“Great Place...Lots Of Character”

The Chrysalis Inn & Spa
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
Seattle, Washington
“Great Place...Lots Of Character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Chrysalis and we had a wonderful experience. The front desk was very courteous. Our room had a view of the water and the railroad tracks...which we thought was quite unique. We did not hear any trains run throughout the night. We thought our room was really nice...with the fireplace and the bay window. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and a walk-inn shower. We would stay again!

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank 1EyeWally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2005

My husband and I decided have a nice getaway and have a relaxing weekend with no kids up in Bellingham at this hotel and spa I had heard so much about. We check in at 4 PM and our room overlooking the water was not ready, so we went to the bar and had a glass of wine. We made reservations to have a massage each of us. The spa is beautiful. When the massage therapist asked me what kind of massage I wanted I said a swedish massage. Well for some reason he decided I needed a deep tissue and proceeded to give me one. I thought the massage was quite rough for a swedish massage ( he did the same to my husband). By the next morning I could barely move my neck. At first I thought it was just sore from the massage and took some ibuprofen. By Monday morning I had to call in sick to work because I couldn't even turn my head. It took me 6 weeks to get my neck back to full range of motion. My chiropractor told me it was because the massage therapist tore muscles in my neck when he did the massge so rough. The second thing about the hotel you should be aware of is that the trains run all night long. It woke me up twice at 3AM and 6AM, so much for a nice quite relaxing getaway.
P.S.- the hotel never reimbursed me for all my medical expenses or gave me any money back from my $90 massage.

• Stayed January 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2005

We had a disappointing experience at Chrysalis. To me, service is as important as the facilities themselves and the service at the Chrysalis is really lacking. They never warn you about the train noise. The train is right below the room so you can hear it (and feel it). It didn't bother me, but my husband couldn't sleep.

The breakfast was nice and the rooms are really lovely - the views are fabulous.

We both had spa treatments. My massage was great, but my husband thought his massage was just so-so. The steam room was great, but the relaxtion room was anything but. The "room" is far too small so some of the people waiting had to actually stand up while waiting for their treatment, plus it is really in a hallway so you can hear lots of noise from people walking by and you can hear everything that the nail techs discuss because they are right next to the relaxation room.

After our spa treatments, we went to the front desk to inquire about a late check out (it was 11:50 a.m. on a Thursday and check out was at noon). We explained that we'd just finished our treatments and wanted to stay and have lunch at the hotel's restaurant. The front desk clerk got a panicked look and said that maybe we could check out late, but we couldn't stay any longer than 12:30 p.m. We were so turned off by her attitude that we went back to our room, changed clothes, and checked out by Noon and then went someplace else in town to spend our lunch money. Not at all a good way for her to have handled it.

The other thing that really bothered me about the Chrysalis was that it doesn't have any exercise facilities at all - no treadmills, no elliptical trainers, nothing. I'd been considering the Chrysalis for a weekend spa trip with girlfriends, but won't go there because our experience was so disappointing and because they don't have work out facilities.

If you are looking for a nice spa/inn experience in Washington, there are other places to go that have more accommodating service.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank DMNWA
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2005

We only spent two nights here but could have stayed longer. What a fabulous place! The room was beautiful with a view of the bay. My husband loved the bathroom with the Japanese style sliding doors around the two person tub. The breakfast was very nice too. The staff were very helpful. The only reason I don't give this hotel an excellent rating is because of the train. The train tracks run right next to the hotel. The hotel does provide ear plugs but they are uncomfortable for me so I don't use them. We travel with a nature's sounds machine and had to use it the second night. It worked well. The first night the train went by at least 3 times and usually used its horn. Not a very restful sleep! So just keep that in mind if you book. Otherwise, it is a wonderful, high class hotel.

5 Thank katwave
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2005

We just spent the last night of our honeymoon at the Chrysalis Inn, and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect stay. The room was gorgeous. The furniture, bed linens, and fabrics were beautiful. Understated and simple...very classic NW design. The 2-person tub was heavenly. We had a side room that faced north, so we could sit in the window seat and still look out over Bellingham Bay and Boulevard Park. We even watched a bald eagle soaring above the water searching for fish.

I had read the previous reviews regarding noise, so we requested a room on the top floor when booking the hotel, which we received. We didn't hear either of our adjacent neighbors. I was prepared for the train noise, but it was hardly noticable. (It probably helped that we had a side room that didn't face the tracks directly.) I'm a light sleeper, but I didnt wake up at all to any trains going by at night. We probably heard about 5 trains otherwise, but it was more of a distant rumble. The hotel did a good job at letting us know about the possible noise, and also provided earplugs on each bedside table.

The complimentary breakfast was very nice. It was your typical continental breakfast food, but served in the Fino Wine Bar/Restaurant, overlooking the Bay, which made it all taste even better!

Overall, the hotel was excellent. We didn't want to leave! We will definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank PKLAASE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2005

We have visited the Chrysalis on numerous occasions over the last three years and have always been THRILLED with our experience. It is a charming and beautifully appointed boutique style hotel near quaint Fairhaven. The views are gorgeous, service wonderful, and you won't want to ever leave your room it is so relaxing with a huge 2-person tub, fireplace and wonderful bed. Yes, you will hear the train roll by every so often, but we never found this too distracting. The spa is very nice but small. You can enjoy the steam room without actually booking spa treatments and that's a great addition. We have been to many similar small luxury hotels/inns in the northwest (Salish Lodge, Willows Lodge, etc) and find the Chrysalis to be our absolute favorite. It may not have the Spa you'll find at Salish Lodge, but you also won't have the exorbitant prices. It is a fraction of the price of the Salish Lodge or the Willows, but has just as much appeal.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2005

This was a terrible hotel experience! Dirty tub, no crib, no housekeeping, and train noise all day and night. Not restful, to say the least. Then, two months later we were charged $200 in spa fees mysteriously on our credit card. Hunh? Called and was told after several phone calls that the receptionist gave us a price that was too low, even though that's what we were quoted when we made the reservation, so they made up the difference in phony spa fes without calling us first. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. Never got a call from the manager even after many nice but firm complaints. Forget about staying here, but enjoy the restaurant for a nice quiet dinner interrupted by a freight train blasting past your table every half hour.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member