“Great Staff, ok facilities.”
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Virginia, United States
“Great Staff, ok facilities.”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I came to the Wintergreen as a quick get away before our first child is born, so I am unable to take in account their winter activities. The staff was wonderful! Our shuttle driver on 1/6/14 was very friendly and knowledgeable. Our waiter at the edge on the same night was great and breakfast the next morning at the black bear café was great as well. Our first night there the power was shut down for an hour on one of the coldest nights. I understand that this was due to repairs but I feel we should have been informed at check in (we arrived at 5:00) we received a voicemail at 7 to make any preparation. How could we do that when the general store was closes at 5?( and was not open the following day so we were unable to use our free coffee coupon) Needless to say we woke up freezing as the sliding doors are old. The heat shuts off and drops down to 60 in the rooms (this was also in our second night). As for our room, we got "the best available rate" studio condo, for almost 200 a night (with taxes) I expected a little more. At check in we were not informed we needed to turn on the water to our unit, this information would have been useful, I do understand it is to prevent the pipes from freezing. The bathroom was so small. The shower was terrible! The water pressure was lacking and it seemed to be low flow, I didn't feel like I could get a proper shower (and I am a rather small lady even being 6.5 months pregnant!), my husband had a harder time as he is rather tall. Also, in the bathroom the paint was chipping around the shower. As for the restaurants themselves the food was good but the up keep seemed lacking. (it looked as though nothing has been done in the last decade to keep it looking fresh and clean). I was very disappointed in the wildlife center. There was a small exhibit on early mountain life and some taxidermy. The woman there was very nice and did her best with what she was given to work with. I did make a trip to the spa, this was the only nice, modern and clean looking building I visited. The staff was very nice and accommodating. I struggled with how to rate The Wintergreen resort, the helpful, friendly staff and the views were the highlights. The room was OK, but for the money I spent I feel like I could have gone to a holiday inn and had a better stay. I understand the location goes into the pricing but the room quality could have been better. I would go back ,as my experience was nice, if I had the money to spend on a nicer rental.

My advise is if you have a lower budget try and find a near by hotel (maybe in Waynesboro). If you do have the budget to splurge to skimp on the rental type, I am sure it would make all the difference.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 3crazycats
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear 3crazycats,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations in our accomodations. The Cold weather snap and the unfortunate power outage during the time you spent with us did present some challenges. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss more about your accomodations so that I can direct our rental properties team to address the issues of the unit. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest and my hope is that we can make your next trip more enjoyable . We look forward to welcoming you back

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

My family and I use to come when I was younger, I was beyond excited for this family vacation. I gave a two star rating because my 8 year old loved the ski lessons. The 3 bedroom condominium we stayed in was musty, outdated and the beds are hard as a rock. The restaurants were okay and the food decent, at the copper mine we witnessed a manager cursing out the staff (within ear shot of our small kids, incredibly unprofessional) There is a charge for everything it seems like and the hold on the room for damages? What in here could possibly amount to 3,000 dollars? The housekeeping was none existent, when we arrived the trash bins were still full and on the second day we came back to our room and found a big bag of little soaps and other supplies? Seems they hurried through and then left the supplies behind. There is a washer and dryer, dishwasher etc but we have found no supplies for either. I am glad the kids had a good time but I don't plan on returning again. If your still interested in visiting I would suggest renting a house off property, perhaps that would be more enjoyable.

Stayed December 2013
5 Thank Prettypinkpancakes
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Prettypinkpancakes,

Thank you for you recent stay here at Wintergreen Resort and taking the time to give us valuable feedback on your stay and where we fell short of your expectations. We value your comments and I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay in detail so that future guest do not experience what you did. If you could contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com or 434-325-8212, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you. Happy New Years to you and your family
Chesapeake, United States
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Had a wonderful family of four first visit to Wintergreen Resort for skiing and family relaxing. We stayed in a corner condominium, and the accomodations were perfect, with our two adult children comfortable and spread out. Couldn't understand why they had an installed combo lock on the trundle bed in the loft though, so our son slept on the very comfortable couch. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The condos were well stocked and well maintained. Worth the additional cost.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Francis B
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Francis B

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we made a memorable experience for you. As you may or may not know, our units are privatley owned and some of our owners have sleep sofas that are for their personal use and not for guest use as we want you to have the best experience possible and sleep in a bed. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We visited Wintergreen with four other couples for a weekend retreat. Everybody had a wonderful time and was please with the accommodations and restaurant choices. The food was absolutely fantastic. We look forward to doing this trip year after year

Room Tip: Two bedroom lofts are the best
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Happy21157
Director_Lodging, Director Of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Happy 21157,

We are so happy to read that you and your group enjoyed your stay once again. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back
Alton, Virginia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

From the first time we visited Wintergreen, as a celebration of our engagement, I fell in love. Each condo is decorated and furnished with great detail. Everything you need is provided, all you have to bring is clothes and food and you won't even want to leave the condo. The fireplace and jacuzzi tub are my favorite amenities, besides the totally awesome views. The first time we visited was 2008 and we have visited every year since.

Room Tip: Ask for panoramic views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Cindy C
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Cindy C

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed yet another stay and that Wintergreen has become a memorbale place for you to come and enjoy. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a lovely little cottage in the resort. The cottage was nice, but we were dependent on our car to get anywhere - to the hiking trails, to the nature centre, to the swimming pool. Only other option is a treacherous road without sidewalk. Also found it annoying to have to pay $10/day to use the resort pool as we didn't own the cottage. The condos are a bit of an eyesore in the countryside - and the hiking trails are practically in the back gardens of resort houses. Not really away from it all... But I enjoyed being in the pretty forest and cottage. The swimming pool was shallow but nice, and very clean.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank ms_scotsgirl
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear ms_scotsgirl,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to enjoy the amenities of the resort. The resort guests that rent through Wintergreen have complimentary access to the pool and other exclusive venues that most private rentals cannot offer to their guest. Our miles of hiking trails meander through some of the resort property, others have a very scenic and undistubed trek as you hike away from the main core of the resort. I hope that you will visit us again and take the opportunity to enjoy these hikes and also pick up a Wintergreen Trail Map from The Nature Foundation and they can also advise on the most secluded and scenic hikes. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back
Washington
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have stayed here twice now, and plan on staying again next year for an annual trip to the mountain. It's a nice drive from DC (about 3.5 hours) and leaves enough time for a long weekend to relax. Be sure to take a car that is ok with inclement weather as the roads tend to bend and can get somewhat slippery as you hit the blue ridge (obviously). We ran into a lot of heavy fog too which was unnerving at times, especially as you wind your way up around the mountain. The roads are all well paved though, so unless it's snow season, most cars should be fine.

The first time we were able to come on a non-holiday weekend so things were much quieter and it was easier to book a mountain top lodge instead of a traditional 1 br condo. We didn't realize that Wintergreen resort rents out condos that are privately owned so it was a little strange to walk into a condo filled with family pictures. Both times we stayed, the condo units were tastefully decorated and we were given complimentary upgrades without asking, due to the space available at check-in.

The condo units also had fireplaces which was really nice as we had visited in early-mid November each time and it was a bit colder in the mountains. The second time we stayed, we had a problem with bugs (HUGE spiders) appearing in the bedroom so I hope to stay in a second-story unit next time.. It is too bad we cannot review particular units because I found the bed to be pretty uncomfortable in the second condo as well.

There is plenty to do at Wintergreen, even when the weather is bad. The second time we stayed, it pretty much rained all weekend. However just take a poncho and warm layers and walk through the nature trails which are well marked and easy to access. Some of the trails continue along the roads where the condos are, so it's easy to hop onto them. There is also a pool and small gym, tennis court (be sure to reserve ahead of time), golf course and a few shops.

The spa is very relaxing, I really enjoyed the quiet time in the waiting area after a massage. I had a great experience with both of my massages but my bf had a terrible massage on the second visit so next time I may call ahead and ask for someone who is more experienced. It really was a shame because the massages are not cheap.

Lastly, I want to mention the dining offerings. My favorite place to eat was at the bear cafe (not its official name but it has a statue of a bear in front of it) for a casual lunch and breakfast and the Coppermine Bistro. Coppermine had great service and offered a really nice brunch buffet selection as well as some very rich and delicious small plates that bf and I shared one night. They also offer regular entrees. Their menu offerings were surprisingly diverse. Bf liked the Devils Grill meal a bit more than Coppermine but I didn't find that much of a difference in the quality of the food. Devils Grill was a little more upscale and had a more cushy entrance and slightly more refined service, but Coppermine had a really cozy fireplace and had a more relaxed vibe. Both were very welcoming and not pretentious at all. The Edge was also ok, a good place to go with friends or family (ie louder groups) for a casual dinner and drinks.

I honestly look forward to our long weekends here each year, the mountains are so beautiful at this time and everything is really peaceful. Make sure to reserve well ahead of time, especially for holiday weekends as the mountain view lodges can book up quickly. Also make sure to reserve time at the spa and golf course well ahead. Bring a poncho or rain jacket and plenty of layers because the weather can easily get cold and damp.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OffCourseTravels
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear JT,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to experience a lot of the amenities around the resort. It appears you made the most out of your trip despite the weather. We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we once again made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again for sharing your experience with us and our readers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
Residence Inn Waynesboro
#1 of 1 in Nellysford
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Lovingston

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!