“Great food!! but lacks in service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mount Bakery Cafe
Ranked #12 of 440 Restaurants in Bellingham
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Mount Bakery is a bakery, cafe, creperie and restaurant serving award winning pastries and desserts, Bellingham's Best Benedict, scratch made soups, quiches, and lunch specials daily AND full menu plus dinner specials Wednesday through Saturdays. We are also now open at a second location - Mount Bakery Fairhaven - at 1217 Harris Avenue in the Historic Fairhaven district of Bellingham! Come to our Fairhaven neighborhood location to watch our famed bakers work while enjoying quiche, soup, pastries, fabulous cakes, espresso and more!
Bellingham, Washington
“Great food!! but lacks in service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Let me tell you, I love the food here. LOVE THE FOOD! The hard part for me is the service. I want to come here and eat the very delicious variations of pastries, quiche, and waffles all.the.time! The experience would be so much more enjoyable if the staff put the enthusiasm into their service as the owners did into their products.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank TravelBuddyHeather

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Delicious food but hope you're not in a hurry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is a relax and enjoy the morning type place. The food is excellent and the house coffee is decent, not great. Their specialty is apparently various types of Eggs Benedict which are served on waffles. My wife got this with smoked salmon and it was very good, not too strong of a sauce but plenty of flavor. I got the savory breakfast crepe and thought it was also very good, a great balance of filling and crepe, and the roast potatoes they serve with it are super tasty.

The servers were friendly enough but everything was pretty slow. Actually, the only thing that wasn't slow was the amount of time between actually ordering food and receiving the food (probably the most important part). But the staff (1 or 2 people I think) were sort of getting to people in whatever order they felt like, ambling over to chat, etc. Customers who ordered things to go seemed to be standing around for a long time waiting.

• Visited May 2014
Bellingham, Washington
“Poor Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We've been here a few times in the last few months and the service has consistently been slow and lacking:

First time we sat down for breakfast. It took around 30 minutes to get our food. It was a busy Sunday morning so we assumed it was due to the crowd.

Second time, came back to get something to go as we didn't have time to sit down and wait for our order. We ordered two croissants and two lattes (as is - no special changes or requests to the lattes). The croissants were bagged up and we paid for the order. Then we waited for our coffee, and waited, and waited. I would ask if it was going to get made soon and the woman told me she would get to it in a moment. Then she went off to take someone's order, to run a few credit cards, chat with a coworker for a few moments. I asked again. Was told it would be made in a moment and then she went away. Looked at my watch - we'd been waiting for our 2, 8 oz lattes to get made for 15 minutes. Asked another employee, who looked annoyed with me and finally started making them. The original woman that I'd asked twice about my drinks came back and took over for him telling the other employee that she was getting to it. When exactly?! 24 minutes after paying for our order, we finally got our coffee and left.

Tried again to sit at a table one morning for breakfast. There was no line and a few tables open. We put our names down and then waited 20 minutes to get seated. During that time the servers chatted with each other and hung out. We watched one female server cough in front of the pastry case multiple times and wipe her nose on her sleeve before finally leaving to wash her hands (ew. ew. ew.) I finally went back up and checked the list and asked how long it would be since, you know, there was no one else on it and no one else waiting for the open tables and she looked at me like "oh, there's people here!". We were seated a few moments later.

Stopped by this morning to pick up a croissant to go, had exact change out and ready. Woman didn't look up and say hello, just said she'd be with me in a moment. She went and refilled waters, started a new pot of coffee, put some menus away by the register. Then left again and began taking orders from a few tables. I waited almost 10 minutes and left.

I've worked in the food industry, hospitality and own my own small business. I understand wanting to keep your bottom line low and wanting to be efficient but this was ridiculous. You need more than 1 person working in the morning if your specialty is breakfast. That's great if you want to offer a moody, European vibe, but those cafes in Paris and Belgium are at least efficient and your orders arrive promptly. Unhappy + slow servers are unacceptable. Making people wait at the counter for 10 minutes for a to go order that will take you less than a minute to process is inefficient. Coughing in front of your open pastry case is disgusting. Not being aware enough of your surroundings to realize there are not only people on the list but also waiting for a table in front of you is ridiculous.

I gave this two stars because we really do enjoy the croissants. Not as light and airy as we had in France when we travelled but still freshly made and tasty. Sadly, I'm tired of putting in the effort to get one and won't be back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Arvada, Colorado
“Delicious breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing breakfast place with a hip atmosphere (but not so hip that you can't enjoy yourself)!

The menu seems standard at first glance, however closer inspection reveals some creative and delicious twists on the usual. They have a great eggs benedict selection, and they're all served on fluffy Belgian waffles instead of English muffins- you must try it! The coffee was yummy, too.

We got there around 9 on Sunday morning and beat the crowd. By the time we left, there was quite a line- definitely try to get there early.

WA
“Great Breakfast Choice-”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

A Bellingham favorite for breakfast. Menu offers a healthy twist to most traditional choices, all so yummy. A very eclectic gathering spot. Come early to secure a table.

Visited November 2013