“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Nola

Cafe Nola
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I said "good," not great. Four of us met for brunch. Three of us had the French toast and it was "ok" "good" and "great" for an average of good. I wished I'd ordered the crab eggs benedict as I did on my visit about a year ago. Will go back, but I'd still like to find a local brunch to rave about.

Dallas, Texas
“Busy Sunday Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We came at just after noon on a Sunday and the restaurant was very crowded. We were able to be seated right away at a lovely table for two next to a window overlooking the patio.
We ordered the small Beet salad, with fried Polenta and walnuts. It was very good. If it had goat cheese it would have been great!
I had the King Salmon special with scrambled eggs with peppers and pan grilled small new potatoes. It was the best salmon I have ever had. So tasty! Hot, sweet citrus glaze and tender fish.

My husband had the turkey burger, which was tasty but a bit on the dry side. The truffle fries were greasy and soggy - even though they had good flavor.

Service was excellent. Our server had a great personality. All in all, it was a good meal. Could have been great.

1 Thank Georgia L
Seattle Area
“Better than average, but hard to rate very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Cafe Nola is a pretty good restaurant. Not great, but pretty good. We avoided it for years as the menu was predictable, and so were the crowds. Lots of tourists seem to find this place, even though it had not been as good as it was early one.

We have been back twice in the past month for brunch. Service was good, food well prepared. Seems the menu has been tweaked so that some more imagination is on display. There are other newer and more inventive restaurants luring locals and tourists on Bainbridge, so I imagine that has resharpened their focus. It is a busy place as tourists are flocking into Bainbridge Island with the sunny weather, but still worth considering.

The main draw back to this restaurant is that it seems to draw a number of large parties for lunch. They seem to handle it well, but it sure makes for a noisy place to eat.

1 Thank 2Journeyfolks
Bellevue, Washington
“The outside sign is missing - perhaps for a reason”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

As a former Bainbridge Island resident for over twenty years, I have had many occasions to dine at Cafe Nola over the years. Sadly, it has gone downhill. Visiting the island this past weekend, we made reservations for a group of seven. We arrived on time, and were told it would be a twenty minute wait for the table we had reserved, because the customers seated there "were being really slow". We came back twenty minutes later and the table was still not available. We instead sat outside, which was pleasant, but the service was beyond terrible. There was a long wait just to get menus and water, then to take the order and finally to get the food. Prices are very high for the portions and quality of the food. The waiter forgot our appetizer completely, and then when reminded of this after we had finished our entrees, said he would get the appetizer so we could have it as a savory dessert (the dates wrapped in bacon). Again, it was a very long wait to get the appetizer, and then another long wait for the bill, and the processing of the payment.

While the salads were freshly made, there was a large piece of lettuce roots with dirt on one serving. I showed this to the person clearing the table and she just shrugged. No adjustments on the bill for anything - the extremely late appetizer or the dirt and roots in the salad. And of course with the size of our group there was an automatic 20% gratuity. I don't know if the delays came from the kitchen or the server, but the restaurant was not hugely busy.

It is really sad to see how far this restaurant has fallen. I have many happy memories of meals here over the years, but this was the last time we will go there.

2 Thank bargain_hunter46
Half Moon Bay, California
“Perfect After Lots of Walking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I happened on this place after walking on the Main Street after the ferry ride from Seattle. Has outdoor seating but I felt like a seat inside and enjoyed looking over an interesting menu and settled on a delicious sandwich and their fries. Great spices and interesting flavors. Pleasant place. I enjoyed the service, and the server gave did a nice wine pairing with my choice at my request.

• Visited March 2014