“Pretty Place, Awkward Innkeepers” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mountain Rose Inn

Mountain Rose Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Woolwine B&B and Inns
Chesapeake City, Maryland
“Pretty Place, Awkward Innkeepers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

It was very easy to get lost trying to find the Mountain Rose Inn after dusk. It took us 20 extra minutes to get there. When we finally found the place, Mike was not welcoming whatsoever, and made it very clear that it was a supreme inconvenience for him that we were late. He continued to disappoint us with his lack of hospitality throughout the weekend. He actually yelled at me when I knocked on the door to the kitchen to ask him a question! And though there is absolutely no cell phone service in the area regardless of provider, there was no 'guest phone' available to use. And so once again, having to ask to use the private house line, my husband and I were chided for making outgoing calls. The serene grounds on which Mountain Rose Inn stands, and the old home's delicate Victorian decor do not outweigh the awkwardness that my husband and I felt as we moved about the house in our comings and goings. Should you have to walk on eggshells at a B&B? Absolutely not.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LivnEz
Mountain-Rose, Manager at Mountain Rose Inn, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear LivnEz,

Ouch!! What a complete surprise this review from you is. I am sorry your experience was not what you were expecting and for letting you down. I’ll attempt to address your concerns below.

I sympathized with you both when your Sunday Oct. 7th 5 PM outdoor wedding plans at the Winery were ruined by rain and near freezing temps. I also understood how frustrating it can be to drive in the heavy fog and misting rain and to get lost coming to a place that your husband had already been to that day. I now fear that those ruined plans and difficult drive may have altered your perception of your overall experience here a bit.

A bit of information - innkeepers are people too and are susceptible to catch colds, be sick, etc and yet almost always, we work anyway because we care about our business and our guests. Earlier on the day of your arrival, I phoned your fiancé (after he came by the Inn to drop off his car before the wedding) to let him know that I was not feeling well and that you might have to check yourself in if I had already retired for the evening, but that I would leave detailed instructions. We had a pleasant conversation, and he seemed agreeable. (Self check-ins for very late arrivals are somewhat common in the B&B world because almost all small B&Bs are ran by a limited staff. In this case, both my wife & I were not feeling well but did not have other staff available to handle a very late check-in.) A little after 11 pm that evening, I heard what sounded like firecrackers going off in the yard, so I got up to investigate to find that your groomsmen had filled your SUV with balloons and you were popping them all upon your arrival. I mentioned hearing your 21-gun salute when you walked in, but was trying to be jovial to the best of my ability. I guess my attempt at humor came across wrong. I did a really quick check-in for you given the late hour and knowing that you had had a long day and were probably tired. After all, what young couple wants to spend time with an Innkeeper on your wedding night?

When we have honeymooners staying at the Inn, we try to give them their space and alone time. I remember our honeymoon, and I didn’t want to be with anyone but the woman I just married. Because of your long night and your being newlyweds, we served you a complimentary breakfast-in-bed so that you could enjoy your first morning together – just the two of you. Again, with that same thought in mind, I made home-made cocoa for you on Mon evening and delivered it to your room to enjoy as you watched a movie. I guess my attempts at giving you peace and quiet for a romantic honeymoon came across as awkward and for that I apologize.

Cell reception is very limited here at the Inn but most of guests find that to be a good thing as they can enjoy some peace & quiet! Verizon and US Cellular seem to work best, especially for sending and receiving texts. There is nearly always a cordless phone available in the guest hallway, except when it needs charging. We aren’t concerned about outgoing phone calls ever, as we have free long distance on that phone line. The judgment you cast in regards to my being concerned about outgoing calls seems out of character as my wife and I often make a point to tell our guests to feel free to use the house phone. It’s even listed in our room informational books that there is a house phone available for use. Perhaps your frustration with your cell phone carrier was misplaced. I do recall having to show your husband how to use the phone. I assumed incorrectly that everyone knew to dial a “1” before the area code and then the remaining seven digits on a land-line to get a call to go through. He was unhappy that the phone calls were not going through when trying to reach his mother with a New Jersey phone number. So I simply showed him that the phone worked when “1” was dialed.

I truly don’t understand the yelling comment. Perhaps it sounded like yelling when indeed it was a call that just came across as loud. (My ears were still partially blocked though I was on the mend, otherwise.) I was in the kitchen cooking or washing dishes and couldn’t get to your request without drying my hands or turning off the stove. Was it possibly a loudly called “just a minute” or “be right there”, perhaps misinterpreted?

Every bed and breakfast is not right for every traveler. And in the case, we were apparently not right for you as our quiet manner with our guests made you uncomfortable. I thought we got along well and that you were happy when you left, so I was quite shocked to read this review. A phrase I have learned in this business over the past 7 years in this business is “no good deed goes unpunished”, and it certainly rings true in this case.

We always endeavor to improve here at the Inn and use every comment, whether negative or positive, to build upon. We will continue to do our very best to meet our guests’ expectations.

Again, Molly & Brian, please accept my apologies for under-delivering hospitality.

Best wishes to you both,
Mike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Hixson, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

We were traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway ...in the fog...and were so pleased to have this wonderful, relaxing place to stay. Dora Jane is a superb hostess and breakfast was delicious. Our room was large, more than comfortable and we were thrilled to have wifi and satellite tv. The front porch rocking chairs are so inviting and "Cat" is friendly and loves attention. There are no negatives about this beautiful inn. Just wish there was a "dinner" place close by. We were tired of driving in the fog only to have to drive many miles for something to eat.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvia G
Dear Sylvia,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Inn, but am so sorry that you didn't get to see the beautiful vistas from the Parkway because of the foggy weather. Sure hope you will return again some day to experience our beautiful area in better weather.

All my best,
Dora Jane
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We went to the Inn for our anniversary and were welcomed by Mike who showed us around the gorgeous 100+ year old inn. The innkeepers, Dora Jane and Mike, had been more than helpful with my husbands little surprises for me. Our room was wonderful. The bed was very comfortable, furnished with antique furniture. The 2nd floor porch was right outside of our room and had lots of comfy chairs and a glider to relax in. Dora Jane prepares a 4 course breakfast, served on beautiful antique china. She's self taught, but you would think she was a classicly trained gourmet chef. The only negative I would say about breakfast is that they serve flavored coffee. I don't really like flavored coffee and regular coffee was not offered. There are lots of places to rest and relax at the inn. Hearing the babbling brook, it beckons you to come and sit in one of the adirondack chairs and "sit a spell". As it says on the website, the linens are do die for - we even purchased a set. We met a couple who had been married at the inn a year before and used the elopement package the inn offered. They loved the inn so much that they came back for their 1st anniversary. If you stay here, keep in mind that there are not many stores or restaurants nearby, so planning your day is very important. The lovely town of Floyd is the closest location to find food.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Rose Inn for our son's wedding. Thanks to Mike and Dora Jane for a wonderfully memorable occasion! Lovely, lovely people attending to everyone's needs. We were so very blessed to have had them take care of us. So very attentive to the smallest of details. I wish we could have had more time to spend with them at the Inn. I will never forget my stay at Mountain Rose Inn! Thank you so very much, Mike and Dora Jane.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Parlin, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

We spent two nights at this beautiful inn and found it first class in every respect. The inn is set in a hidden meadow in the Blue Ridge Mountains with picturesque grounds and a flowing stream. The rooms are gorgeous and the inn keepers Dora Jane and Mike were gracious and attentive, southern hospitality at its best. At night they lit a fire pit alongside the stream and joined the guests sitting around the fire engaged in conversation. A magical evening! After a quiet and restful night we were treated to a breakfast to die for, and never wanted to leave the breakfast room. Overall the inn, grounds, and hosts were so perfect that you never need to leave the property. Just bring some books, settle into a chair on the porch, and try not to let the hummingbirds disturb your attention.

We have stayed in dozens of B&Bs around the world, seeking them out whenever we travel, and the Mountain Rose Inn ranks right up at the top. We look forward to our next stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Kent, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

The Mountain Rose Inn has become part of our yearly vacation. The area (Blue Ridge Mountains) is beautiful and the Inn is charming. We visit area wineries and historic landmarks and also do a little shopping while staying at the MRI. The entire package which includes a unique and beautiful room, a fantastic gourmet breakfast, and two of the nicest and hospitable innkeepers you could ever dream of is a bargain and well worth the price. If you are planning a vacation or visit to the area we would highly recommend that you stay at the Inn. We are planning on returning next year.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jackers346
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here on July 4, on the way to Tennessee for a wedding. First of all, the location of the inn is absolutely beautiful, albeit a bit isolated (expect to drive 15-20 minutes to get anywhere and be warned that there are not a ton of dining options, though this might have been because it was a holiday and most places were closed. We ate at a Mexican place in Stuart that was fine, but typical food). If you want to get away from it all, this is a great place. The property sits on a creek and is very picturesque. We were unlucky to have arrived during the midst of a terrible heat wave, so instead of it being refreshingly cool and breezy, it was hot and humid, which isn't so great when you have to lug all your bags up the narrow stairs in the house.

Now to the first problem...we asked for a room key to lock our door (it wasn't offered). We locked the door as we were bringing in luggage and when we came back, the door wouldn't open. We fiddled with it for awhile and finally had to get a handyman/neighbor down the road to come fix it. Turns out, people don't usually lock their doors here - which is fine - but the option should be made available to people such as us who had expensive belongings. And being an old house, the door had gotten stuck and simply wouldn't lock properly. This was annoying, but what could you do?

Another issue was the temperature. As I mentioned before, it was uncommonly warm - and that might have been why this was a problem. There was no individual temperature control, only a central AC that was programmed from downstairs, and the room was quite warm. There was a fan in the room, but it was tiny and incredibly noisy, which made sleeping almost impossible. I would recommend offering larger fans to guests (and replacing the old, rattle-y one in our room) for future heat waves.

We didn't feel like we got to know the innkeepers, as they weren't there when we arrived and we only saw them briefly the next morning. From all accounts I've read, they are very nice, and seemed to be in our interaction with them, but no one asked us how our stay was or if we had any issues.

Now, the goods: the breakfast was OUTSTANDING. Strawberry yogurt parfaits, ham and egg cups with cheddar, and some sort of peach pastry. Really, it was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. The room was well-appointed and I think we would have been very comfortable had the temperature been adjusted. There is a pool on the property, which is a nice touch, and they provide towels for you on the pool deck.

Overall, I think if our issues had been addressed, this would have been a very nice experience. Unfortunately, the two mishaps we had made it so that we were rather dissatisfied with the money spent for what we received.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lhw13
Mountain-Rose, Manager at Mountain Rose Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear lhw13,

Thanks so much for noting the positives of your stay here with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast, and that the beauty of the Inn and the property were not completely lost in the heat wave that had blanketed the entire East coast.

We sincerely regret that you did not feel comfortable speaking with our staff here at the Inn. We have a policy that any complaint (small or big) is an opportunity to deliver award-winning service to our guests. And in that spirit, we provide many ways for our guests to let us know of problems. An innkeeper is always on duty to address problems immediately. Doorbells that ring the Inn’s office and personal quarters 24/7 are located on the check-in table. Our cell phone numbers are listed right by the guest phone. There are comment cards in every room directory in case guests are shy about mentioning a problem, and a space is provided on the check-out form for guests to comment on any maintenance issues or other items that we as a staff can improve on. Unfortunately, we have found no record of any complaint until this review posting, and so we were not able to address the issues while you were here or to apologize as you were checking out. Our staff takes our jobs here at the Inn seriously, and we want to deliver our very best, every time, to every guest. To that end, we will make an even greater effort of questioning our guests about their comfort and needs while they are with us.

We also regret that you weren’t able to experience the majority of our area’s excellent restaurants since they may have been closed for Independence Day. Being innkeepers of a rurally located property, we believe that we are truly blessed to have as many fantastic dining options as we do all within just 20 minutes of the Inn.

We do apologize for not being available to spend more time with you than we did during your stay. Our conversation over breakfast just wasn’t quite long enough. It was interesting to hear about your plans for your stay in TN. Hope that we can go to the Grand Ol’ Opry some day as it is on our list of great places to experience also!

Just to explain a little more - our church holds an annual picnic and fireworks to celebrate the Fourth. It’s a delightful event, and one that we had invited all our guests to attend with us. We left directions for you in case you wanted to join us. For years, we have missed all or part of this event because of work obligations here at the Inn. So this year, we asked our assistant innkeeper, who was willing to work on the holiday, to be on duty so that we could have the evening off.

In our 7 years as innkeepers, this was the first deadbolt jam for us – and what a jam apparently! We know that our assistant immediately called our friend who helps at the Inn on occasion to come over to help un-jam the door, but we are so sorry this happened to you. He rushed over so quickly that he forgot to bring any tools, but thankfully, he was able to get the door open for you with the key itself. Our house was built in 1901, and the Inn's 35 wood doors are original, not styrofoam filled. (In fact, nearly everything about the house is original – including the stairs so they are not quite as wide as modern day stairways.) When heat and humidity come to roost in the valley, the wood doors expand. Due to the extreme heat passing through that week, the door in your room had apparently expanded more than usual, causing the dead bolt to jam when you locked it with the key that our assistant had given you. In cooler weather, of course, the doors constrict and then they swing and lock just fine. It is one of the joys of maintaining this man-made treasure! Since your stay, the wood around the dead-bolt has been sanded a bit so that our future summer-time guests will not have this difficulty when they lock the door.

One issue that we would like to clarify is that we do indeed lock doors around here, though we are blessed to live a safe community where crime is not an issue. Obviously, it would be a security issue if we did not lock the doors. All the exterior doors of the Inn are secured, and there is a front-door keypad with a combination given only to our guests. All of the room doors have two deadbolts that guests can use to secure their rooms.

We did a full inspection of your room after reading this review as this was only time that we had heard of a temperature issue in that room. The thermostat, located up stairs, controls the upstairs living quarters and it is a new 16 SEER, 5-ton unit that delivers plenty of cool air. (A separate 5-ton unit controls the down stairs.) We found that a previous guests had nearly closed one of the air-conditioning vents in your room restricting the airflow, causing the room to be a little warmer than the others.  We are still shaking our heads over this because these vents are located in the Inn’s 9+ foot high ceilings, and we are not sure how they managed to close this vent. We have opened the vent and oiled the fan so that future guests will be comfortable.

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties that you had during your stay with us, and regret that we weren’t able to address these issues while you were with us.

All our best in your future travels,
Mike & Dora Jane Barwick
Innkeepers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolwine
Hampton Inn Martinsville
#1 of 6 in Christiansburg
Mountain Song Inn
Mountain Song Inn
#1 of 2 in Willis

Been to Mountain Rose Inn? Share your experiences!