“Great Hotel for the Price” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel 116, a Coast Hotel Bellevue
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Bellevue
Kansas
“Great Hotel for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2009

This was a great hotel for the price I paid ($65 a night). We arrived early for check in but the front desk offered to keep our luggage while we stepped out for lunch. Once we were back, they promptly gave us room keys and off we went. Sadly, the room was not cleaned. The sheets were inside out and there was a dirty wine class on the counter. I went back to the front desk and they were more than apologetic. I immediately got a new room. Before I even made it back to the old room to collect my luggage, the supervisor from housekeeping was knocking on the door to apologize for the mistake. Despite the error, I was very impressed with the level of attention the situation was given and quickly resolved.

The complimentary breakfast buffet & newspaper in the morning was great and convenient. They even had a fruit basket in the lobby that they replenished daily for their guests. The apples really came in handy for a quick snack while touring Seattle.

If there was one negative thing I would have to point out is the lack of knowledge the front desk seemed to have when it came to the tourist sites and attractions Seattle and its surrounding areas had to offer. I found myself relying more on brochures for any information. There was one brochure on Vancouver in the lobby and when I asked about the destination, the three people at the front desk knew nothing. We decided to make a day trip of it anyway. By the time we were ready to leave, there was new staff at the front desk so I thought I'd try my luck again. The two new folks still had no information. Five people working the front desk and not one knew anything about Vancouver. We ended up having a great time in Vancouver and I brought back plenty of brochures of the places we saw. I left them in the front lobby for someone else to use.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

I got this place for $55 on priceline. For what other places cost in the Seattle area, this place was pretty solid for the money.

Positives:
Pretty nice location
Continental Breakfast
Free parking
Good price
In-room fridge

Negatives:
Rooms have been refurbished but the bathrooms feel old.
Aesthetically, not the freshest looking place.
Pool looked past its prime.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I bid on the Coast Bellevue on Priceline -- $55 / night for two weekend nights. Usually you can get the Hilton or Sheraton in Bellevue for that price, but since it's summer I guess they're a bit busier. Those two hotels are definitely a better value for the money. As for the Coast, at $55 it's not bad -- for the same money through a non-Priceline site this time of year, you can't even get the Motel 6 up the road in Kirkland. The Coast is better than that. I wouldn't pay full price for it, though.

Since the previous reviewer stayed at the hotel, more of the refurbishment has been done. The lobby and public spaces look quite nice now, and it looks like they've put new beds & bedding in the rooms. This was a refurbishment, though, not a renovation. The fixtures are all still the same and still cheap, and they clearly cut corners wherever they could on the new furniture. Plastic, faux granite sink? Mildew in the tile grout? Loud monster air conditioning unit in the wall? Cheap white plastic trash bins and soap dishes that look like they came from Walmart? Check, check, check, and check.

Our room wasn't as bad as previous reviews have stated, probably because of the recent work. We did have a door on our closet. The bed was pretty comfortable. We were on the first floor, facing the pool, and didn't hear a lot of noise from I-405. There is a free wired internet connection (although no cable), and a weak free wireless connection. (They don't say there's a wireless connection, but we were able to pick one up.)

But, as previous reviews have mentioned, the scent of cigarette smoke does linger in the hotel. Like other lower-budget hotels in Seattle of the same vintage (60s / 70s / early 80s), they've tried unsuccessfully to mask the smell using some sort of chemical spray, so now what you get is a top note of chemicals with a base note of heavy cigarette smoke. The smell is still pretty noticeable in the hallways. It was noticeable in our room when we first arrived, too, because the air was stale, but once we opened a window and got some air moving I didn't notice the smell in the room as much. If you find the smell of cigarette smoke to be more than a minor annoyance, I wouldn't recommend staying at this hotel.

One last annoyance: the pygmy showerhead. I'm 5' 9", so fairly average in height, and the showerhead hit somewhere around my chin. I had to do limbo moves to wash my hair. This is a particular pet peeve of mine; I don't know why some hotels place their showerheads so low.

All in all, tolerable for a Priceline deal for a night or two, but I wouldn't book this hotel at full price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

Was going on a vacation to Seattle and too cheap to pay for a hotel in town, Bellevue seems nice yet a little too preppy for me. Chose the Coast as I have stayed in Coast hotels before. This one was ok. The staff seemed friendly enough, the elevator a little rickety and the room clean. The pool was quite cold, even though it was heated. Teh restaurant was awful. Took 10 mins to get seated, there was only 3 people in the restaurant. 10 more mins to get coffee and dinks then the food was cold. Better off walking across the parking lot to Denny's or driving to an IHOP. The hotel overall was functional but not a great family place. Good to stay AT but not to stay IN

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

This hotel is in dire need of an upgrade, and luckily that seemed to be what was occurring. There is some construction going on, and the pictures showing the proposed lobby look very attractive. I hope they are upgrading the rooms as well because they are in pretty bad shape.

Though the room appeared clean, it was worn and old. The mattress in the king bed divots on either side (where people lay) and was high in the middle. It also was springy so you sort of bounced around the bed. There is a sink that is oddly just inside the door, and a very outdated and worn bathroom. The grout on the tile was dark grey, but it appeared to have originally been light gray – so it is quite worn and/or dirty. There were only two bath towels and a few hand-towels. There were no drinking glasses in the room. The sink was faux-granite, and was clearly old. The edges of the mirror were discolored.

The A/C unit sits under the window and does not have a wall thermostat. The A/C is fairly loud. The carpet was worn but clean. There is a coffee maker on a small table with Starbuck’s Coffee. There is also free wired Internet.

My business companion asked for a wake-up call, which he never got. The alarm radio is cheap and old but it seems to work. There is a door-less closet where the ironing board and iron are, with a few hangars. The room is average sized.

At night there was a strange vacuum cleaner sound that kept me awake from about 1am to 4am (when I had to leave). Don’t know if it was coming from outside or within the hotel. I didn’t get a chance to try the breakfast nor the workout room. There is a small business center with a couple of desks, two PC’s (one with a printer) that have Internet Connections. But the room is sparsely decorated. It looked like a plain room that someone had thrown two cheap desks and old chairs into.

In summary, the hotel was generally clean but very dated and worn. They seem to be refurbishing the hotel so perhaps they will bring the rooms up to current day specs. The staff was cordial but not super friendly.

There are a number of other more upscale hotels nearby (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton) that I would think are in a little better shape.

• Liked — Not Much
  • Disliked — Quality of the Room, and Amenities
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Bellevue hotels

yakima wa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

The front desk seems to not really care if you are there or not.

The Continental breakfast is a joke. Nothing is set out.

You have to ask to be waited on.

I ordered a coffee to go (Did not have anything else and I was charged $2.12)

The next day was even worst.

I was told I could have anything off the menu with a five dollar discount applied.

I ordered coffee, orange juice and 3 strips of bacon.

I was told I would have pay full price for the bacon because I ordered the coffee and orange juice first.

The staff acted indifferent to all customers.

I will not stay here again.

• Disliked — staff were uncaring and sometimes rude
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Black Earth, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

The hotel is located close to Seattle with many nice restaurants nearby. We got a pretty big room with a king size bed on a Friday night for $90. We just arrived at Seattle after roughing it out for four nights on a lounge chair on the ferry from Alaska. Our backs were sore, our clothes needed washing. This place was a nice surprise for us, the bed was very comfortable. It has a self serve coin-op laundry room. Our room was located at the back facing the inside courtyard which was very quiet. No free breakfast though. The only problem was the smell of cigarette smoke filled the elevator and upper floor hallways, and we have to go through that to get to the Laundromat. However, our room and the ground floor did not smell at all.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — The smell of cigarette smoke in the elevator
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple