“Cold and Stranded”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Winchester
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I promised my wife I would wait a couple weeks to "cool off" before contacting or reviewing this hotel. There are words that can describe my feelings, but they are not appropriate for Tripadvisor. We have stayed at this hotel before and love that they don't charge for pets. This last trip home for Christmas (~10 hour drive for us) we decided to stop here yet again. I booked a room on their website, but the page was acting up and did not give me a confirmation. We were very close when we booked the room so we figured we would just sort it out when we got there. I go in and the woman at the front desk was frantic. I told her that I had booked a room, but had trouble with the website. She proceeded to tell me that , "They need to stop accepting web reservations!" I told her my name and she said that without proof of my reservation they couldn't give me a room. She proceeded to tell me that they "DID have rooms" but that "The rooms were dirty and there was no one there to clean them." She said that, "We don't even have enough clean rooms for guests that have confirmed rooms." The bartender was leaving and she was the only employee left. Meanwhile, my pregnant wife and my dog were in the car. Having a dog means that it is a lot harder to find a hotel and having a pregnant wife means that everything is just a little more stressful. Then, randomly she looked at the screen and called a room and asked the person that had answered what he was doing in that room and "How did you get in there". She then realized she had made a mistake and apologized and hung up. Very strange. I would not have been mad if the website didn't tell me twenty minutes prior that there were rooms available and if the front desk person hadn't told me that they do in fact have rooms. Thankfully, the guy at Wingate was great and got us in painlessly. I really hope they get their act together because this used to be a great place to stop.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marley S
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at La Quinta Inn & Suites Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Marley S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay. We thank you for continuing to think of us as you're traveling through the area however disheartened to hear you didn't have a good stay this time around. We're sorry for the service you experienced as we strive to provide great customer service to all our guests. We would like to discuss your experience with you personally. Please reach out to our General Manager, Chris, at Chris.kilkus@hawkeyehotels.com. Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The Aloft is very easy to find off of 81 and there are many surrounding places to shop and eat. The staff was very friendly; check-in & check-out were quick and easy. I used the gym for a bit and the equipment is brand new. They even had fresh towels, a water cooler and yoga mats for you to use. The room was very modern with a comfy bed and an awesome shower. Some ppl complained about the breakfast not being included but I don't expect it to be these days. They had a nice breakfast variety including bagels, pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal or you can have a breakfast sandwich made. The prices are very reasonable.

The only issue I had was being woken up at 2am by another room's TV blasting. I called down to the desk and she said she would have someone check it out. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not but within 10 mins, the noise stopped. It's obviously not the hotels fault that someone had their TV too loud but it could be the walls are too thin.

Bottom line is that I'm glad I chose the Aloft. I don't think I will ever have to return to Winchester but I will look for this chain in other places I travel too!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Hotel is located right off the Interstate with numerous food options and the local mall within 2-3 miles. Hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and the rates are very affordable. There is a pool and gym in the hotel as well. If you're staying in Winchester then there Isn't any reason to stay anywhere else but here.

• Stayed: January 2014
Chris K, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone about your stay! I'm really glad that you had a good time, and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We had to go to Winchester to see a play at Shenandoah University. Checked hotels.com and this was a terrific last minute online deal. We had never even heard of aloft before.
We had a great time! The room was clean and comfortable. we liked the open foyer/ bar/ pool table area. Bartender Cory was really nice, and we sampled some local beers. The indoor pool Splash is small but very nice and great way to de-stress after long drive. Close proximity to Shenandoah University, Costco for gas, and Waffle House for late night munchies was appreciated! We did not realize dogs were allowed, or would have brought ours.
Only problem was cosmetic. During the evening while we were out, a wooden panel fell off the ceiling of our room and landed in the floor. When we returned and reported it, someone wag up in our room in two minutes and removed the panel. They offered to switch our room, but it was only cosmetic so we stayed in same room. The next morning add we checked out, the manager offered us a free breakfast to compensate for the problem. It want his fault, and we thought that was really nice.
Very convenient to interstate 81. Very nice staff. Very safe. we were not bothered by any noise. We were on sixth floor. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear JoyinVirginia,
Thank you for sharing your recent visit to Winchester. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and glad to hear you took advantage of many of our amenities, from W XYZ bar, splash indoor pool, and remix lounge, and loved our convenient location. Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Started a long trip cross country and back pulling a car on a 26' trailer. Had enough room for us to park and was easy to get to. Rooms were clean and fresh, main desk was cheerful and helpful. Breakfast service was terrible. Took forever and my sandwich was burned. I would stay here again and go somewhere else for breakfast

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at La Quinta Inn & Suites Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear cadan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay in Winchester. We hope you're enjoying your cross country trip. We're happy we were able to accommodate your parking need and you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The Aloft is our first spot heading south to Florida each year. The place is modern, clean and has a friendly staff. They give good discounts and there are no surprises on arrival. Good location off of Rte 81. Plenty of restaurants nearby.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at La Quinta Inn & Suites Winchester, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear seggycc,
Thank you for your loyalty. We're happy to be able to be your home away from home while you're on the road. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here for three days while traveling for work. Nice place, good service and a huge room. They have re-done the whole place so it has this odd beat, club feel BUT that was fine, just a bit odd. The bed was big, lots of space and a great shower.

Room Tip: Get a corner room, much bigger but same price