“One of the best hotel views I've ever had”

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Bellingham
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I visited Bellingham for the first time last week. My relative told me I should stay at the Chrysalis because she loved it. She knows I love a great view. Boy, was she right. We were on the second floor and our room looked onto the bay and the pier. That, plus the stunning weather last weekend in WA made for a picture perfect stay. I really liked the fireplace in the room and the bathroom was very nice and relaxing. The tub looked super clean. I found the landscaping at the hotel to be very pretty and the staff was pleasant. I liked the decor on the inside,unlike a previous poster. We ate at Keenan's one night and the server was wonderful to us. I thought the food was better than average and you cannot beat the sunset views - absolutely gorgeous. Even though they didn't have a table big enough for 5 outside, we were still right by the window, so we had a fine view. I like that you could also sit outside and just have a drink. I don't know how this hotel only got the #10 rating on TA for Bellingham hotels; it should be much higher.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Chrysalis Inn & Spa

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed here several times and love it. The rooms are cozy and the view of the water is amazing. You can't beat an afternoon walk on the boardwalk into Boulevard Park. This was the first time we used the spa. Highly recommended! There is train noise and yes you have to park your own car, but it's a nice little getaway to celebrate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My friends and I visited The Chrysalis and enjoyed a corner suite. The rooms were nice but the train was noisy in the middle of the night. They do offer ear plugs, but for the price I don't like to have to plug my ears....The jetted tub was very nice in the window overlooking the harbor. All in all I think you can do better for the price without having to use earplugs. The spa was ok, but I have had a better massage for the price elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank landmmayberry
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Chrysalis is a lovely little hotel right on the water! I pulled into the semi-circular driveway waiting for a valet to park my car. When a valet didn't appear, I went inside and was kindly told that I could either park on the street or in the underground lot. I chose the latter. The cons to the underground parking are: Tiny spaces - (if you have to park next to a support beam, grease your fenders and hold your breath). In addition, the elevator is VERRRRRRY SLOW! Be patient! The third "con" to the parking structure is that there is what looks like a pile of old, used furniture cluttering up the place. It looks tacky - honestly.

Check-in was very easy! We took our bags up to the third floor (310) and as soon as we opened the door, my daughter and I both sighed and she said, "nice room!" We had a suite so that she could have her own space (she's 17). I took the bedroom which was not oversized, but just right. There was a desk, a TV, and a great big bed! The living room area had a TV, a pull-out couch, a lovely window seat (she chose to sleep there) and a fireplace. There was also a bar with barstools, a mini-fridge with a few drinks inside, a sink, and a coffeemaker. The bathroom was all slate, and was really pretty, with a deep Jacuzzi tub, a separate shower, double sinks and two of the most comfy robes I've ever worn! There were a couple baskets of "optionals" from snacks to bath stuff, but to me, those are a rip off. My opinion.

The ice "machine" is on the second floor. It's basically a big freezer with baggies of ice cubes, which is just fine. HOWEVER, That lid is HEAVY! It fell on my forearm creating a bruise. Felt like I'd been Karate-chopped!

The first night, my daughter ditched me for dinner, so I sat outside on the patio where I enjoyed a martini and a burger! My server was incredibly sweet. I told him I was alone, and he said, "I'll keep you company!" The weather was perfect and the view of the setting sun on the bay was lovely! There was one drawback - I ordered a salad "to go" for my daughter. When the server brought it, it consisted of less than a handful of field greens with some sort of vinaigrette. Missing were the avocado and grapes. I told my server and he said he would "spruce it up". He brought it back and there was literally another 1/2 handful of lettuce added to it, and a tiny bit of avocado. At that point, I waited about 10 minutes for him to reappear, but as I was getting tired, I changed my 20% tip to a 15% tip, and caught a server on my way out and asked him to explain to my server the reason I lowered his tip. I felt awful doing so (it was only a difference of $3), but, the only communication from guest to cook/chef is via the server. I felt he could have done a better job to ensure the salad was made correctly. The service was a bit slow, but my server looked pretty busy, so maybe they were understaffed. One other minor gripe is no martini glasses. My Grey Goose was served in a low-ball glass. Not good. I'm a total glass snob, and this just falls short. That said, I WILL go back for a second chance!

The trains...

I've read some gripes about the trains. If you are one who likes to sleep with the windows open, this place may not be for you! The trains are LOUD and OFTEN!! I didn't use the ear plugs that were on the night stand. I just kept the windows closed and used the air. I didn't sleep well though because while my room was too warm, my daughter's sleeping area was about 10 degrees cooler (cold). She was freezing and I was hot. But, opening the windows was not an option, unfortunately, because of the noise. Next time, I'll give her the bedroom and I'll take the living room. We should all be happy!

The next day I found a great little market called Haggen's which is just a few blocks away. I bought cheese and crackers, fruit, wine, salads, etc. We had kind of a picnic dinner the second night in our room. It was all good.

I look forward to visiting The Chrysalis next month and giving that restaurant another shot. Bellingham is an adorable little beach town, and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LATOTUSCA
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Positive: Beautiful views, nice restaurant and staff. Nice gal at the spa who treated me.
Negative: I pulled up in my car, checked in... No one offered to help me with bags or valet. I was told to park on the street or in their garage. I was in town for a wedding and had lots of luggage, etc. Other wedding party guests had no help with bags / dresses/ parking.
One group showed up at 4:30 on Saturday just before ceremony, the hotel had given away their room.
The trains below the windows are loud!
The decor is dated. It was northwest chic back in the day, but needs updating.
Check out... No help with bags on the way out. I bumped into friends with a cart with their own luggage and they joked that they would tip themselves since they brought everything curbside for themselves.
For $300 a night, the service was a joke. I would have given this a much higher rating if the staff actually moved their bodies to assist.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank SLinSeattle
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place has the nicest staff. In fact, I think Bellingham has the nicest people in the U.S. The only thing startling was the train that rode by but you get used to it. Otherwise, I recommend this place.

I didn't have time to take advantage of the spa, but I hear it's top notch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank S B Hadley W
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you're traveling north of Seattle and looking for a special place to relax, I invite you to check out the Chrysalis Inn & Spa. My wife and I have been there twice, and each time find it a relaxing getaway. It offers a great view of the bay and is an easy walk into town, where you'll find a nice selection of shops and restaurants. The Chrysalis does offer a nice verandah for dining, a cozy bar, and great food!

If you love trains, this is the place for you! Although it can be a bit noisy at times with the windows open, you'll see Amtrak passenger as well as freight trains. I think it kind of adds to the charm of the place.

Room Tip: Choose a bay view and big bathtub!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple