out on all counts, as we both agreed we just couldn't stand to stay the entire night. I remembered that we had requested a late checkout and the clerk begrudgingly agreed to a one-hour extension (even though at first he refused to comply at all (despite the fact that this is an advertised perk of the brand's "Value Club", which we had just joined via Android from the motel parking lot.) I stopped at the front desk just to give him a heads-up that we were checking out early in case Housekeeping needed to know for the following morning, giving him a very brief but polite summary of why we were leaving.
He offered no alternate room assignments nor even an apology for the disgraceful situation. Fine, we wouldn't have stayed anyway. But what took the cake was that when I asked him for my copy of the receipt he REFUSED...even though it was a pre-paid reservationj purchased on Hotwire! I could see NO reason why he would refuse such a routine request (especially considering how calm I was acting despite this ridiculous situation: I wasted money on a room I couldn't use, now in the middle of the night I was about to get on the highway again instead of catching some zzz's! Now, I was understandably miffed, and so I impertinently asked him if it would help to call the local police out to mediate the business/ customer dispute: he called my bluff and said to go ahead.
So I did call, not so much to report a crime as much as to encourage the clerk to cooperate. I drove across the street to wait at a gas station since I didn't feel like hanging around there any longer than necessary. After about 20 minutes, two Winchester police officers pulled up and I briefly explained what had transpired. Imagine my surprise when they merely shrugged and dismissed the entire shady scenario (hotel, lady of the night & all) by saying "yep, sounds like pretty much par for the course here." !?! Wow, guess Winchester's not the sleepy little burg I once thought it was...so much for our relaxing 1-night getaway from DC! My advice...spring for the extra $10 and stay somewhere minimally decent, which this was NOT in any sense of the word!

Room Tip: Stay at the other America's best NORTH! Went there 1st by mistake (it's where we spent some time enrolling in their Value Club program.) Has a much quieter environment than South location ( n0 questionable activity, seemed mostly occupied with families and couples.)Clerk there was very nice and offered us a room but we unforunately had pre-paid for the South location (now we understand the pitying look he gave us as he sent us on our way to the correct location!)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eilsel22
tanisha1, Manager at Ans Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear Eisel22,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am very concerned about the issues you encountered during your stay. We do have 2 locations in Winchester. So that we may further investigate your complaint, can you please contact us directly in order to verify which location you are referring to ?

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South, VA

Reviewed 9 March 2012

We were exhausted from a long day of driving and decided to stop in Winchester. The Holiday Inn Express right off the exit seemed too pricey so we traveled a few minutes down the road to America's Best Value Inn. We had to book our room through a window from the outside despite the 30-degree weather. It was only 7 p.m. so this was completely ridiculous but we got a room anyway. The parking was adequate and thank goodness we were able to park directly in front of our room because I had an awful feeling about the overnight security (or lack thereof) with everything I owned in the car. The room was absolutely freezing so we had to turn on the air conditioner to heat up the room. It took a long time to heat up but in the middle of the night, I had to get up to turn it down a few times, so that was better than getting hypothermia. When I turned down the sheets to get into the bed, they looked and smelled awful. The 25-year-old blanket between the sheet and comforter was so ratty with cigarette burn holes that I gagged. I pushed it down so that I was only using the sheet and comforter. I slept in sweatpants and a sweatshirt simply so I would have as little skin-to-linen contact as possible. We had been using our pillows as a makeshift dog bed for my service dog during the roadtrip, and even though he had been laying on my pillow for the past 15 hours, I decided it was more hygienic than putting my face on the disgusting pillows provided. When we got up in the morning, the toilet clogged after every use and the light in the bathroom was so far from the shower than I showered in near darkness. Despite the shower, I felt dirty and disgusting and we left around 5 a.m. simply to get out of there. For what we paid, it would've been worth a few extra dollars to stay somewhere else. Do NOT stay here unless you are used to and OK with unsanitary conditions.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kpackard

Dear kpackard,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. I am very concerned about the issues you had mentioned in your review. We do have 2 locations in Winchester. In order for us to investigate the matter, could you please contact me directly to verify which location you are referring?

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South ,VA

Reviewed 29 August 2011

Used advertised coupon, checked in by seemingly indifferent, buzz-cut appearance male clerk. Was informed by this clerk, and a hotel maid, that selected room was amongst "cleanest on the property." Though room had signage and appeared "non-smoking," it reeked of strong pet-odor inside, with the main white linen inside bed cover having holed, tobacco-burnt marks. Shower, toilet was ok, sink had no cold water--only hot ran. Cable TV channel acceptable but big screen was bent. Two other, non-couponed properties a few blocks south down U.S. 11 (advertising lower prices yet didnt get property names) might be worth checking out before choosing this one. Overall, disappointed with experience and way property advertised itself as "a great value" in publications marketed to travelers using coupons.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Stevewonder1

Dear Stevewonder1,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I deeply apologize for any negative experience you encountered while staying with us. We have recently updated our linens and will soon be upgrading our bedding as well. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall guest experience. We hope that you stay with us again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Americas Best Value Inn-Winchester South, VA

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have stayed in ABVI's before and been pleased with them, but not this time. As several other reviewers have noted, the internet service is sadly in need of an update. We were not able to access the internet at all. The night desk management spoke very broken English, and only responded with "I am not a computer expert". The day management was better, and tried resetting the router, but to no avail.

Other: the rooms smelled musty/dusty, there were cobwebs in the window sill, the A/C was not running when we entered the room and it was pretty hot and damp feeling; this was even though we had a reservation and they were prepared with our keys when we arrived. The bathroom was actually the cleanest part of the room, the floor had new tile and the tub area looked clean.

The breakfast consisted of two kinds of cereal (both sugary), white bread, watery orange juice or fruit punch, a communal jar of jelly, a jug of milk, and a microwave and toaster to prepare it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paralea
Reviewed 31 October 2010

internet is nonexistent needs completely updated i shouldn't have to leave my room to go to a wifi spot to use the internet, wireless routers have got to be 10 years old or more, and the tv sucks it would skip every 10 minutes for no reason

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business