“Exceptional Service and Staff”

The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I hosted a bridal shower at this hotel in the Martha Room in late March. I stayed for two nights as I live about a 35 minute drive away and wanted to have everything there and ready to go in the morning and a room to socialize in as needed for after the shower. My room was on the 5th floor and was more than I had hoped. The room was immaculate with a king size bed, refrigerator, microwave, flat screen TV, a large desk and a full couch with coffee table. The bathroom was large and the shower was AWESOME... perfect water pressure, large size with bench, great amenities. This room is a great value for the price and the room service breakfast I ordered was also very reasonable as compared to similar hotels in other cities. The best thing about this hotel, however, is the staff, Jane Obst assisted me with the planning of the event, a classy Tiffany themed bridal shower with sit down tea. The food and drinks were fabulous
and the service was absolutely top notch! Jennifer was the manager of the shower the day of the event and I cannot say enough good things about her!! When the staff found out that 2 of the ladies attending were gluten free, they informed the chef and gluten free plates were prepared for the main course and for dessert. The Martha Room and Grand Ballroom are stunning places to host a shower/party/reception and I would not hesitate to host another event at this venue. From the front desk, to the Bellman, to the servers, to the event staff...all provided exceptional service with a smile and everyone who attended the shower commented what a wonderful friendly yet professional atmosphere they helped to create. I highly recommend this hotel for an event or just a stay to explore the historic city of Winchester, VA. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel

999 - 1,005 of 1,937 reviews

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We only spent one night in this lovely hotel, sheltering from a terrific rainstorm. This prevented us from getting around but, fortunately, this was a nice place spend the night. The room was large, comfortable and charming. Very quiet. In the morning, we exercised in the small gym (3 machines and some weights) and noticed the pretty but uselessly shaped pool. It had a hot tub which might be an attraction to some.
The problem was the breakfast service in the morning--the waiter neglected to bring our breakfast until we got up to leave. Mediocre food. Maybe he was distracted by the large tour group that was dining together upstairs. We were the only ones eating at 9 am. Perhaps we should have eaten elsewhere.

The hotel is conveniently located in the downtown, which, after a long decline, is experiencing some revival. Maybe the $30 million spent on bringing the hotel back from the dead will be rewarding but it may take more time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were just passing through Winchester Virginia and decided to try this hotel. It was a beautiful hotel. The rooms were pretty and well stocked. The beds and pillows were nice and comfortable. The rooms were very clean. The pool was beautiful and the staff was not only extremely nice but very accommodating. They even printed us out antique stores with addresses for our stay in the town for the day. The price was a great. I will be staying there again soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm giving this place 2 dots, only for its convenient location and lovely historical building, however stripped of charm. Very disappointing when the foundation is there for a wonderful old hotel but run like a motel on a feeder road. The room decor was cheap chunky furniture and dreary, stained fabrics. My shins are black and blue from smashing them on the protruding corners of the poorly designed bed each time I passed by. The reception staff was lackadaisical to simply rude. My key failed three separate times, requiring me to make a trip to the reception desk and ding the bell to get the staff from the back room. I was told to keep it away from my phone. Self parking overloaded, no valet in sight. Several trips around the block. When I went to check out, the snitty clerk asked if I had read my bill that was slipped under the door. It contained extras only. Then refused to give me a copy of room charges claiming I had booked through Orbitz. I did not. Had to take that up with Amex, who I did book through. I loathed the entire visit to this bordering-on-seedy motel.

2  Thank JMHGTexas
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Love to spend our annual visit to Winchester and would not think of staying anywhere else. Facility is top shelf and the staff exemplify the meaning "Southern Hospitality"