“Made the day!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago
“Made the day!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were on a road trip, with very modest expectations for dinner. Then we found this spot. Simple storefront but the food is incredibly good and unique. The chef, and co-owner, kept appearing from the kitchen with new sauces to try, each more interesting than those before. Spices were delightful, fabulous homemade Naan, tender lamb perfectly cooked, generous portions. So happy we gave it a try. And it clearly makes them happy to please their customers.
Go!

• Visited May 2014

Houston, Texas
“Feel good food”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This small restaurant is located in an unassuming location near the outlets. The menu has items to satisfy a variety of palates and service is excellent. I went in for a buffet thinking I was going to get a large quantity of mediocre food, but I was wrong. The owner made sure we were comfortable and had fresh naan and chicken tandoori prepared for us. The food is has a more authentic, home-cooked style to it rather than restaurant-style. My favorite buffet items were the butter chicken and spinach sabzi. Definitely try the mint-lemonade. I wasn't a fan of the daal, and the rice seemed a bit dry. Otherwise, the buffet is a great value and will leave you more than satisfied.

• Visited May 2014
Woodbridge, Virginia
“rethink location, think customer”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I am a vegetarian and a big fan of middle eastern cuisine. I am grateful for any establishment offering these choices. But I think Al-Zaytoun needs to rethink its location and its menu. It is a tiny place with only one or two sit down tables. It also has a tiny kitchen so cannot deal with a lot of volume. So you could be in for a long wait, depending on what you order. This is a friendly family business but the menu seems to be more based on what works for the proprietor, than on what the customer wants. Whatever you want seems to come only in packages with things or quantities you probably don't want. Either move to premises with a bigger kitchen and specialize in take out. Or get a bigger kitchen and more seating and be a proper restaurant. And give customers more and simpler choices.

• Visited June 2013
“Always cheers me up”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Every once in a while, I have a day like today. I feel like garbage, I'm grumpy, I am having severe allergy and sinus problems, just an all around crummy day.

I save my trips to Al Zaytoon for days like this, because it works better than a bowl of home made chicken soup any day.

Really, while their Kabobs are good, I feel they're one of the weaker items on the menu (relatively speaking.) Grab some Haleem, Keema Samosas, or any kind of Karahi (call ahead, it takes a while to cook) and you have yourself a INCREDIBLE meal which will turn your day around, and completely clear out your sinuses to boot!

Top it off with a mint lemonade and you're golden. Next time you have a crummy day, try it. You can thank me later.

• Visited April 2014
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Just Food and Atmosphere Awful”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I simply cannot imagine how this afghan joint gets praise other than the owners are quite nice. By the numbers:
1. Tasteless food whether lamb or beef kabob . Rice is 1/2 with gravy and 1/2 white.
2. Chick peas are cooked to mush.
3. Bread comes after 1/2 way through the meal.
4. If you insist on order food, DO NOT EAT THERE unless you enjoy depressing takeout joints.
5. Even the baklava is lousy and that takes some doing.
6. We spent over $36 for a crummy meal + you serve yourself + cheapest plastic ware possible + no condiments on tables.

• Visited January 2014