“Good hotel good price”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Wytheville
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I travel thru Wytheville about once a year, usually in July on my way to a northern vacation. It is about ten hour drive and I'm ready to stop. The hotel is just a couple of turns off the interstate with a number of places to eat within a 1 mile radius. Rooms are comfortable with great beds. I try and get a handicap room because the showers are walk
in. Why hotels don't have more rooms with walk in showers is a mystery. Most people I know haven't used a bathtub in years.

The cookies are always good at Country Inn and a nice little extra. My only minor suggestions are to "lose the ham bits" at breakfast and shampoo the carpets and scrub the bathroom tiles a bit harder.

Friendly staff.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Belinda B, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

I am so very pleased to see that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We will take your comments into consideration about changing our breakfast items, we always appreciate our repeat guest taking the time share wonderful comments with us. We hope to see you again the next time you come stay with us!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The lady checking us in was the best person we have encountered in awhile. We travel often and stay with many chains and she was personable, friendly, helpful and above all, she had a smile on her face. For that, I am grateful and will continue to patronize their chain. We traveled from Baton Rouge to Pennsylvania and she was a godsend. They had a FREE rollaway waiting in our room as we requested and we settled in. Room was spacious and served our purpose for the night, pool is small, but refreshing, breakfast was good but I will not forget her and how friendly she was. Stay here and enjoy their hospitality because it does not happen often. Writing this from another chain of hotels on our way home and regretting every minute of it. I wish I had done more research, but after driving 600 miles with 2 children, we just settled for a hotel that was near when we were tired of driving. Drive a few miles more and stay at the Country Inn in Wytheville.

Room Tip: best customer service around!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Belinda B, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our hotel! The girl that was working the night of your stay has been informed of the wonderful comments you shared about her but also our hotel as a whole. We are always full of hospitality trying to make very guests' stay here just like their home away from home.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed there for one night on our return 9 hour drive from Myrtle Beach. Our room was great, super clean, great suite with a sofa bed for the kids. However, we were super disappointed with the breakfast on offer. There was no oatmeal (even though there was a big pot advertising Quaker's Oat), no fruit, specifically bananas, the only fruit was super bruised and rotten looking and only a handful of fruit loops left. Now this wouldn't bother me but my young toddlers were hungry and this is a few of the things they like to eat. The lady working there was super rude and blunt with us when we asked if they had more of anything. The utensils for picking up the toast and bagels were covered in a sticky mess and didn't look like they'd been cleaned in at least week. After seeing this it put me off eating and the rudeness of the lady working in the breakfast kitchen wasn't appreciated either. I would recommend staying here if you just need a room as it was great but if you want a nice breakfast I'd go someplace else. This would definitely make me think twice about staying here again, when i know i can stay in an equally priced hotel and get a better breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Belinda B, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I am so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and our many wonderful ammenities. I am also very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your breakfast during your stay. I have spoken with our breakfast attendants and we have new staff working our breakfast area. We hope that you will come stay with us again and enjoy our improved breakfast!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed overnight on the road from Ohio to North Carolina. Hoping to start the first night of our vacation in a comfy, quiet hotel and have a nice breakfast in the morning. Can't beat the price and perfectly right in the middle of our trip. Greeted by guy who was eating his dinner when we came to check in - obviously not too happy he was interrupted by guests who needed to check in. Reserved double queens (four people in our family), got room with a king...um? he was able to switch it so no problem. Room - spacious, bed and bedding comfortable. Best part. Bathroom had black hair in the sink upon arrival, a little beat up in there as well (simple painting and cosmetic repairs) Hubby and daughter went to swim after dinner - so much chlorine and chemicals in the pool, yet the entire area was dirty and needed scrubbed - both of them came back and had issues with their eyes until the next evening - itchy, watering, etc. SO noisy in the hallway - you can hear every word - I am a patient person so between that, door slamming from other guests constantly and whomever was upstairs from us stomping loudly for about 4 hours straight - I didn't report it - a Friday night - got quiet by 11pm-midnight or so. Free breakfast is a great perk when travelling - such a limited amount of time for breakfast - 3 hours (6:30 am - 9:30am ) for such a big hotel - no room to sit, constant struggle to get any food, no dishes at some point, and messy---no one there cleaning up, attending to the stations or guests, just a disaster. People bumping into each other as the area is so small - very limited seating. People heading out into the lobby and eating at the couches out there (also a small area so it didn't work too well) Would I stay there again? Um no.....we actually had reservations for the weekend coming home from North Carolina and I cancelled them and moved to a different city entirely and hotel chain. Very disappointed in the service we received and doubt we will go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank barefootlady1324
Belinda B, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

I am very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can assure you that our chemical levels in the pool are checked daily and are always up standard to make sure that it is safe for all guests to swim in. The issues you were having with noise in your room certainly does make it difficult to enjoy your stay but could have been avoided if it had been brought to our attention as we would have been very happy to move you to a better room with less noise. We are currently working on getting ready to start our rennovations and we are looking to expand our breakfast area.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here on our way home to upstate NY. The hotel was very nice with a very large room and comfortable bed. The bathroom was slightly shabby with some wallpaper ripped off and the hole in the wall for the shower pipe showing. When we asked for directions to the Log House Restaurant, the desk clerk was kind of rude, basically saying if we stop talking, he will give us the directions. As another review stated, it did look like a chair or recliner was missing in the room. We have stayed at many Country Inn's before and there is always a chair or recliner to sit in. We skipped breakfast as we wanted an early start but they offered the same breakfast as always.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

I am very sorry to hear that you were not completely happy with your stay at our hotel. We are getting ready to go under rennovations to repair the small amount of wear that our hotel shows in some of the rooms. I have spoken with the clerk that worked the night of your stay and I ensure you that a similar situation will not occur again in the future in that regards. Some of our rooms have a large space (as all Country Inn and Suites are all set up a bit differently than the last) for cribs or rollaway beds for a family that needs extra space.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was staying at a mountain cabin that had a hornet infestation and I just couldn't stay two more days hoping their maintenance could fix it. I was pretty disappointed at my week's vacation being cut short, but figured at least the drive from NC to OH would be nice...until the thunderstorm hit and all that greasy water hit my windshield. I pulled off in Wytheville not in the most cheerful mood considering all that had transpired to wait until dawn to drive again.

Despite I wasn't the most cheerful person, the front desk lady was really cheery and sweet without being fake. I mentioned I was hungry and she offered to show me where I could grab a bite to eat. When I explained I just needed a snack, she was undaunted and told me about the snack machine. On the way to the snack machine, I saw the nice cookies - perfect.

I started to ask for a quiet room away from the highway. She said either side really gets the same amount of highway noise, but she'd already put me on the top floor, figuring the quietest location the hotel had to offer would be something I'd like - it was.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is I wish it were built in a direction where at least half the hotel is not facing the highway instead of democratically given all rooms equal exposure. But for an unexpected stop on a crummy night, I have to say the front desk lady's cheer and professionalism really saved the day; great service like that is rare these days!

Room Tip: All rooms apparently have equal exposure to the interstate. The studio king rooms are great.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

We are so pleased to see that after having a difficult time with the beginning of your vacation that we were able to give you a positive experience with us!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here May 10, 2014 en route to Gatlinburg, TN from Upstate NY. Very easy on/off from I-81/I-77. Very friendly, helpful staff and is located in a safe area. Plenty of other name hotels around as well. Arrived later at night so did not have chance to really check out surrounding area but did eat at Sagebrush Steakhouse short distance from hotel and it was WONDERFUL!! Plenty of people were also having pizzas delivered that night so there is pizza delivery available. Booked a two queen bed room which had a microwave/mini fridge. Standard bathroom with shower/tub combo and sink. Room was large. There did appear to be a sofa or chair missing as there was a large open space towards the window but we were traveling with a toddler so more room to run and to us this was a bonus. Flat screen tv. Chair/desk. Very clean. Quiet area. Indoor pool/jacuzzi and exercise room. There are large rocking chairs at the main entrance and as we had a lovely night out it was nice to relax outside awhile!!! :-) Standard free breakfast in the am as you would expect with juice/coffee/pastries/cereals/etc. Also, in the evening there are cookies in the lobby and always coffee and fresh fruit!!! :-) Would highly recommend if looking for a safe, comfortable, clean easy on/off from Interstate. Would def stay here again if needing a one night stop over. :-)

Room Tip: We saved almost $30 making an advance purchase rate reservation. Take note....absolutely NO changes...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Belinda B, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Wytheville, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share some very wonderful comments about your recent stay with us. We are very pleased that you enjoyed all of our wonderful ammenities from our rocking chairs to our freshly baked delicious cookies. We hope to see you all again when your travels bring you through the Wytheville area!