“Great place, but not for everybody”
Review of aloft Winchester

aloft Winchester
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
DC Area
“Great place, but not for everybody”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Took a romantic get away over the July 4th Holiday to the Aloft Winchester. Have mixed feelings about the concept of the hotel. The photos on their website made it look a little boutique-ish; so I thought it would be fun to try them out.

Yet this is one of the hardest reviews that I have written for Tripadvisor - love the concept and style - even though I am probably much older than their target demographic.

With this hotel having just opened in June 2010, everything was what one would expect - a clean comfortable place overall. Though it was not till the next morning that we saw that the comforter was soiled. To be fair we missed it with the way the light entered the room and the way the comforter was laid out on our arrival. It was only one of the two low points on our stay there. The other being their re:fuel food. The wraps we had were soggy and flavorless.

The concept behind the Aloft is hip, trendy, and eco-friendly. And it is the eco-friendly part that gave me pause as a hotel to recommend for a romantic get away. The lighting options are basically white fluorescent bulbs that gave the room a dormitory feel. A couple of options I would suggest to them on the lighting is to use warmer color bulbs or for the sconces on either side of the bed a warmer color panel. My next stay for a romantic getaway there I will borrow from my cruise ship experiences and bring some battery powered votive candles along to give the room a nice warm glow... Also not sure if it was the water pressure or their use of "ultra-low flow" toilets... but it took two or three flushes sometimes.

For those travelers that like total darkness for mid-day sleep or naps will not like the window shades used at the Aloft. They are just simple shades in a track. So they don't keep all the daylight out. Hope that the Aloft would provide complimentary eyeshades for those that are bothered by this. And there is no sheer curtain to obscure the dreaded views of parking lots and hotels next door.

Now that the negative stuff is out of the way... All I can say about the staff is WOW! Requested an early check-in; but that was not going to be till noon or so. Explained the travel plans and asked if there was any earlier options. The gentleman I spoke with looked at the king room availability and blocking a room would be no problem. Once I got the reservation confirmed a woman confirmed the blocking of the room for me. She asked me if there was anything else I would be needing. Told her that I would like extra towels and water in the room. Her reply was "How many?" Told her an extra set of towels and 6 bottles of water would be fine. And on getting to the room they were all there!

Not sure if it was that the hotel is new, and maybe so under booked. Or was it because of being SPG member (though don't have the nights to deserve such stellar treatment IMO). Or maybe something in the water they give the staff. But seldom have I had a hotel staff provide such level of service. All the while making simple requests seem routine. I can only hope that the other Aloft Hotels provide the same level of service.

For as much as I groused early on in this review of some of the short comings during my stay. I look forward to going to the Aloft again knowing more of what to expect.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChipNovaMac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Northern VA
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I frequently visit the Winchester area a couple of times a month due to my job and believe me this is not the best place to be for a city girl like myself. I've stayed in almost every major hotel in this area and was never really impressed or satisfied with any; they were either too old or too family-like for my taste.

On to my experience at this location. I stayed here this past weekend and it was fabulous! The staff was beyond friendly and very helpful! The atmosphere is exactly what I wanted - house/pop music playing, the W XYZ bar & lounge (PLEASE get liquor license soon) and the backyard (outdoor patio)

The room was perfect! Extremely clean, VERY comfortable bed, modern bathroom with Bliss products (my fav), great flat screen TV with hookup for any electronic such as a portable DVD player and a great selection of movies and other specialties to order. Also love the dim-mellow lighting throughout the hotel. There was not one negative thing at this hotel that I can point out.

Aloft (in my opinion) is not a family-friendly hotel. There are at least 6 other hotels in the vicinity that are family-oriented and have more suitable rooms for parents with children. (You can see someones silhouette in the shower from the room because of the floor-to-ceiling frosted glass window in the bathroom) which I love but I don't think most parents would like among other things in the hotel which is suitable for a much younger crowd in their 20's-30's. I dealt with this issue for a year in Winchester with ALL the family-friendly hotels and I'm really hoping that this is not going to be an issue at Aloft. I prefer not to see a bunch of screaming kids running around while I'm having a drink at the bar or playing pool in the lounge. Please let us young professionals have the one hotel in Winchester to our own for relaxation purposes.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KhloeS
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2010

On on way through of travels of Virginia we made the aLoft Winchester our first nights sleep. The hotel was very modern looking and our first stay at an aLoft. We would gladly stay here again. The bar wasn't yet ready, still waiting on a license, but we weren't hear for that so we weren't disappointed. We really liked the room layout. We've read other reviews about aLoft rooms missing a bathroom door. They have one, it's just that they slide left and right. The room was spacious and very clean. The kids enjoyed the pool downstairs. We didn't purchase anything to eat or drink. We took the kids to the nearby Waffle House for breakfast in the morning before leaving the Winchester area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family