“Week-end in Bellingham”
Review of Hotel Bellwether

Hotel Bellwether
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Nice accommodations. Water view is the odd numbered rooms. Gym facility is across the outdoor parking lot and minimal. Hotel is near downtown (one mile). Avoid the hotel restaurant for breakfast, service very slow. Our two buffet meals were wanting. Two menu meals were OK. Recommend the Old Town Café at 316 W Holly Street for Breakfast or lunch, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1Bellwether, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

To BrunoSegno,

Thank you reviewing your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed our property. I have forwarded your concerns with the service and food to our food and beverage manager. We are currently working on developing a new fall menu, set to debut in October or November. I hope that you come and visit us again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel is beautiful. Located on the water in Bellingham Bay, it has the friendliest and most accommodating staff you will find anywhere. If you have a room on the water, you won't want to leave your balcony. I have stayed on the water side before, and loved my room. In room 326, NOT on the water, it's a different story. The bed was shaped in the letter "V", so my husband and I kept rolling into each other throughout the night. Funny the first time, not so funny at 5 in the morning for the 10th time. The trains come throughout the night, making sure to blow their whistles as loud and as long as they possibly can, making me realize that the engineers must delight in waking people up. This room did have a balcony. It overlooked the front entrance, parking lot and businesses, and allowed my husband and I to hear the late night and early morning comings and goings of everyone and every vehicle. This particular room only had a light for the bar, one side of the bed, a desk and one chair. You couldn't see what was in the closet, and if one person on the wrong side of the bed wanted to read or use a nightstand, they were out of luck. I informed the hotel front desk about our issues, but with it being high season and hosting several weddings (I told you the water front was amazing!), there were no other rooms to be had. The bottom line is this hotel is amazing, but only if you get a waterside room.

Room Tip: You will love your room as long as it is waterfront.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle C

To Michelle C,

Thank you for bringing our attention to the issues with your room. We have since remedied the situation and now have a brand new mattress in the room you mentioned. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The place is overpriced for what you get....not a great location. I guess if you stay in your room, and don't do much...I think if they lowered their prices by 30-50% and offer specials that would make a visitor wanting to try the place! it could help???but this is not the Waldorf but the brochure seems to want to compare it to much more upscale and better located boutique hotels. I would not go back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1Bellwether, Front Office Manager at Hotel Bellwether, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

To Hanky53,

We are one of only two waterfront properties in Bellingham, WA and you chose to stay with us during our peak season, when we are at full occupancy almost every day. We do encourage our guests to book early in order to take advantage of our special deals and promotions. It is unfortunate that you were not able to take advantage of those promotions.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have stayed here a number of times and chose it again on a recent visit to Bellingham. Once again, we enjoyed the great water views, the spacious room, the comfortable bed. The staff are very friendly and helpful, including Miri in the cafe where we had breakfast, but there seem to be too few of them. On one cool evening, we wanted to use the gas fireplace, but the pilot light was off. I ran down to the desk a couple of times and stopped a third time on my way up from the much-appreciated underground parking to ask for help with the fireplace, but the lone person at the desk was always very busy, and not wanting to wait, I eventually gave up. Though we were told our room was ready for us, when we checked in we found towels and toiletries lacking, though that was corrected immediately with a call to the desk. More staff and a bit more attention to detail would have been welcome in this rather expensive hotel, but on the whole, as in the past, we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haleyx

To HaleyX,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear that you are a return guest of ours, we love the opportunity to make those personal connections with our frequent guests. Since you last stayed, we have increased our staffing at the front desk in order to better care for our guests. I hope next time you stay, we will be able to better care for your needs.

Thank you for your continued patronage,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this lovely hotel. My husband and I were in town for the weekend, and chose this place. We received a complimentary upgrade to a suite, and had a view of the bay. The happy hour in the bar/grill was fun, and the food was delicious - truly, the calamari was exceptional. The front desk and bar/grill staff were prompt and courteous, and I want to single out Kaylie at the front desk for going above and beyond the call for me while checking out. There's a very nice walking path just between the hotel and the bay, which we appreciated as well. We'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Spend a few more bucks for a bay/ocean view - you'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

To Carolyn E,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us in June. I'm glad you were able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade, we try to do these as much as we can, based on availability. My agent Kaylie is such a sweetheart, and I am happy to learn she was able to make your experience with us that much better.

We are looking forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 14 June 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed at in years and highly recommend you stay there also if you are in the area. Spacious room with fireplace - food was great in the restaurant. If you are looking for a romantic time for two - this could be the place. Be sure you sign up to take "Biscuit" , (the resident hotel dog) out for a walk in the morning as she loves the attention and a good belly rub!

Room Tip: If you stay on the side of the hotel facing the Commons, be sure to get a second floor room as the v...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

To Steve H,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your stay with us mid-June. Your short and sweet review brings a smile to my face. We pride ourselves on providing unique experiences to all of our guests, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Biscuit is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met, and one of the best greeters in town!

I hope you stay with us again,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband booked a suite for two nights in this hotel. Before arriving, I had no idea what to expect. However, when we walked into the room, I was really happy that we got a balcony facing the sea. This hotel is beautifully decorated and classic.
Our room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. Before entering the bathroom, there was a basin and a big table for the purposes of washing hands only or changing baby diapers (I think).
We like the restaurant in the hotel very much. Every day, between 3 pm to 6 pm, there were happy hours in the lounge and restaurant for guests to hang out. The food and dishes were also delicious.
As this is a little coastal town, life is pretty laid-back and people are really friendly. I usually need a glass of milk after having some alcohol. When we walked to the front desk and requested a glass of milk after coming back from some drinks and dinner, the staff at the front desk was just so friendly and pour a glass a milk to me -- without even asking us to sign the bill! The whole atmosphere was so much like at home!!
Overall, we enjoyed very much our stay there. If there is a real problem I want to address, it should be the instability of wifi. Sometimes the signal was so weak that I had to wait for some more time to download files or checking emails. My husband, however, had an issue about the sleep quality at the hotel. The curtain was not enough to block the light from the outside illumination of the building; thus, it was sometimes too bright in the bedroom.
There are also restaurants, spa, and convenient store just within walking distance.
This hotel provides some true relaxation and peace if one wants to have a quiet little getaway.

Room Tip: Book a room facing the sea is a great experience!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

To margarita_red2006,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us in early June. Thank you for your detailed and thorough review. Since you have stayed, we recently updated our WiFi network, and it is functioning as it should, strong signals throughout the building. I am so glad that you had a pleasant experience in the Lighthouse Bar & Grill too!

I look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the future,