“Still great!”

Cafe Rumba
Ranked #20 of 452 Restaurants in Bellingham
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We're still regulars at Cafe Rumba, which says a lot. We've also tried two similarly priced Peruvian eateries in Oregon, and neither held a candle to this place in terms of taste and quality. I still stand by my previous review, and thought I'd add tips for the uninitiated.
1) Ordering is easy. Menus are behind the register, specials to the right. Sauce info is at the register on a card, or you can just ask. All sandwiches are messy, and messy = good.
2) Do not fear the sauces, which are distinctive. Each is also different from the others. Every sandwich comes with at least 2 different sauces. This is awesome. However, if you like spicy, ask for salsa criolla, escabeche, or rocoto. They will sub out sauces, or even just let you try some in a dish to help you decide what you like.
3) Try the specials, which change frequently. The choripan (kielbasa or chorizo, grilled onions, chumichurri) is yummy! Empanadas are tasty, but smallish - for smaller appetites or to supplement your meal. Housemade juices are also good.
4) Big appetite? Add a salad or order of choclo (corn). Or more potatoes. But we find that a sandwich and the accompanying potatoes is usually plenty.
5) It make take a little time to get your order, as each sandwich is made to order and that involves toasting the sandwich roll and grilling potatoes. Your patience will be rewarded.

Go to Cafe Rumba to try something new. You can get a Rueben anywhere. But a Peruvian style pavo sandwich? Not so much.

3  Thank Localhamster
There are newer reviews for Cafe Rumba

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We love to try different restaurants, but this was very grungy and dark. The food selection was very disappointing, totally uninspired and hard to read the menu & decide on something to eat.
M.A.D.

1  Thank frenchie3927
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We travel and eat out consistently so we have experienced many different recipes. The soup of the day and the Portuguese roll were good. Beyond that we weren't impressed. The menu was in different locations so deciding on an item did not flow well. The atmosphere was dark and dreary. The server was a light of sunshine however the owner just sat at table looking at TV. He made no effort to greet his guests. We will not return.

1  Thank Redhead3927
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I had number one with cold marinara sauce out of can and dry barely warm meat. The bread was good but I have no idea why this place garnered a near perfect rating. My girlfriend had the number two chicken and it was a bit better but nothing special. It was not very clean, I liked the topical music, and the service was fine. I was expecting more and left hungry. I'd say a firm mid pack finisher.

2  Thank lowkey4
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The food was well made, spicy, very tasty and priced right. It's a little 'hole in the wall' with a funky atmosphere. I had the club sandwich with bacon, avocado, generous helping. I will go again for sure.

1  Thank Barbara D