“Less than impressed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Fairhaven Village Inn
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Bellingham
“Less than impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2005

Location = Fantastic! My husband and I loved the scenery and convenience of being right downtown with all of the great shops and restaurants.

Ambiance = very tastefully decorated room, charming lobby. However, train noise several times both nights was frustrating as we were traveling with a small child, and were hoping for more restful sleep.

Breakfast = overall a nice selection and cute set-up. Unfortunately, I was extremely turned off when I reached for a bagel which turned out to have green spots of mold. It really made me question the rest of the food items, and our family quietly opted to have breakfast at a nearby cafe one morning, and then traveled to IHOP the second day.

Staff = I found the desk clerk(s) to be very cordial and accomodating, especially when taking into consideration the hours they must be putting in! I only ever remember seeing two staff members during our two-night stay, each worked very dilligently to deliver things to our room while simultaneously manning the continental breakfst, AND checking people in/out. They must work 24 hour shifts at the least, which is also puzzling since the hotel is closed from 10pm-7am... I was going to see about a toothbrush the first night, but realized it was after closing. I honestly didn't know if anyone would be there to help me or not! Not the warm feeling I would expect from a small inn or B&B.

I also have to question some of the working conditions I encountered with the housekeeping staff. Those girls (And I believe a gentleman) never seemed to take a break, though they were always very plesant and accomodating. I also mistakenly wandered into a laundry room the 1st night while I was looking for a restroom. At least I think it was a laundry room... there was garbage and cardboard spilling out the entrance, and from what I could tell in the dark, the room was stuffed with carts and dirty linins. Again, not something I wanted to see while getting away at a small inn.

value for money = about what I would expect for a hotel so close to the water ($162/night) Very dissapointed about the breakfast though, as that was one of the deciding factors when I booked the room.

Overall experience = I would not visit this hotel on another trip to the area, as I could have had a more predictible experience at a chain hotel for less money. My business takes me all over the world, and I have never stayed at such an "interesting" establishment.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2005

Our room was lovely and spacious, and parking and breakfast were included in the price. The hotel has a nice outdoor terrace on the second floor. The location, in the heart of the historic part of town, can't be beat.

4 Thank markOttawa_Canada
Edgartown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2005

This was our third stay at the Fairhaven Village Inn in the past two years and we continue to enjoy our stays very much. The improvements in this hotel over the past couple years are very impressive. We would call into question some of the negative comments recently posted on Tripadvisor

A prior Tripadvisor review mentioned �weak coffee� and this is totally unfounded in our honest opinion. In fact, we went to Tony's, the boutique coffee maker that custom roasts the coffee beans used by the Inn, and purchased this coffee for our home. You can find Starbuck's everywhere; but, Tony's is a higher quality coffee for our tastes.

We have never been disappointed with the hotel's continental breakfast offering, as well. We find the choice of hot and cold cereals; various yogurts and juices; assorted breads and muffins; and a choice of fresh fruits more than adequate. Our favorite is the cooked to order waffle. It escapes us how anyone can refer to this continental breakfast menu as "limited". When we go to Europe we usually get a dry roll, small juice and a cup of coffee and have been told for years that this is a continental breakfast.

We still find the location of the inn a real plus. When we stay at the Fairhaven Village Inn, we park our car and forget about it. We walk virtually everywhere. We adore the historic Fairhaven district and the many restaurants, bars and shops that are footsteps from this hotel. No other hotel in Bellingham can make this claim.

In all fairness to readers, virtually every view of the harbor from anywhere in the Fairhaven district includes a view of the various roofs of the buildings in the port. And as for train noise noted in another comments, the railroad tracks run a very distant three blocks from the hotel. We have never been bothered by train noise. The only trains we were aware of were Amtrak that stops at the distant ferry terminal around 10 AM each morning and then again at about 7:30 in the evening. The sound of the train whistles is less than the sound of the Alaska Ferry leaving port.

The Fairhaven Village Inn is a wonderful place and we have got to know the owners, Connie and Gene Shannon, and it is rare you find owners so committed to ensuring their guests have an enjoyable stay. Like any other hotel we have stayed at, we have had a couple of very small issues; however, these owners are on site and made every effort to make us happy. This hotel may not have bellmen, a restaurant or bar; but, the Fairhaven Village Inn is a most comfortable and pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank TravelJohnson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2005

My husband and I spent five days at the Fairhaven Inn near the end of June. Our room overall was very nice, featuring a king size bed, two overstuffed chairs and a small balcony overlooking the bay. Whether it was the luxuriously comfortable bed or the sea breeze, we don't know, but we slept so well each night it was hard to get out of bed in the morning. The inn's location, nearby an extensive trail system, is perfect for runners or walkers and there are several good restarants within walking distance.

One caveat: if you don't like the sound of trains passing by a few times a day, this location may not be for you. Personally we found that the sounds of the trains and the sights of ships moving in and out of the nearby ferry terminal perfectly matched the turn of the 20th century atmosphere of the historic district and the hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2005

Yes its a nice hotel in a nice location...but you better follow the guidelines about not leaving valuables out in your room. We went out for a short walk the first of the two days we stayed there and when we came back the room had been cleaned--and we were cleaned out. I had left my wallet out on the desk (which had 3 credit cards and a few hundred in cash) and immediately on our return we discovered it gone. The cleaning staff (who didn't even manage to replace most of the dirty towels--probably in their haste to get out of the room) acted dumb and innocent when I asked them if perhaps they had "mistakingly" put the wallet in the trash. (giving them a way out). The manager went to look in the trash, but didn't take the cleaners with them to resolve the issure. The owners were of no help at all and were happy to take our check (since all our credit cards were gone) for the stay that ruined our vacation. So if you stay here, do what the contract you sign says, put all your valuables (camera, laptops, wallets etc. that aren't going with you) in their safe at the front desk or suffer the consequences.

• Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2004

Good points: superbly appointed rooms (ours had a gas effect fire and rado/CD player). Very pleasent staff who upgraded our room, quite unnecessaily to a bay view room, as the result of a very minor glitch over our credit card.
Bad points: the bay view rooms overlook an industrial estate and are a bit noisy as a result. The continental breakfast was very disappointing with weak coffee and a poor choice.

6 Thank Simontheeditor
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2004

We are just back from our second stay at the Fairhaven Village Inn and the new owners are really hands-on proprietors! Unfortunately most online booking services will never show the Fairhave as having available rooms. CALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY, THEY ARE AMAZINGLY HELPFUL HOTELIERS.

A sunny new breakfast room has been added, the roof top terrace overlooking the bay is in full bloom and, the new highspeed internet access was flawless, as well.

But oh how the rooms have been refreshed with beautiful new cotton linens and decorator comforters and tons of pillows!

For our 4th of July stay we sprang for the single suite in the hotel which is extremely spacious and offers a romantic whirlpool bath. The suite's living room has been redone and offers great new seating arrangements along with wonderful lighting. You just cannot help yourself but to crawl into an over-stuffed chair with a favorite book.

The gorgeous dining area feature a huge dining room table and a stunning new chandelier which makes this area ideal for a small business meeting or spreading out with the complimentary Sunday morning paper!

We would not have to think twice about making this suite our "home" for an extended visit to the historic Fairhaven district in the future. It is worth every penny!

And for the really important news, the fresh baked cookies offered every afternoon now includes an incredible cranberry-oatmeal variety. Staying at the Fairhaven Village Inn is justified by the afternoon warm cookie service!

This is living!