“Wedding Weekend”
Review of Wintergreen Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wintergreen
Wintergreen Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wintergreen
Charleston, South Carolina
“Wedding Weekend”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I went to this resort for a wedding in late May- it was absolutely gorgeous. I had a room in the main lodge, friends has condos further up the mountain. The views are absolutely breathtaking. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. There is a lot of walking involved, zip lining, pool, there was a music festival there there that weekend. Over all an amazing trip, strongly suggest for a weekend getaway or a family trip

Room Tip: I would choose the one bedroom not the studio the views are 100% better
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank meghanleigh_8
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Meghanleigh_8,

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we made a memorable experience for you. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We went to the Wintergreen resort for a wedding in May and enjoyed our experience. There weren't many people around but we loved hiking around the resort and imagining what it looks like in the winter. Our studio apartment was very comfortable and perfect for a one night stay. The food at the restaurants look and sound good but are very overpriced. I am sure this place is very fun in the winter.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Heatherbgale,

Ashburn, VA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Perfect place for weekend getaway. Although it is a ski resort first and foremost, it has plenty to do in the summer. There is a nice fitness center with indoor and outdoor pool. Lots of jacuzzis. Plenty of outdoor activities. Lake Monacon is close by. The Appalachian trail is close by for those who love to hike.

Room Tip: ground floor studio condos have outdoor hot tubs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suepro
Dear Suepro,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed in a condominium at Wintergreen Resort for our daughter's graduation from UVA. We had the 3-bedroom, townhouse, White Oak, unit 646. It was clean, sparsely but recently decorated and there was firewood and fire starters provided for our arrival. Bathrooms were clean and neat - make sure you request more towels. Loft bedroom with 2 single beds and two queens made for comfortable sleeping. We did not use the amenities of the resort as we were commuting the 45 plus minutes to UVA and Charlottesville for the graduation festivities each day. Was very quiet and peaceful. We arrived after midnight on Friday, and stayed until Monday morning and this was cost wise a much better choice than any of the hotels in and around C-ville, where the prices were doubled and 4 night minimums (if available when I tried to book one year in advance of the graduation) was the norm. This was a good choice for our family. We each liked having our own space to crash at the end of each tiring day. Plenty of fabulous breweries and wineries dot the road between the two places. I would go back to experience more of those and try the ski and tennis facilities another time.

Room Tip: Very quiet time of year so I think any of these townhouse type condos are great!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Director_Lodging, Director of Lodging at Wintergreen Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Pat G,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Overall a fairly mediocre experience. Hotel is extremely crowded during weekends, so expect noise at all hours. Our shower had a clogged drain and room window was practically in the parking lot. Restaurants are WAY overpriced and typically a 1-2 hour wait for all meals. Actual skiing is good for Mid-Atlantic standards with good slope variability. Be prepared to WAIT at the lifts. The ice skating rink is an absolute joke: tiny, chunky, and skates without edges! All for $15! If you can make the trip go up north. Only nice thing was the spa with outdoor hot tubs and indoor pools.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ben m
Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your stay here at Wintergreen Resort in February. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We take these reviews serious and I welcome the opportunity to discuss with you. Winter is our very busy time period and February was an extremely busy ski month for us and I apologize once again that your experience was not what you expected. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Washington DC
Reviewed 21 April 2014

(Please read through to the review of the copper mine bistro for important food information). (This review also contains information about the inaccessibility of Wintergreen).

We just got back from our 2 day stay. If you follow my reviews, you'll know there are a lot of details. Please keep reading for details on handicapped accessible units.

If you haven't been to Wintergreen, I'll provide you with some background. The company basically bought a mountain. When you stay there, you're basically renting someone's condo or house. The resort does maid service and maintenance, but they have no say in terms of the individual rooms/apartments décor or current state. What you get is somewhat of a crap shoot. We stayed there a number of years ago and it was a beautiful 2 bed unit with fireplace.

We traveled to Wintergreen with my grandmother who will be 90 soon. We requested a handicapped accessible unit (confirmed before arrival). When we arrived, the room we were given (we had reserved two rooms) was not accessible by any stretch of the imagination. There were grip bars in the shower...end of discussion (room 195).

To their credit, the front desk manager did take me to 4 different units on the same floor to find one with an elevated toilet and grip bars (room 194), but no walk it shower. My grandmother (who is European) was okay with sponge baths for 2 days, but I cannot recommend this place to anyone with major disabilities. Yes, it is a ski resort designed for active people. But active people have family members who may or may not be able bodied and this is not a place for anyone who is a wheel chair user or has difficulty with getting around. The restaurant (Coppermine Bistro is accessible and the entry to the main building is accessible...the rooms are not). Had we not had room 194, we would have had to leave Wintergreen without staying.

On to the next part: The rooms . My grandmother's unit was larger and more recently rehabbed. All the rooms we were shown (see above for how many rooms I was shown) very nice, but not accessible by any stretch of the imagination.

So on to our room.The floor by room 237 (not our room ...just down the hall) was a bit....well, unstable. I think, given it is a common hallway, they need to repair it. There's something wrong when you walk down a hall to your room and it feels like you're walking on a trampoline.

Our room, 235, was comfortable and well cleaned with great views from the deck, In ski season, a ski in and out condo. But dear Wintergreen, please ask the owner if 235 to put in a real shower and not an old Jacuzzi with a jury rigged shower. (I have pictures to share). To finish, the room was immaculate and the bed very comfortable and TV was fine (large flat screen).

COPPER MINE BISTRO review follows
I would like to give everyone who we met at the Copper Mine Bistro a medal of honor, including the chef. Robert may be a floor manager or the manager, but forgive me folks for not remembering every one's name, everyone was wonderful.

I was concerned traveling with a grandmother who is 1) gluten allergic 2) lactose intolerant and allergic to tomatoes and virtually any pre-made seasoning (can you tell how much I was looking forward to this dinner). She liked her swordfish the first night and LOVED her rack of lamb the second night (Robert arranged for a table next to the fire place). I had the gnocchi the first night and last night we had the short ribs with the fingerling potatoes (instead of the mashed sweat potatoes) with a bottle of Fess Parker Syrah while my grandmother had the rack of lamb. The food and service far beyond what I expected. But Dear Wintergreen, please have a pot of grits or oatmeal for those little old ladies who are gluten intolerant for Easter brunch.

They had tons of stuff to do today, including a non-denominational service and Easter Egg hunt.

We'll be back again very soon, I hope....by ourselves....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank bumper1965
Dear Bumper1965,

Thank You for your recent stay at Wintergreen Resort and your very important review on how we did not meet all of your expectations . . As you may or may not know, our units are privately owned and we use our customer feedback and share with our owners to see how we may the guest experience better. The resort does have limited handicap accessible units and I am glad the front desk was able to assist you in getting better suited accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We did a long weekend trip (Friday-Monday) to Wintergreen coming from Florida as a last minute spring getaway.. It was end of season (late march) so the resort was pretty empty, in fact on Sunday night I swear we were the only ones staying up there.. which was GREAT!

Overall we had a fun time. We knew going up that they were turning down the winter season, so expectations weren't too high.. with some of the amenities (some restaurants, ice rink, etc. not open), but we got a good deal on the room, and end of season ski pricing.

What I would say is set your expectations, this is not Vail or the Swiss Alps, its a small outfit on top of a mountain in Virginia, but what they lack in glamour they make up with southern heart, and they truly make the most of what they have. The net is that we had a fantastic weekend, everyone was super friendly, the kids spent some time in the tree house program and enjoyed every second of it (I swear my 10yo daughter shed a tear as we drove away), and we will probably be back next year.

A few of tips:

1. Stock up before you head up the mountain. There is a small grocery store before you turn up into the mountain.. buy your wine, snacks, water bottles, etc before you head up..
2. Follow the resort on social media, so you get updates on the weather conditions daily
3. Download the app

and have FUN!

Room Tip: As anywhere, rooms on the slope are best, but since its a small place none are too far from the acti...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank latinmon
Dear LatinMon,

We are so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay . We take great pride in our resort and service and the amenities we have to offer our guest, and are pleased to read that we made a memorable experience for you although our ski season was winding down. We look forward to welcoming you back. If I can be of any assistance in future visits to Wintergreen, please do not hesitate to contact me at gtruslow@wintergreenresort.com, Geoff Truslow, Director of Lodging
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wintergreen
Residence Inn Waynesboro
#1 of 1 in Nellysford
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Lovingston

Been to Wintergreen Resort? Share your experiences!