“Just Good Genuine Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for a quick supper on our way back home on I-5. From the second you step in until the moment you leave, the friendly staff here treats you like a welcome guest. The client mix the night we went was families, Spanish speaking customers and local university students.

The menu has lots to choose from, the food is tasty and generous and the service is fast paced. The highlight of this meal was the mole - deep and dark with a nice kick. Lots to choose from and it all looks good.

Clearly the locals enjoy this place and I can see why. What's not to like?

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Visiting in the area, we had the hankering for Mexican and found El Gitano. Lively vibe once we entered, while it is within a "shopping mall" type of area - the place was hopping and completely full on a Friday night. Mariachi band playing from table to table reminded us of places in California we had gone to when we lived there. The Patron Margarita got us off to an bubbly start. Super friendly, and packed with locals - El Gitanos was a great way to start our weekend away.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is the best Mexican food in the area! I most enjoy the fajitas and find they have many original menu items. Their burritos are also excellent with high quality steak. Allow a couple extra minutes as it is a little hard to find the first time. It's near the Sunset Movie theater (which is now closed). look. There is plenty of seating and a large separate bar area. The family that runs it is very friendly and enjoyable to meet.

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I moved to Bellingham from San Diego over four years ago. I grew up eating Mexican food in San Diego and all over Mexico. I set out on a quest when arriving in Bellingham to find good Mexican food. Most Mexican restaurants in Whatcom county suck. The food is usually bland. My coworkers all gave me their opinions on their favorite Mexican places. They all sucked. People here have never been exposed to good Mexican food, so they don't know any better. One day I decided to try Gitanos with my wife. Finally!! Good Mexican food. The service is friendly and fast. They have a full bar and are generous with their chips and salsa. My favorite is their carne asada lunch special, a good deal during the week days. The meat is tender and bursting with flavor. I also like the chimichanga del mar, stuffed with seafood. I always rate a Mexican restaurants refried beans. Gitanos are excellent, the best in town. My little girl devours them!!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Geez, I was happy that I remembered a radio spot that ran for a long time on the Classic Rock station my truck radio gets.

El Gitano, had a catchy jingle, that went off in my dome as I drove the I-5 on my way home from Seattle. I had left after coffee and was getting a hunger on when I drove into Bellingham, as I passed under the sign, I instinctively remembered the jingle and pulled in. The staff were totally friendly. Super menu with lots of options for all types of appetetites. The house salsa is really REALLY Goood. Big deal on beers is regular here and specials all week. They currently had a chile rejeno enchillada special, and it was macho! Big Ups to this spot, I'll definitely return for the food, drinks and the service.