“So So”

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Ottawa, Canada
“So So”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

It was an ok place. The breakfast was not that good. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I would not spend more than a night or two there. Was very clean. Didn't use the pool. Didn't appreciate someone knocking on the door in the middle of the night, 3 am, somebody trying to find someone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Judy T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We love hearing from our guests. I'm very sorry that someone knocked on your door middle of the night to find someone. I hope you didn't rate our location with some other one, since we don't have a pool at our facility. Thanks for your feedback again and hope to see you in future travel.
Judy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
McComb, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We drove here to start our vacation driving Skyline Drive, then the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you want all the bells and whistles then stay somewhere else. We had a clean room, comfy bed, and low noise level. We were greeted by a man who was friendly, and checked us in very quickly. We made Cracker Barrel in time to eat, after arriving after 9:15 PM. Our need were met, no unwanted co-guest (bugs). Yes this place was worth what we paid, and we got what we expected, and more. If you can't find enough for breakfast here then take the money you saved, and go eat at one of the many places near by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side of the hotel if wanting low noise, so you don't have highway noi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MikeHr2d2
Dear MikeHr2d2,

Thank you so much for writing a review regarding your recent stay with us! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean room, and that our friendly staff helped to make your stay comfortable. Feedback like yours always give us extra motivation to do a better job. We truly appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience with others. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Need I say more? I'm spending the week with lines of three bites. Only one day and I've been itching like crazy. Nothing creeps me out more than having blood sucked from my skin in the middle of the night. I stayed over the weekend of Memorial day, 2014. Stay away.
The hotel was in a good location off the highway, there was plenty of fast food locally (if you are looking for quality food then you are out of luck). Virginia was a beautiful getaway that weekend, this hotel needs bug spray. I didn't pay much for the room and I know why that is. The free breakfast is coffee, cereal, and donuts. Even the attendant at the front desk laughed when I asked about what the breakfast had to offer. She told me that it was better off to go somewhere else. Yay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank K Victor M
Judy T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I am sorry to hear, and also I'm very surprised to hear that you had bitten by bed bugs. If you would have mentioned something at check out or during your stay, we would have inspected your room and moved you to a different room, as well as offer you a full refund for your stay. I'm very sorry for it. After looking at your stay details, we have inspected the room and we found no traces of bed bugs. I want to make you aware that we have still treated the room for any other kind of infestation that might be present just in case, even though the inspection was clear. We do try to stay vigilant regarding issues such as these, as it is our business to make our guests comfortable, and want to come back again. Our Complementary Continental Breakfast does include coffee and cereal, along with fresh fruit, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, toast, and waffles, and other breakfast beverages - I apologize if the GSR on duty had misinformed you.
Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We hope you can take into consideration that we are making an effort to continuously raise our standards, and that you can give us another chance to make a positive impression with you.
Judy T.

Travellers are raving about these Winchester hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Spent 3 nights here. Staff friendly and responsive. Room was clean enough, bed good, but pillows too hard and inflexible. Breakfast selection not the greatest. Need a waffle maker, not toaster heat up kind. Some boiled eggs and little pastries with fruit centers would be a great addition instead of all the bagel choices.

Room Tip: Bright morning sunshine on the east side! Right next to the interstate, but quiet in rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Patricia H,

Thank you for your feedback about our hotel! It's always nice to hear from our guests. I am glad that our friendly staff was able to help make your stay comfortable. We will definitely your suggestions for breakfast into consideration - boiled eggs and fresh waffles would be a great addition to our breakfast selection.
We always appreciate our guests sharing their experience with others. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at this location last year, and to be honest, I was forgotten how bad it was before (my stay here a year ago was pretty disgusting... I walked around in white sock to find them completely black with filth within minutes!) Needless to say, my heart sank a little when we pulled up and I realized that this was the same place. I needed a room for me and my dogs though, so I decided to give it another try.

I will say that it was cleaner than before, but it still had some issues.

Quality

The carpet that crept up the walls had clearly come loose (like they had glued it and it didn't stick). The bedspread had many popped threads on it so much so that my pups actually got caught in them several times which was annoying. It's a Red Roof Inn, so I'm not expecting a lot in the way of quality, so these aren't necessarily "dealbreakers" for me.

The bed was okay, but the pillows were pretty terrible... two doubled up worked okay for me (and since there were only 3 pillows on the king sized bed, my husband got the short end of the deal on that one)

Cleanliness:
Improved from my last stay as I mentioned before, but there were some suspicious stains on the chair in the room and mildew all over the bottom of the shower curtain. The bed looked clean though and I didn't see any bugs or anything like that (even on a hot day), so I was satisfied I suppose.

Service:
I was surprised to hear that there was a breakfast included, but it is a good thing I didn't get my hopes up. There were some weird looking bagels and some sliced bread with coffee, but that's about it aside from some cereal and a juice machine. Considering that I had never seen a Red Roof with a breakfast option before this wasn't something I was exactly banking on anyhow, so it didn't bother me. The in-room coffee was undrinkable, but I did grab a cup from the "breakfast area" which was decent so that was good enough for me.

The one big shining star in all of this? The front desk staff! It was actually a bit bizarre how different the caliber of staff was vs. the actual room/hotel in general is. The front staff was warm, welcoming, but also very quick and efficient. A few minutes after I was in my room I even got a phone call from them asking if everything was okay and if I needed any extra towels or anything. Truly exceptional staff which was a sharp contrast to the "ehhh..." hotel around them.

Overall, I will consider staying here again (especially since there are slim-pickings in the area for hotels that allow dogs). If that changes though? I'm not so sure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Judy T, Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Thanks for your comments about our location and hope you come back. We have made some improvements to the rooms. Thanks for your business.

Powder Springs, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having never stayed at a Red Roof Inn, I thought, "What the heck. I'll give it a try." Big mistake. The room was clean, but the wall in the bathroom was peeling plaster. The walls separating the rooms were thin enough to hear every movement. I mean every movement and there were plenty. The flat screen TV was not in focus which, after ten hours driving, was not pleasant. Then there was the bathroom. The towels were thin and scratchy. The drain in the tub did not work even though I was showering. When I left the tub the water was above my ankles. I am sure that not all Red Roof Inns are as sub-par as this, however, I shall never know because I will never stay at another.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Harold M
Judy T, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Winchester, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Please accept my sincere apology for all the issues you had during your stay at our location. I have noted down everything you mentioned, and we will try to improve in every department as much as we can to make sure our guests leave with smiling face and with positive impact in their mind. I hope you give us another chance in the future to serve you in much better way.

Jackson, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here recently while I was in the area. I stayed in one of the Superior King rooms with a desk, microwave & mini-fridge. The room was clean & comfortable. There was plenty of grassy areas around the hotel to walk the dogs. The staff was very pleasant and made me and my pets feel welcome.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Superior King rooms with a desk, microwave & mini-fridge. We try our level best to accommodate our guests clean & comfortable environment. We appreciate your business and hope you come back and stay with us.