“Great Christmas Brunch”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The atmosphere is great and the food was very good. The brunch layout is a little cramped but other than a people backlog once in a while it was a minor inconvenience.

1  Thank John N
HotBelle, Manager at Lighthouse Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor, we wanted to let you know that we have added extra buffet space so that the next time you come to enjoy a buffet at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill everything will flow more smoothly. We hope you’ll join us for our Easter Brunch Buffet on April 20th, 2014.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I just went and had their Christmas buffet. It was the worst buffet I had ever had in my life. The butter rolls where as hard as rocks. The cheese selection was all combined and the mixed. They had a blue cheese that was a little off. Over burned turkey legs, and over fried chicken breasts. They had a made to order risotto station. The one I had was over mushy and too salty, it was hard to make out the flavors between all the salt and the cream. I added shrimp to mine and it looked like miniature shrimp too small to be even considered miniature shrimp. Salmon was dry and over cooked. Fruits were off, grapes tasted sour. The highlight of the whole menu was the mashed potatoes, and probably because they were made from instant flakes. We tried the deserts. The chocolate mouse was hard, as if it was done a day before. They had checkered chocolate cake and it also tasted like two days ago. The other selections were some sort of cranberry crumble, where on top of breads that I swear to you could break a window. My kid had marshmallows and they where also stiff as If the bag was opened a few days ago. At the end of the meal that is how I felt. I ate a buffet that was prepared for the night before (or maybe two nights before) and was reheated and served for today. Maybe taking advantage that all other restaurants were closed for Xmas they new that the guests could do no better. I would expect this of a cheap 10 dollar no-name buffets but even those are not as bad. The Lighthouse Bar & Grill is main restaurant of one of the nicest upscale hotels in town. I would have expect at least half decent for what they charged. Having a reheated buffet made two days ago is just wrong. The head chef of this operation should be fired. Even if offered the meal for free, I would never eat in this place again. Especially where in the vicinity of the bay area you have several other restaurant selections which are several times better. The only redeeming factor was that the staff was really nice and attentive, but I can not say enough bad things about the food. It was a complete disaster. Avoid making the same mistake I did.

2  Thank Nadim S
Jim H, General Manager at Lighthouse Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

I was sorry to read your comments regarding our Christmas Buffet. All our food items are consistently fresh, and locally sourced when available. Christmas Day was one of our biggest days of the year. We served nearly 500 people throughout the day and early into the evening. We have received countless positive responses from our guests and very good feedback during the dinner service. I am thrown by your comments and encourage you to contact me so I can better understand your experience - jim@hotelbellwether.com. As a well respected northwest restaurant our Chef prides himself in providing high quality food with fresh local products. We would very much like the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Being a resident of Bellingham I can avoid this place when the music plays. In the summer one can escape the music by sitting further away from the group that is playing outside but when the weather goes bad (Nov-May) you are condemned to enjoy it, or else, inside. We are not talking about a piano softly playing in the background but the likes of a small jazz group with amplified instruments and microphone for the singer(s). I cannot fathom why amplification is required in such a small venue except that the band members and the staff/management must be all hard of hearing or the singer(s) voice(s) require(s) a reverberation effect to sound decent.

Unfortunately, much of the Happy Hour menu has devolved to the fried or the overpriced.

2  Thank Voyageur10

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I wanted to inform you about the music program here at the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. The music your review is referring to is our Sunday Night Jazz program. Every Sunday night from 4:30pm-7:30pm we have a live Jazz Trio or Quartet play in the lounge, and I will completely agree with you, the music does get loud. The vast majority of our guests on Sunday nights are coming in for the show so it is rare to receive complaints about it. We would be happy to accommodate you with a table away from the music if you wanted to join us on any Sunday. I also recommend trying the lounge on a Friday or Saturday night where from 6pm-9pm we have a live pianist softly playing to entertain our guests.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This restaurant is in the Bellwether Hotel where we stayed for 5 days. We ate breakfast there almost every day. After first day, my husband and I ended up ordering one breakfast and sharing it with some sides because the servings were so huge. The last day, we treated our son, daughter-in-law, and new in-laws to breakfast there. They love it, as well.

Thank you kindly for sharing your experience, I am very pleased that you had such a great experience with us here at the Hotel Bellwether and Lighthouse Bar and Grill! Glad to hear that your in-laws had a wonderful breakfast too, thank you for introducing them to our restaurant.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We submitted a rave review a year and a half ago. Since then we went to the restaurant for an anniversary dinner. This was very different from several previous visits to the reataurant, which we enjoyed every time. I don't know if this is due to a new chef, new foods manager, or what, but the quality of food has definitely gone downhill. The wine list is still excellent but we almost certainly will not be returning for dinner. The hotel is still very good and the front staff are very friendly and cooperative.

1  Thank wrigor

Firstly, thank you for your numerous reviews of the Lighthouse Bar and Grill. I was disappointed to hear that your last visit to us in October of 2013 was unsatisfactory. There were several key management changes occurring in the restaurant during this time that contributed to your experience. None of this excuses the negative experience you had, especially when you are out celebrating a special event like an anniversary. Give us the opportunity to show you how the restaurant has improved. Please contact my personally and I would love to make this up to you by treating you and your significant other to dinner here, Mira@hotelbellwether.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon.