“Terrific Dinner”

Price range: US$0 - US$40
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The staff is so welcoming and professional. The food is outstanding!
Everything very creative and fresh. The salmon was perfect. Hope to return soon.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

This sweet busy but still intimate restaurant was a highlight of our visit to Bainbridge Island!

We were visiting the island (from Seattle) and found ourselves with a late reservation but arrived an hour early just in case someone didn't show. They found our party of 4 a place at the bar where our evening of pleasure began.

The bartender was very busy but still very attentive. We ordered 2 appetizers. The cheese was not a good sharing dish because it was pretty small. We each got a tiny bit. But, the most amazing dish that we all loved was the painted hills beef carpaccio*, aioli, truffle salt, arugula, parmigiano. Oh my goodness, the flavors of the thinly sliced beef were perfection. One of us even ordered it again for a main course once we were seated for dinner!

Two of us enjoyed their salmon dish and I absolutely loved the pasta! Fresh, local, great parings of flavors, textures. An absolutely, unforgettable evening. We will return...but call much earlier for a reservation!

1  Thank Jen G
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Four Swallows is by far consistently the best restaurant on Bainbridge. Their only weakness is they do not market themselves; and perhaps don't feel the need to do so; so they don't usually get the "best restaurant" recommendation or often even a mention from Seattle magazines.
The food is always the very freshest available; interesting pairings and always a beautiful presentation. The Neah Bay salmon is outstanding! And I can't resist the spicy prawns when they are featured as an appetizer. The restaurant never disappoints. The restaurant has a charming "quintessential Bainbridge" vibe and is located in an older quaint home that exudes intimacy and casual elegance. The wait staff are friendly, informed and knowledgeable about both the menu and extensive wine list. The bar area is intimate and the perfect spot for a unique house special cocktail.

1  Thank islandgal88
Reviewed 28 January 2014

How an ice cream stand gets on a Trip Advisor ‘restaurant’ list- let alone atop it- is beyond me, but make no mistake, The Four Swallows, currently in the number two position, is far and away the best restaurant on Bainbridge Island.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a demanding diner, and there are only 12 restaurants amongst my 70+ reviews that I’ve given Trip Advisor’s top rating, five stars. In truth, I’d have used 4.5 stars for seven of those restaurants (That’s Amore, Sogno di Vino, McMillan’s, Backdoor Kitchen, Il Fornaio, Haruko’s, Pink Door) had that rating been available, leaving only five restaurants (Il Terrazzo, Maximilien, Dampfschiff, Rover’s, and Andina) with a five star rating. Make that six, because The Four Swallows is absolutely top notch.

Impeccably prepared food; informed, unobtrusive service; and pleasant, relaxing surroundings are all things that I expect in a five star restaurant, and Four Swallows delivers on all counts. The restaurant is located just north of Winslow in a farmhouse that dates back to 1889, and the dining area is divided into a number of small rooms, each containing several tastefully set tables. There is also a wine bar with a few booths at the back of the restaurant, but this area can get noisy, so for a quiet dining experience, definitely choose a table.

Once seated, you will notice the casual elegance of the place; think Rover’s gone rustic. Everything is warm and understated; and the whole place feels comfortable and familiar. Our waiter, whom I believe was one of the owners, knew both the menu and the wine list inside out, and he made us feel like old friends come to his home for dinner. Lovely.

The menu is inventive, with a large selection of intriguing starters, and a variety of main courses to please every palate. My Muscovy duck breast with pickled rhubarb and spaetzle was intensely flavoured and tender, by far the best duck entrée I’ve had in many years. My companion’s beef tenderloin was melt-in-your-mouth delicious and cooked to perfection. After dessert and port to finish, we left The Four Swallows immensely satisfied, and looking forward to our next visit.

The Four Swallows is an upscale restaurant done right- pleasant surroundings, great service, impeccable food, all for a reasonable price. It’s a formula that would work anywhere, even in ultra-competitive Seattle, so it’s no wonder The Four Swallows is widely considered the best restaurant on Bainbridge Island. Treat yourself to a first-class dining experience in North Kitsap!

2  Thank sir_keith_26
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We had the duck breast and then desert that was an Italian creme caramel with sea salt. Everything tasted just delicious. Our server was attentive, even though it was a busy night. The food was outstanding. If they had a cookbook of their specialties I would buy it in a moment. I recommend this restaurant most enthusiastically.