“First Visit at New Location”
Review of El Agave

El Agave
Ranked #75 of 456 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We have dined several times at El Agave's main Bellingham location with each being an excellent experience. The great news is they have opened a new second location at Sudden Valley outside of town. The view is excellent.
The service remains price range superb; inquires about a sauce and samples were brought to the table as an example. Want a larger bowl or seperate bowls for salsa, no problem with a smile.
Flavors are distinct, complex, and consistent. Menu is varied, many options, unique offerings, and has always arrived hot. Bar service is quite good.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

As a student at the University I have a coupon for buy one, get one entree. You can't beat that! So I eat here often because of the great prices. The food is your typical mexican diner food. Good, but nothing extraordinary.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We'd been hearing good things about El Agave but had a decidedly mixed experience when we ate there. At first glance, the menu looks pretty typical (which isn't a positive thing, as generic Mexican food is all too common and not terribly authentic), but there are some interesting gems to be found. Chips w/2 kinds of salsa were fresh and warm, but charging $3.50 for a serving of very average guacamole dip seemed pricey. The enchilada and chili relleno combo was just "okay," not noteworthy. There are a couple of places in town that have great rellenos, but this isn't one of them. The fish tacos were horrible: greasy, soggy, the fish covered in a pasty and heavy batter. My partner was dosing on pepto w/in an hour after eating only 1 of the 3 on the plate and was up most of the night. On the other hand, I had a Tilapia Frita which was very good. I was apprehensive when it came out, as it looked like it might have been overcooked; but it was done perfectly. Very fresh, crispy on the outside and done inside. No gastric issues for me. The service was very fast and friendly, but the food was a disappointment.

1  Thank HeadingOut98229
Reviewed 13 March 2013

I've only eaten here twice so far but have really liked what I've had. They do serve your Mexican-American basics, but the menu also has a lot more traditional and interesting dishes. My first time here I had a great steak and cactus dish; not something I would expect at most Mexican restaurants in Bellingham.

The food is very fresh and tasty, and I really like their guacamole as well. So many Mexican restaurants tend to be too cautious and bland, but the dishes I've had at El Agave are more complex and flavorful. There are quite a range of sauces used in dishes, from tomatillo to mole, and some variety of chili-based sauces as well. This is not your average Mexican restaurant with seven ingredients prepared twenty different ways. Beside the traditional chicken, pork, and beef dishes they also have a good array of seafood dishes which I intend to start trying on my next visit.

As others have mentioned, service is very good and attentive. These people obviously want to make a good impression and care about keeping their customers happy. There is a bar and the margaritas are huge, good, and very reasonably priced. For the more adventurous you can try a margarita with a beer in it.

As a side note, they're open until 10PM every night, and 11PM on the weekends. This is very rare in Bellingham, especially in this part of town. Handy for travelers arriving into Bellingham after most places close.

A lot of people seem to have different views on what they like in Mexican food (see my review of another "popular" place in town which I feel is on the verge of inedible). Perhaps it is more a matter of expectations. If you want a big Americanized mess smothered in cheese, you might want to look elsewhere. In my opinion, if you want quality food made from fresh ingredients, El Agave is the place to go.

1  Thank IvanCU
Reviewed 20 January 2013

The meal here was "adequate" or a "C" at best, there was nothing wrong with it, but I felt I could have made this at home probably, and that there wasn't really too much put into it extra or special in any way.Yes, the portions were decently large, and the waiter was nice and attentive, but pricing wise for what you get and quality and taste it needs to be worked up the ladder of quality a notch or two to make it a true "go out" experience.As well, the interior was quite "vanilla-ish" and could be Tex-Mexed or Southwesterned up a bit in terms of decor/decorating.