Gelarto Italian Ice Cream and Global Arts
Price range: US$3 - US$5
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a gelateria and fair-trade retailer serving artisan gelato, which is handcrafted from the finest ingredients. To complement our world-class gelato, we offer carefully-selected local artworks and fair trade handicrafts that will appeal to conscientious consumers and the communities they touch, both at home and around the world. Our aim is to provide an enriching experience that leaves customers satisfied in knowing they have made the world a little bit better through their purchases.
Seattle, WA
“Gak”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I'm a certified FREAK for frozen desserts. For over two decades, I kept a notebook with notes on every ice cream, sorbet, and gelato place I visited, as long as they served their own stuff. When I stopped doing that, I had almost 300 listings. So, I have a little history with the frozen goods.

I went into Gelarto on Bainbridge because my granddaughters wanted some. I knew nothing about the place at all. I got the girls and my wife theirs and saw a flavor called Caramel & Figs. Sounded good. I got a medium cup.

The first shocker was that these four bowls of gelato racked up a bill for TWENTY-SEVEN dollars, by a MILE the most I've ever paid for a frozen dessert. Then I tasted the stuff...

This was - also by a mile or MANY miles - the single nastiest, most poorly-made, bland, unimaginative bowl of ANYTHING that I have ever put into my face. Nothing else even comes close. In making ice cream, which I have now done for about forty years, stabilizers are often used to give the finished product a creaminess that it may not otherwise have. I don't know if the Ballard company that makes Gelarto's products, D'ambrosia Gelato, uses Xanthan gum, guar gum, carrageenan, or another natural stabilizer or whether it's just insanely badly made. What I do know is that this stuff coated the inside of my mouth with what felt very much like industrial adhesive. I was literally struggling to get my lips unstuck from my teeth. After we left, I used an entire bottle of water to get the residue of it mostly (not completely. That took over two hours) out of my mouth. Since the stuff stayed on my palate like that, it developed a horrid aftertaste that got worse and worse as it lingered. I eventually tried scouring my mouth with a sparkling soda but the residue even resisted that.

Here's the really sad part: Gelarto sits less than 400 feet from one of the best ice cream shops I have ever found in an entire lifetime of Frozen Dessert Obsession, the sublime Mora Iced Creamery. If we had just gone there, we'd have gotten truly heavenly ice cream, a far better range of flavors, better service, and would have paid - and this is not an estimate; I checked on it - $7.18 less.

I urge anybody who's thinking of visiting this ridiculous place to ask for a taste before you sign the loan papers to buy your party's gelato. It won't take more than a bite. In fairness, I don't know if all the flavors they sell are this bad but the four I tasted all showed the same problem and tasted very flat and dull. Bad gelato, bad service, BAD value

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank ThePourFool

Chattanooga, Tennessee
“What a refreshing treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

While we were on a brief day visit to the island, we stopped in to see the offerings. The owner was so gracious that we made room in our day to stop by after lunch to sample his lemon sorbet. Wonderful!

Visited June 2014
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“YUM!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had the salted caramel and the espresso chip. It was so good!! The staff was super friendly and the bathroom which was outside in another area was very clean. If you are looking for a quick and yummy treat this is the place to stop.

• Visited June 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Superb gelato”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I hate to share this little gem because it is a local secret. This place is fantastic, a bit off the beaten path, and a great price for top quality.

• Visited May 2014
New Jersey
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Had tiramisu gelato here with my husband a couple of weeks ago on a visit to Bainbridge Island. The shop was a very clean and interesting place and the owner was very friendly but the gelato was nothing special. We had had amazingly delicious tiramisu gelato the previous night in Seattle and this was a big disappointment. Looking at the other reviews I have to wonder if we just hit an off batch.

• Visited June 2014