“I have to pass on an old favorite”

Residence Inn Seattle Bellevue
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Bellevue
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is an update from my Oct 2011 review.

I’ve stayed at this Residence Inn dozens of times over the years and can only equate it to that comfy pair of old shoes – clean, comfortable, older but you know what you get and will be happy. However after a few recent visits I’ve come to the conclusion it’s time to pass on those old pair of shoes.

I like Residence Inn for all the amenities but this property shows its age and even after renovations, it’s age is still showing. After a few visits recently I think there are better options in the area than what was a favorite of mine. Recent issues include older bed mattress that wasn’t the most comfortable, security locks broken and hanging off main door, bathroom door loose on hinges and a strong odor of cleaning/sanitizing products. The smell of cleaning products has been something I’ve noticed several times before and while the room is clean I don’t want to smell bleach like smell each time I enter the room. Issues were raised to staff and they were friendly about them but not sure I should have to tell them about this stuff it should be obvious.

I think this property may be better for a long term stays where one may overlook some of these little issues since the place has kitchen but not something I want to deal with for a shorter business trip. Right next door there are 2 other Marriott’s – Fairfield and Courtyard. I’ve changed to use the Courtyard as my regular. Other options include another Residence Inn in Redmond Town Center as well as a full Marriott next to it.

Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

We thank you for your great feedback and I want to also let you know that we will be renovating to include brand new beds and adding wireless internet throughout the hotel by the end of 2012. We are also upgrading our exterior buildings on property and we hope that you will return to see the finished product in the near future.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you in the future and appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott family.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Everything in good condition. Buffet good. Everyone is friendly. Good location to shopping, food amd highway access. Only thing is it was a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2012
ResInnSeattleBellevu, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle Bellevue, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

We want to thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Marriott Seattle/Bellevue and appreciate your great feedback.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

We chose this hotel for our family visit to Seattle. Complimentary breakfast was above average in quality and selection. Room was comfortable, clean, cozy and tastefully decorated. Located near the highway, quick access to down town Bellevue and other near by attractions. I didn't care for paying for the nightly parking and 75 cent phone call charges but overall it was a great stay. If it wasn't for this extra up charges I would stay again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2012

the room was spacious, kitchen was adequate, bed was made to perfection, bathrooms was
clean, towels was plentiful, tv converter had batteries in it, staff was always smiling, beer was cold and in stock, front desk was the best!
will recommend RESIDENCE INN MARRIOT SEATTLE BELLEVUE and
Mr. Jim Larson to absolutely everyone. you're the best!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

I want to thank you for the great comments and we take great pride in making sure all our guests feel like the Residence Inn Marriott Seattle/Bellevue is their second home. We hope you will visit us again soon and it was great getting to know you and your team.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

I just completed a one night stay at the Residence Inn in Bellevue. There are not one, not two but three separate and distinct Marriott properties (a Fairfield, a Courtyard and a Residence Inn) next to each other, all in the same location on the outskirts of Bellevue.

Because of the proximity to the Microsoft campus, I believe a great majority of the business must be Microsoft-related. I actually stayed in the Fairfield property a number of years ago when I interviewed as a candidate at Microsoft. But back then, I always wanted to stay at the Residence Inn. And now I have, and here are the things to say about it.

First off, out of the three Marriott properties next to each other, I think this one is definitely the desirable location to stay. This triangle shaped property is set up almost like a condominium complex, with eight units (or guest rooms) per building. As other people have noted, the buildings are built on kind of a hill slope, so there are steps and stairs everywhere (i.e. not too good for people with mobility issues). I'm certain there must be some handicapped or accessible rooms somewhere here but I can't imagine which particular units they are on the property map. If you don't have mobility issues, I actually liked the stairs and wooden walkways (or boardwalks?) between some of the buildings. It makes the grounds feel bigger than it really is.

The room I stayed in was nicely sized… with a couch and a coffee table in front of a fireplace. A kitchen with a bar table and a couple chairs that reach up to the table. A microwave and a coffee maker and a full size refrigerator, plus cooking and serving utensils, perfect for those extended stays when you really don't have the time or energy to go out and hunt & gather dinner at the local restaurants (I noticed there was also a restaurant delivery catalog in the room, in case you don't want the formality of dining in but don't feel like cooking, either).

Complimentary internet access is available via wireless in the main building (I could listen to internet radio while in the fitness room) and wired ethernet within the rooms (Ethernet cables are on the work desks).

The bathroom opens up to a sink area with a big mirror and a hair dryer. Inside the W/C (or toilet area) you'll find the bathtub.

Breakfasts are surprisingly nice for being an extended stay kind of place. The hot items ranged from scrambled eggs to pancakes to potato cakes (i.e. hash browns) to sausages and bacon (with salsa and cheese ). Miso soup. Steamed rice. Oatmeal in a crock pot. Four different types of cereal. A waffle maker (yum!). Individual yogurt cups and even yogurt mixed with berries and granola. Juices and soft drinks, even (too bad they turned off the soda machine after breakfast hours). Looking at other reviews, I wish I could have joined in on the evening appetizer reception, but they only happen certain days per week.

Guest laundry can be found in the main building where the reception and breakfast area is (I believe it's $1.25 per load). There's also a dinky fitness room, which has a grand total of exactly three pieces of equipment: an exercise bike, a treadmill and a cross trainer machine. There's an outdoor swimming pool and a volleyball/tennis/badminton/basketball court (a little small for a full blown basketball game, having just one net, but decent for practicing). There's also a jacuzzi-style hot tub next to the pool, but it was drained & empty during my visit.

Was this place worth the just over $200 per night my company paid? I think so… but then again, if I were staying in the Seattle area and on my personal dime, I'd probably be staying closer to (or within) Seattle. I can imagine most stays here are for business - related reasons.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MichaelInSF

We want to thank you for choosing the Residence Inn Marriott Seattle/Bellevue and taking the time in putting a note on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your great comments and hope you visit with us again soon. Please let us know if you need anything in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Mine was a one night stand versus the usual longer stay at a RI. Property is a little older with numerous stone and concrete walkways and steps to get to rooms. Rooms are not easily accessible with any mobility issues or if you are tired of carrying heavy bags.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the external part of the site for easier access.