“Pretty bad” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Pretty bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The second worst Courtyard I have stayed at. When I checked in my trash was not emptied, so I had someone else's trash. Also the coffee pot was not cleaned out, there was still a bit of brown water to swirl around the bottom. Housekeeping also had provided two conditioners in the room instead of shampoo and conditioner. It took two trips down to the lobby and two room deliveries to get a shampoo.

It's an older feeling Courtyard, the drawers had bits of dust and debris in them (tiny piece of paper and clothing tags from a different guest). There is no Bistro yet, and they still offer lobby coffee.

I checked out the next morning and went to a newer hotel near the mall.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank roushsm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Front desk was very nice, however the bar was "closed" for renovations even though it was fully stocked.?.? Pillows were super soft, bed not so much. No refrigerator in the room. Very noisy as kids were running through the hallways until 11:00 pm. Pool was nice to have but SUPER chlorinated! Clean look to the hotel...but not up to Marriott standards! BTW 7.95 for Continental breakfast

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rich M
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here during the easter weekend for a friend's wedding and because we are silver members with Marriott we normally default to stay in a Marriott if there is one close by. Courtyard was the closest Marriott to the wedding and we read the property is fairly clean and the service is friendly. The property's cleanliness was average and I've seen better at other Marriott's I've stayed at, but it wasn't horrible. The service was probably, by far, one of the worse experiences we've encountered at a Marriott. We checked in late on Friday night after a delayed flight and the gentleman that assisted us was rude. In the middle of checking us in, the phone rings and he picks it up and instead of asking the individual to hold while he finishes servicing us, he continues to talk to the individual while checking us in. He whispered to us to get our ID and didn't converse with us the entire time, except login why we are staying at their hotel and telling us the location of the elevator after handing us the key. He didn't give us any eye contact as well and didn't thank us for choosing to stay at their hotel. We normally get very friendly and courteous service at the other Marriott properties we have stayed at. Also, we called in to housekeeping that our toilet wouldn't flush, but no one showed up to fix the problem. Maybe they were thinking that since we were going to be checking out that day already there was no point in fixing it while we were still there. Also something I have never encountered at a Marriott. If I was to go to Winchester again, I do not think I will be staying at this Courtyard again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Patricia M
Middleburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here x 2 nights after being snowed in. The front desk staff was superb and extremely accommodating. The room was OK, and the bathroom - let's not talk about it. I have pictures of various things, but I prefer not to include them. The snow days had created a mess, and the snow removal on property ground was not terrific...Even with the preferred rate, for the quality, it was expensive.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Dom V
Burlington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hotel is an attractive, easily-reached property, and is especially convenient to the Winchester Medical Center, only guests need to be aware that rooms located on the front side above the main entrance can be quite noisy, owing to heavy tractor trailer traffic at all hours on US 50. An additional caveat--room prices have recently increased significantly, plus the complimentary breakfast is soon to disappear.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dennis W
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I did not think that I would write a negative review of Marriott property, but this hotel pretty much does it. It is definitely not up to Marriott standards. It in a average state of repair and cleanliness. Rooms are cramped, night stands are tiny, bed is the most uncomfortable. It is hard, lumpy, and very bouncy. Jacuzzi pool had plenty of hair swimming in it. Towels are in shameful condition: they are grey, worn-out rags. The room did not have "do-not disturb" sign to put on the door, did not have a list of TV channels lineup and also it did not have a box of tissues. To top it all, in the morning all hot water in the hotel was turned off, so we could not take a shower before leaving. The front desk explained that there is an emergency and water will be back on in some time, but just could not wait that long. Breakfast is not included in Courtyard. It is additional ten bucks per guest. Overall, pretty bad experience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank perlusha
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I stayed here for an overnight while passing through with my family. I asked for an adjoining room and what the cost would be. I was told 102. I found that extremely good, yet very low priced, therefore I confirmed that price was for an adjoining room and was told that yes it was, plus I had AAA therefore that discounted the room as well.

I ended up being double charged even though my emailed receipt was 102. I called and left various messages for Linda Gray the manager and she never returned my call. The staff was rude and did not attempt to help at all.

I am still waiting for a refund and will most likely have to take it up with corporate.

• Stayed February 2014