“Ask to see the room first !”

Hampton Inn Winchester-University/Mall Area
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Before you hand over your credit card, ask to see the room you'll be assigned. We checked in late after driving for 12 hours and as I stay in Hampton's at least 40 nights a year on business, I never, ever thought a Hampton would offer rooms like the one we had that night in Winchester. Our first clue was that the room was located at the end of a dead end hall next to the maintenance and houskeeping/laundry rooms. In fact it appears that this room was actually carved out from those offices. The room was what you'd find in a Motel 6 or Microtel and was about in the same condition. I've stayed in those hotels before and you know what they are and what to expect but your only paying $39-$59 a night too. I can assure you, you'll be paying far more at any Hampton and as such should be getting more for your dollar.
As it was just for the one night, we could live with the small accomondation but as anyone knows that stays at Hamton (or any of the parent Hilton Properties), the big claim to fame is their famous comfortable beds. Not in this room. It was a thinly sprung mattress that one would find in an RV and it was BAD. So bad in fact that even though we checked in at 10:00 p.m. we were out of there and back on the road by 4:30 (with back aches) as neither of us slept hardly a wink. Very, Very disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Carl144

Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stopped at this Hampton Inn conveniently located off route 81 last night. The young gentleman at the Reception Desk was very welcoming, polite and professional. He gave us a list of restaurants in the area and recommended one to our liking. Our room was very clean and comfortable. It was the usual good Hampton Inn free breakfast. The two women at the Reception desk this morning were also very friendly and asked if everything was to our liking, which it was. I would definitely stay at this Hampton Inn again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This property proves, once again, that Hampton Inn knows how to get it right. :-) If you need a really comfy, home-away-from-home with a convenient location near major highways and LOTS of restaurants and major stores nearby, this hotel is for you. I enjoyed a quiet night's sleep in a super comfy bed (a consistent quality I appreciate from Hampton Inns) at this hotel in Jan 2012 when visiting Winchester for business. The front desk clerk was wonderfully welcoming and the morning breakfast crew made sure we guests had a nice spread of breakfast goodies to enjoy before setting out to tackle our days. I appreciate the free wi-fi, free parking, free breakfast, and REALLY fantastic rates they have at this hotel. It is clean, comfy, and serves its purpose well for my needs as a business traveler who needs a nice home-like quality when on the road. Keep up the great work! (See my pictures attached)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I visit this Hampton Inn at least once or twice a month for business and wouldn't stay anywhere else. I will drive out of my way, because I know it is very clean, courteous, accomodating (once the manager even helped me with my rental car)
Not to mention you will LOVE the new "door locks" installed, it couldn't be easier! Great job!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
THEBuckeyeFan, General Manager at Hampton Inn Winchester-University/Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Hello! Thank you for the wonderful comments about the Hampton Inn! It means alot that you take time out of your busy schedule to share the experience you encountered here. We look forward to you coming back soon! Eliza Miramontes, General Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2012

This hotel was the best. very clean, wonderful breakfast, and excellent staff. The room was terrific, very well equipped. I will return for sure.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 January 2012

We stopped here on a trip returning home. I had added a request for a quiet room on my online booking. It had not been noticed but the reception clerk saw it and took care of it. The room was clean and quiet. The room included a microwave and fridge. The room also had 2 extra mirrors, in addition to those in the bathroom. The wifi was fast. The free breakfast was one of the best ever... low fat granola, hard boiled eggs, grapefruit, oatmeal with extras available, low fat yogurt and skim milk. Close to a mall and area restaurants. Found a good Mexican restaurant nearby. Definitely return here.

Room Tip: I always request a room away from elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stay at Hampton Inn hotels all the time. The problem was that the beds were very uncomfortable. Also, if you are a light sleeper, beware. The walls are quite thin and we could hear slamming doors all night long. The breakfast didn't have as much to offer as other Hampton Inns. The location is on a busy intersection but there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Could be cleaner but not the worst I've seen.

Room Tip: I would order a room at the very end of the hallway to try and avoid the loud slamming doors.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family