“This place is an absolute toilet”
Review of Motel 6 Bellingham

Motel 6 Bellingham
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stay at Motel 6 because of their dog policy and the price. Most are a fairly good value. This one in Bellingham (Near WWU) is the exception.

The price was higher than we had expected for a Thursday night, $69. They charged $2,99 extra to connect to the internet.

Parking was a mess and we had to park our car out of site of the room and pack our bags a good distance.

The room was very small and you could hardly walk after unloading the bags.

The TV is this cheap tiny little thing.

Towels are tiny

Hot water must be on a time because after a couple minutes it comes out cold.

The blankets and general appearance of the place is dingy and cheap. The corporate office needs to pulls this franchise out. Poorly run and very run down. I will Never stay at this Motel 6 again.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this toilet. If you are tired from a long day on the road do yourself a favor and sta...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Randall H
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Bellingham

Reviewed 28 December 2011

First, let me explain that I last stayed at this particular facility in May of 2010, and at that time had enjoyed a fairly positive experience. As Motel 6's go, it was quiet and clean, but of course not very comfortable (the beds at Motel 6 seem especially bad, no matter where you go). Therefore, based on this experience, I returned to the same motel on Tuesday night, Dec. 20, 2011.

Checking in fairly late (after 10 p.m.), as usual I requested a quiet room, upstairs. The guy on duty assured me that's what I would get, although he was fresh out of my first preference for a Non-Smoking rooms. That was okay with me though, and I checked into room 203. As expected, the room stunk. But it also featured black hair clippings in the sink, dirt on the rug, and filth in the shower stall. Then, when I turned down the bedheets, I found the pie'ce de re'sistance: food crumbs and body hair! So I called down to the front desk to complain.

"Yeah, somebody's not doin' their job," the guy said. An understatement if ever I heard one.

Of course he didn't appologize for the inconvenience, but he did offer to move me to another room - the one next door. Okay fine, I thought, and packed up for the move.

Upon examination, however, room 204 turned out to be very nearly as bad as 203. Not only did it have food crumbs on the carpet and hair in the sink, but while in the bathroom my eyes automatically homed in on a big fistful of red hair that had apparently been yanked from some woman's scalp, lying squarely in the middle of the floor! I nearly vomitted, but instead called down to the front desk a second time. At this point I was offered the choice of a full refund and immediate check-out, or else a move to yet ANOTHER room.

Since it was already nearly 1 a.m., I nixed the idea of checking out. But I also declined a second move, rationalizing that if TWO rooms up there were filthy, they were ALL likely to be that way. So instead of leaving I settled for complaining. Complaining to the night clerk that I'd wasted $55 on a room that I couldn't at all be sure was even safe to sleep in - healthwise - and furthermore informing him that I would be expecting a full refund in the morning. At least he agreed with me on that score. Meanwhile, gingerly I scooped up the hair on the floor and placed it in a plastic ice bag, with the intention of showing it to management in the morning.

After showering in the dirty stall, I proceeded to bed, where at least I found no food crumbs. Nonetheless, all night I tossed and turned. Not because of the standard freight box that Motel 6 supplies for a bed, but because of the heater. It was one of those cheap little wall-mounted jobs that was minimally adjustable to the point where I was either basting in my own sweat, or freezing, throughout the night. Finally, at 11 a.m. the next day, I awoke for the seventh and final time - thoroughly exhausted.

Check-out time was 12 noon, which was exactly when I managed to pull things together and shuffle out the door. At the office I handed the manager the bag of hair and my complaint, and received in return my Certificate for a Free Night's Stay. And while I appreciated the gesture of the certificate, I definitely didn't appreciate the way the man tried to deny responsibility for the heater. According to him, headquarters had laughed at him when he'd told them how much it would cost to fix the heaters (apparently I was by no means the first customer to complain about them). Typical shuck and jive. And he never did APPOLOGIZE for my miserable stay!

I don't expect to find The Four Seasons when I check into a Motel 6, but I DO expect to find a clean, well-maintained, functional room. Attention Tom Bodett: this particular facility could definitely use a personal visit from you. Better yet - spend the night there!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank garcalli
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Motel 6 is a mainstay for us because we travel with our dog. This is not the best Motel 6 we've stayed with regards to room size, but it was the friendliest and most hospitable for both people and canines. They even put a water bowl in the lobby for 4-leggers visiting upon check-in. We stayed in the closest room to I-5 in the joint, but the windows did a good job of locking out the traffic noise. The owner/manager, Ed, and his staff are exceptional people.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TraveLand
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We chose this motel for its reputation, location and cost. The check in process was great and the staff are wonderful!!! There were 4 of us traveling and we stayed in a room with 2 double beds for $60 a night. It is located just off the highway and next to an IHOP. We were able to park right outside our room on the ground floor, which made it convenient to load and unload.

The room is small but if all you are doing is crashing after a day of shopping, it does the trick. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean. The place was tidy and clean. My only complaint was with the comfort of the bed, but the other bed was very comfy. I received a nice email in response to my concerns from the management. As the beds were new, he was going to look into a defect. if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in back as you can hear the traffic.

I would reccommend this motel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Despite reading the previous reviews on this Motel, I decided to draw my own conclusions and having stayed in a number of Motel 6's previously, I was equipped with my ear plugs as they are often located close to Interstates.
On registering I requested a front room, away from I5, which was granted. The room was standard for Motel 6, so, no complaints. The receptionist rang to see if everything was okay (not something that often happens). I slept perfectly, with ear plugs. The location is very convenient. I got discount at the IHOP, within walking distance. So No Complaints Whatever and I was there for 3 nights.
I received an email requesting comments from the manager in which I gave an honest and accurate opinion and received a reply stating that it is the intention to TRIPLE GLAZE the rooms to combat the noise.
WOULD I RETURN, YOU BET.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank ManicUSAVisitor
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I've stayed at this location an estimated 8 times in the last 22 years. Like someone else said it is not the Hilton but I don't need the Hilton. It is consistent-- has not changed much over the years having had just a few minor upgrades. It is noisy if you are on the freeway side but I am usually worn out when I get there and all I want to do is take a shower and get to bed and sleep and I can do that freeway noise or not. It is convenient to the freeway so it is easy to find whatever the weather or time of day and that has been important since a lot of my trips thru there have been in Nov., Dec., and Jan.. Most importantly it is easy to get from the Motel 6 to the Alaska ferry terminal and that is the primary reason I use it. I've never had a bad experience with the staff. I usually get there late on Wed. nite- sometimes on Thursday. Then check out to catch the ferry on Friday. Never used the pool. If you want frills and plush, don't stay here. If you want a place to sleep that is EZ to find, convenient to the freeway with good access to the AK Ferry terminal this place works as well as or better than most of the others in BEL. Rooms have always been reasonably clean and a few years ago when I traveled with my old dog they were very accommodating and the area around the property is adequate for walking a pet. There's a fence between the east side of the motel and the freeway so you can trust that your dog will not be able to get too far away from you. Laundry facilities are adequate and convenient but you may need to get there early or go there late if the place has a lot of guests-- it is pretty limited for machines.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raincountry2010
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I like to cycle from the Canadian Border down to Oregon or California for vacation and this motel is always my first stop of the trip. I like Motel 6 for this kind of trip because they're cheap and always have laundry facilities. On the other hand they tend to be near freeways and for some reason they don't provide shampoo.

This motel is the same as any of the other Motel 6's I've stayed at although I'd say if anything it's slightly above average for a Motel 6. The rooms are a bit small and noisy but as I've cycled 60+ miles from the Peace Arch I can still sleep fine. The manager is a very sweet lady. I've never checked out the pool.

This one has a Haggins across the road which is an awesome store. Check it out if you ever stay here. They also used to have a great Papa John's pizza nearby but they went out of business :-(

To summarize: This is not the best motel in the area but it is perfectly adequate for me and I consider it good value. When I'm travelling with family and staying multiple nights I stay at the Days Inn on Meridian.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank EnduranceCyclist