“Shabby & uncomfortable”
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
“Shabby & uncomfortable”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This is the second professional conference I've attended here, and I'm even more disappointed this second time. I was assured there was WiFi - haven't seen any yet. Cell coverage is spotty at best - which matters. I'm not here for vacation, but I can't get business done. And my room is far away
from the meeting space, over half a mile up the mountain with stairs stairs stairs - and is cramped, shabby and smells moldy. I'm sorry I came - again.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank MLCD
Geoff8212, Manager at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Good Afternoon,

I want to thank you for your recent stay here at Wintergreen and for taking the time to write your review of your stay here at Wintergreen Resort. The resort does have WiFi service available in our accomodations, public spaces as well as our conference facilities. The resort realizes the challenges that guests have with cell service in and around the resort, realizing we are in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Carriers that do not invest in keeping their customers coverage and adding additional towers in areas in rural areas is something most resorts in mountain locations experience. The resort uses a local provider company and they have added several new towers in this area which works quite well. I again apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while here at the resort, but if you would like to contact me and give me some specifics on your entire stay, I would greatly appreciate it. I am the Director of Lodging and you can contact me at the resorts main number. Thank You again for your review and your stay here at Wintergreen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We visited Wintergreen Resort just this past weekend with our 2 boys. Based on descriptions on their website, I expected an upscale resort with lots of amenities. This review focuses on our experience with lodging, food, and some activities for children.

First, the lodging. When we arrived, we were instantly disappointed with the condition of the condos and houses. We knew these are individually owned and decorated but didn't expect them to look so run down. We were given access keys to the condo where we would be staying. We drove to the condo and coudn't find our unit. We kept driving around and finally decided to park the car to walk around and look for the unit. Turns out the unit was 3 flights of stairs down from the parking lot (the land is sloped); it looked dark, and mosquitoes were swarming around us. We didn't feel safe (since we have a toddler and a baby), so we requested another unit. The lady at the check-in desk was very understanding of our concerns and offered another unit. This second unit looked better (only 1 flight of stairs below ground). We came inside and it was dark and smelled moldy. We didn't feel good about this either and explained we wanted a a healthier environment for the kids. We were then offered a third unit at the top of the mountains (Highlands place). We actually really liked this unit (beautiful view of the mountains, no moldy smell, and great parking), although it's definitely not hotel quality (no marble sink, big tub, nice lighting, etc.). It's like a condo unit built in the late 70s. I do like the fact that there was a balcony and a full kitchen.

The dining was just okay. We went to Coppermine restaurant twice (since there were not a lot of options). Dinner was so so (3 stars), and their breakfast buffet was actually not bad for the price ($13.95/person).

Free activities were somewhat limited. We went to the indoor pool; it looked okay but definitely not as nice as pictured on their website. We drove to Lake Monocan and took a 30-minute paddle boat ride; nothing spectacular.

All in all, Wintergreen resort was not what we expected. We were looking for an upscale place to relax and also allow the kids to explore. Wintergreen resorts did not deliver. The lodging was sub par (condos look old and depressing). We had to drive everywhere. If you're hoping for a place where everything is housed inside a large building, Wintergreen is not for you. We drove to eat, to the pool, to the lake. Also, there were very few children (we saw one child the whole weekend). I left Wintergreen disappointed and tired.

Room Tip: State your preferences (above ground, etc.)
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank j_innovative
Geoff8212, Manager at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Wintergreen Resort thanks you for your review of the property. Wintergreen Resort offers villa style accomodations that are privatley owned and managed by Wintergreen Resort. We apologize that our accomodations and amenities did not meet your expectations. Our transporation services runs a shuttle around the resort on demand for guest convenience of not having to drive to our amenities of the resort. Please feel free to contact me as I would like to have some information in regards to your trip so I can make sure that our guest are communicated to and given every opportunity to enjoy the amenities of the resort. You can call the resort and ask for me, as I am the Director of Lodging. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.
Sylva, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2011

The desk staff and wait staff are friendly and very helpful. Our room was beautiful and the view outstanding. We could walk to the spa, aquatic and fitness center and we were right at one of the outdoor trails. Loved the aquatic center (an indoor and outdoor pool). The locker rooms are outstanding and staff are fantastic. There are plenty of restaurants within anyone's price range and the condos have full kitchens if you wish to cook.

Room Tip: We loved the condos that were up the mountain.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank bs0927
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 29 March 2011

This was our 3rd stay at Wintergreen. My primary reason for coming is the excellent quality of the tennis program, but all the amenities are terrific. My 2 girls (20 and 15) love the spa and fitness center. The golf seems very good (I am not a golfer but was told it is highly regarded). In winter and summer it is an easy place to find a lot to do. Great people, warm and friendly. The quality of the staff is excellent - they really pay attention to detail and cleanliness. We will happily come again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dmc2
Fairfax County, Virginia
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I have been skiing for 25 years this review is fair. The place is a dump. The bathroom in the cafeteria is outdated and smelled like pee and duty. The tables and chairs were like something you have at your pool cheap plastic. No free ski check??? skis are laid around every where because it costs 3 buck to store your skis and your lucky if you find out that they offer it because they sure dont advertise it. This is the biggest problem, there is NO PARKING and NO SHUTTLE BUS to the slopes. You have to walk 3 hundred miles up hill in your boots to get to the lifts (dont forget something in your car you wont be back until 3pm) The funniest thing is they have like tons of parking up top but its empty and a guard wont let you in because its for god knows who. They dont have FLEX tickets you have to buy 8 hours. The place is like so far behind in innovation and customer service they dont deserve your business until they step up their game. Go some where else, waste of time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank cattoy37
new bern, nc
Reviewed 25 January 2011

stayed at mountain inn which was convenient to spa, slopes, and restaurants through their shuttle service which was available almost instantly and we never had to wait over 5 minutes. You walk out of the mountain inn and ski right down the slopes to the lifts. Great snow making and no ice on the beginner slopes where we spent our time with our first time 8 yr. old skier who left after 3 days and two group lessons ($17 each) able to do all the beginner slopes. Our daughter was thrilled with her new skiing ability and wants to know when we can go back. If you map quest to get there keep in mind that they close the blue ridge parkway in the winter time so map quest tried to take me down the blueridge parkway which was a no go. Best to get directions from the very friendly staff. All the accomodations, food, spa, and stores were excellent and reasonable in price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NcDon
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We stayed in a three bedroom condo on the golf course for two nights. Great layout, good kitchen, fire place, nice view. The construction is starting to show its age, but overall, just what we were looking for -- a place to gather with friends, have dinner, go skiing and ring in the New Year. The Resort said there would be a NYE party with band... I don't know what happened, but the party never got started. Be sure to check with them before you go.
Had a nice dinner at the Devil's Grill. For the holiday evening they had several seatings - reserve early to be sure you get the time you want. That said, there were many empty tables during our time. Food was fine. Nice wine list.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
Residence Inn Waynesboro
#1 of 1 in Nellysford
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Lovingston

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!