“Very disappointed”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Anacortes, Washington, United States
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We live about 40 miles from Bellingham and come to the city three to four times a month, so we are always on the lookout for outstanding dining experiences when we visit. We had heard so many good things about The Copper Hog so were looking forward to the experience last night (3/6).

Our initial impression was favorable. It is an attractive building with an outdoor patio for use in the summer. The interior features lots of dark wood paneling that are balanced with large windows facing the street and the patio. The tables are attractively set with butcher paper tablecloths and linen napkins.

The beer selection was decent but not outstanding, featuring several local craft brews on tap as well as some expensive ($30) premium bottled beers as well as wine and mixed drinks. We both chose from the draft selection and were not disappointed.

My wife ordered the fish and chips and I ordered the Reuben. Both came with greasy, soggy fries. The fish was a large, thick chunk of breaded fish rather than the more usual two or three smaller, individual pieces. I did not try the fish but was told it was adequate but not outstanding. The Reuben, on the other hand, was a disaster. It was a gloppy mess that disintegrated as I ate it.

The worst of our meal was yet to come, however. All evening I burped up grease from the cannonball in my stomach.

Surprisingly, they do not accept American Express.

Much as we wanted to like this establishment, we will be giving it a pass in future visits in favor of old standbys like Boundary Bay Brewing.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Warren K

Regina, Canada
“Great for brunch”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Had the heuvo ranchero (sp?) 2 fried eggs on a bed of black beans with 2 sausages and 3 tortillas. Some interesting sauces and some nice service.

Have had the eggs Benny previously and it was also very good.

Visited January 2014
Ingram, Texas
“Nice bar but food is not very good”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This seems to be a nice bar. The service is very good and they have a large selection of beers. The menu is limited, however, and the food is mediocre to not good.

• Visited February 2014
“Cool place”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We tried the Copper Hog the other night as we had a coupon. I am very glad that we went. Very cool vibe in the restaurant. Service was ok. We went with friends and our young daughter. There is a good children's menu with kid friendly food. The main menu is very. Imaginative. The desserts sounded awesome too bad I didn't have room to try them. Portions are good. We will be going back!

Visited December 2013
Mount Vernon, Washington
“My horrible birthday dinner”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

There is bad service and there is what we had on my 40th birthday at the Copper Hog! The waiter was annoyed from the get go rolling his eyes crossing his arms and walking away in the middle of one my friends order. I ordered a Hot buttered rum on this 17 degree evening. It was cold but I was ready to have some drinks on my birthday so I drank it. Was hoping to order another drink but our waiter did not come back for another half hour. When he finally cam back to get our food ordered we asked him for separate checks, eyes rolled again. We had 12 people in our party ready to celebrate. The food came about 40 minutes after we ordered no offer for more drinks? Food came out cold and with the appetizers. We were not offered another drink the entire night then when one check came our waiter told us we could separate the check ourselves! Wow! Then I mentioned we would have been happy to order more drinks had it been offered. He sighed another eye roll and walked away. I will not go back here as I cannot get that night back we ended up at Bob's burger down the road at the bar there, got great service and it was twice as busy at this establishment. I try to support local places but hard when you are treated like this.

• Visited December 2013