“Near 81 and Places to Eat!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Candlewood Suites Winchester
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Winchester
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
“Near 81 and Places to Eat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here while driving from Vermont to Florida. This hotel is right off of 81 near Shenandoah University. There are places that are inexpensive to eat like Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, and Perkins close to this hotel. The parking lot and the lobby were a bit unpleasant and the first employee we dealt with while checking in seemed to be having an off night. The hallways also had an unpleasant smell. That being said once we were inside of our room it was very nice, clean and comfy with a stove, full size fridge and anything you would need for cooking and free popcorn and water. If you are staying for a night a two the room is clean and comfy and the location is great!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I am a loyal Holiday Inn brand customer. Holiday Inn IHG rewards is running a promotion for extra reward points if you stay in one of their other brands so I chose Candlewood Suites on this trip. I was SO disappointed.
Immediately upon opening the door to my room I was hit with the VERY STRONG odor of stale cigarettes and some type chemical cleaner? I knew this would result in almost immediate inflammation of my sinuses and a miserable couple of days.
I called the front desk and explained the problem asking if I could move to another room. I was told there was one other room available in the hotel and if I wanted it I would have to pay an additional $37. I asked why I would need to pay this difference when it was a problem with their room necessitating the change. I was told it was a very busy weekend with a lot of activities going on in the area and they were not going to rent a room at a reduced rate for any reason. I could not believe I was hearing this.
I have been staying in Holiday Inn Express for many years and always choose them when on the road. I have never had a problem with a room that was not immediately addressed and resolved-without additional cost. This experience with Candlewood Suites was so dissapointing.
This property is fine in other ways-cleanliness, room lay out etc. but the lack of consideration for my need as a customer will keep me from returning.

Room Tip: Check the room for smoke/chemical odors before paying.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear jolyn636,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us.

We are concerned to read that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. We sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction caused by the smell and regret the inconvenience this has caused you. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed and actions will be made where possible.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very clean rooms and friendly staff. Love that it is pet friendly and has kitchens in every room with full size fridge. Mike at the front desk printed out directions for places for dinner and suggested a few nice places to have a nice evening at.

Room Tip: Bedroom suites actually have a bedroom that is separate from the living room area, great for familie...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Where to begin?? At check-in the clerk lacked any customer service skills. His appearance was less than desirable and he smelled of smoke! We were advised that the hotel does not have any ice machines and that when we get in the room we should turn on the ice machine in the refrig!!! Well isn't that dandy. Considering we were there for one night, what do we do for ice until the machine in the refrig. makes ice - NOTHING!! The clerk could care less.... While checking in we had dog leases (yes plural) rapped around our legs. Now, we have had numerous dogs and cats but we didn't allow them to bother other people. The hotel smells from cooking odors and animal smells!! Our room had been vacuumed but the bed spread had NUMEROUS stains on it from who knows what. The recliner chair fabric was also badly stained to the point that we wouldn't sit in it. The room was a total turn off!!

So, unless you like your room to smell like animals, don't need ice, like soiled furniture, and like dirty bed spreads from people doing whatever on them, DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!

Room Tip: choose the nearby Hampton Inn or a Holiday Inn Express. We really like the Holiday Inn Express but...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Winchester, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear 2008floridatraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I am concerned to read that your experience was not what you expected. I apologize for our level of cleanliness didn't live up to your expectations and truly sorry for the inconvenience the smell of the room has caused you. We regret the service issues and negative impressions you may have had.

Your comments are very important as we rely on you, our valued guest to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
north carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We visited this hotel on Aug 10. Our purpose was a family visit and this hotel was about half way for the southern folks and the northern folks. I picked this place because of the points reward card and their pet policy. There was a small problem with our initial reservations that was quickly and thoughtfully corrected. The first shift desk staff and the 3rd shift desk staff were very nice and helpful. The second shift desk staff was rude and refused to give my husband an extra pack of coffee. My husband even offered to exchange the decaf for the regular. The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. The pet policy is very manageable. We travel often with our 2 chihauhau's. There are a good number of restaurants and shopping nearby. If you are visiting in the area, I strongly suggest stopping at the Visitor's Center which is only a few blocks away. I-81 is only a block away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NCSandy
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was only here for a night but this would be a great place for a longer stay. The room size was good and having the full kitchen was a nice bonus. They have a small store downstairs in case you need anything essential or to snack on. I would defiantly stay here again next time im in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank B H
Milledgeville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Had to find a place off the highway for a night that would take our Golden Retriever. The pet deposit is only 12.00 and with the coupon from the highway rest area, we got the room plus pet deposit for about 100. (It was a Monday night though) no pool, but we didn't care because the room was awesome for us for the night. Loved the kitchen and full sized refrigerator to refreeze our water bottles for the cooler for the morning. Clean, not gross, perfect for us!!!

• Stayed July 2013