“Excellent Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were looking for a place to have dinner on the way home from Seattle to Vancouver BC, and found D'anna's. We were pleasantly surprised by the very high quality of the food and service. The Bruschetta was near-perfect, and our mains (gnocchi and manicotti) were very good.

There are newer reviews for D'anna's Cafe Italiano

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Oh good grief! I had dinner at D'Anna's this evening and am hoping that the only way I might get this terrible taste out of my mouth is by writing an honest review. I was with 3 other people and their food was passable which is why I have given it 2 instead of 1 star. I ordered the pasta primavera on gluten free pasta. First the sauce: it was swimming in horribly bitter garlic, which as it turns out was the only flavor in the dish. The vegetables were over cooked and totally tasteless--I only ate them because compared to the pasta they at least had a slight bit of texture. Now the pasta: I know gluten free can be challenging but have had it many places and this was by far the most tasteless and mushy pasta I have ever eaten. Shame on an Italian restaurant for putting out any kind of pasta that has this texture. If I have ever had an Italian dish this bad I have blocked it from my memory, it was just that bad. As to the rest of it, the restaurant is dirty, wine selection poor, but the service was fine. I will never return. And, by the way, 3 hours after finishing my meal, my mouth is still overwhelmed with the taste of bitter garlic, I guess writing hasn't helped:-)

3  Thank alwayspacked
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Love the bread! Absolutely amazing - When it's done right. Some days it's fluffy, warm and just wonderful goodness. Some days it's thin, a bit burnt and doesn't resemble the norm. In fact, I've had several servings of this bread on the "same" visit and one serving doesn't look a thing like the one I had 15 minutes earlier. Lunch is a great deal price wise, I always order one of the ravioli dishes, just amazing. The sneaky part, and the reason I refuse to dine here for dinner, is the huge jump in price between lunch and dinner prices yet the "only" difference is 4 raviolis. That's it people, Only 4 raviolis makes the difference between lunch and dinner sizes, yet the price jump is....what...$6?? I refuse to pay that much extra for 4 extra raviolis. Ridiculous.

Service - For such a spendy place; the service is mediocre. It boggles my mind the turn over this place has in waitstaff. Yes, there are few die hards but they are "Rough around the Edges" types. A bit hard, tough kind of folks I wouldn't want serving me to begin with. Sorry but it's true. Anytime I've had a legitimate complaint it's been taken with the utmost defensive arrogance by the waitstaff and then passed on the other waitstaff who then proceed to "discuss" said incident while I watch and listen. It's just amazing how poor the service here is at times. If I could get those delicious raviolis elsewhere - I would never return to this establishment.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel desk clerk and we gave her a big thank you. The setting is not impressive but not awful. Everyone I was with was happy with there food but I was thrilled. I ordered the roasted red pepper ravioli and it was delicious! It was in an Alfredo type sauce covered in Parmesan. We had dinner reservations for that night so I knew I shouldn't finish the pasta because it would leave me without an appetite for dinner. My fellow diners were very happy to finish my lunch. I don't get to Bellingham very often. I'm thinking I should try to recreate this dish at home. The service was friendly, portions generous and prices reasonable.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nice food. Good quality ingredients. Lots of space and easy to get a table even on a Saturday night.

Been to D'anna's Cafe Italiano? Share your experiences!