“It can only get better...but worth a look!”
Review of Semiahmoo Resort

Semiahmoo Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Blaine
Reviewed 22 October 2013

With the "new" soft opening of this great resort we deceided to take advantage of the member discount and book a night there after golf. We really didnt expect much as we understand this is a work in progress and a traing run for all staff. That said we encountered a small glitch in attemtping to book online as the site went down due to heavy loads....so we did so by phone. Once checked in the only visable change in the rooms is that they have replaced all the beds with new deep memory foam mattresses...very nice.. The most signifigant change is in the dining facility Packers. The menu has been completely redone and he food was outstanding!....very impressed. If this is any indication of what further results will be accomplished once the $6million renovations are completed....then they will have rediscovered a winning formula. This is certainly worth a look through the winter months as this resort is a great warm place to spend an evening or two on the water just kicking back.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to apologize for the lack of personalized service received during your stay. Even as you did not expect much based on the fact that we were doing a soft opening, your comments are quite valid and well placed, and for this I am grateful that you took valuable time out of your day to feedback. And for not having met or exceeded your expectations, I extend to you my most sincere apologies.
Since we took over and opened the resort, we have done several things such as placing Keurig coffee makers in the room, change the bed, deep clean the property, repainted, etc. In addition, a new culinary program is in place and we keep training the enthusiastic team we have in place to be able to understand the concept, have a sense of belonging and ownership in order to present it all to guests like yourself with an upmost level of service.

Furthermore, I will put forth every effort, in conjunction with our entire management team to research, rectify and facilitate immediate improvement in regards to the items noted.

I would very much enjoy the privilege of not only serving you again, but to personally discuss your stay. As a member of our clubs, your support and loyalty to Semiahmoo resort is incommensurable.

At your service,

Assistant General manager
Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Arrived on a Saturday, late afternoon for a two night R&R (Relax and Rejuvenate) time away. Placed a phone call to the Spa on the 2 hour journey from home to see when we could book a couples massage. Was told that a 5 pm on Sunday evening was available and that worked perfectly for us. I then inquired about a manicure. That question was met with a giggle and sigh as the Spa associate informed me that she had made a mistake about availability for a couples massage; said she was looking at Facials and there was nothing available Sunday for our request but offered 5 pm that night, Saturday, that worked for us, too. I then inquired again about a manicure and, after a pause, was told I could have a 4pm manicure and continue right in to the couples massage. I arrived at The Spa at 3:45. Brought to the Ladies Locker room, instructed on what to do and where to go. After changing, I sat in a moderately lit room with various tea's, cool water and shelled pistachio's. The furniture is of a wicker sort....nice, not luxurious.
Sat for at least 20 minutes and thought the timing didn't seem right and wondered how a 50 minute, $48 manicure was going to fit in.
After a long wait in the "Quiet Room", I was nervously met by a Spa associate who motioned me towards the nail salon as she truly babbled about a mix up of an appointment.
I was welcomed into the salon by Tiffany (?). It was so rushed and so pressured, I'm not sure that's her name. She was lovely, sweet and completely badgered by her co-workers. The manicure was rushed.
You see, my partner arrived roughly 7-10 minutes after I sat down in the manicure chair.....for my 50 minutes.
My fingernails were NOT receptive to polish as they weren't dry as a massage therapist came to speak to me and informed me a "couples massage" was no longer possible due to the nail delay but my OWN massage "which is less expensive" was available......as I was expected to leave the nail salon (which I did) with wet nails. Tiffany asked if I felt OK about getting on to a massage bed with wet nails.......seriously?! I sat in the WHATEVER, boring room for 5-8 minutes, with no acknowledgement and decided this wasn't what I signed up for. I tried to dry my nails on my own, walked out towards the (very outdated) pool and "hot tub" then just decided to change and go back to the room.
Room: VERY comfy bed and pillows. Not good if you want to watch TV from bed in 3142 as that is near impossible. Very weird furniture configuration.
Restaurants Open: Blue Heron, great. Oyster House: One night dis-engaged waiter, next night, um, very good. Food was really very good in both restaurants.
Don't intend to visit again. There was no sparkle. The fire places weren't lit, brass railings up the stairs. Polite staff. NEEDS FIRE PITS!

2  Thank Bouj
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
First please allow me to offer my apologies for the recent experience you had while visiting the Resort. Our reasoning for having scheduled appointments is to ensure that every guest is well taken care of and has a quality experience every step of the way that exceeds every expectation from reservation to check out. I assure you that this is not the quality of service you should come to expect here at the resort and this matter has gotten my full attention.
Although we pride ourselves on leaving memorable experiences for our guests, every so often (very much the exception and not the rule), we admittedly fall short of exceeding the expectations of our valuable guests.

I too am disappointed that we failed to exceed yours in many levels. Would you be so kind, at your convenience, to contact me directly to discuss your stay further? I can be reached at 360-318-2036 or via e-mail at odiop@semiahmoo.com.
In regards to the décor and status of the pool and hot tub, a major $6 million dollar renovation will be taking place throughout the winter resort wide including the pool and spa.

Thank you for bringing to my attention areas in which we needed improvement since your visit. I truly hope to hear from you soon, in hopes that I can regain your loyalty and demonstrate our consistent commitment to creating memorable experiences.

Semiahmoo resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Semiahmoo is a on a great strip of property with great views. However, it's missing some key components to get to a 4 of 5 star review. First, don't try to book over the phone, no one picks up the phone or returns your voice mail. Second, there's no AT&T service inside the hotel, only Rogers in Canada (roaming charges). Third, the Wifi service only works near the lobby area - I was completely off the grid in my room. Forth, the carpets are old, worn and smelled a bit.

On the positive side, my son absolutely loved the pool. The temperature was perfect, it's huge and it's outdoors. There's a number of rooms near the lobby where you can sit and enjoy the sunset or view inclement weather. The suites are huge and the beds / pillows are extremely comfortable. I slept well (except when being woken up by the trains).

Room Tip: Look for a room that doesn't require a 150' walk and has wifi.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mccshark
Ousmane D, Assistant general Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and post it on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to read accolades from our guests yet it is the comments that are more constructive in nature that help us to improve. Your précised comments certain assisted well at finding the areas that needed improvement.

I too was dissatisfied to read that you were not able to make a reservation over the phone. I am today pleased to inform you that this has been rectified. Our great location, being a great seaside destination unfortunately comes with cell phone coverage challenges. Our technology team has been working diligently with the major carriers to resolve it. As we gear towards our 6.3 million major renovation it is important that we invest well so to alleviate such hassle, as well as the Wi-Fi.
Corrective actions to ensure that similar events do not happen to you or any other guest in the future have been taken.
Differing to the challenges you experienced during your stay, I am glad to read that you found serenity and comfort in your room/suite and your son enjoyed our pool.

I do hope that you and your family will give us another chance to demonstrate the true hospitality and service(s) that Semiahmoo is known for. Please feel free to reach out to me directly preceding your next visit.

Ousmane diop

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My fiance surprised me with a night in Semiahmoo, not knowing it was my childhood stomping ground, and I knew that spit of land like the back of my hand! I'm so happy this resort is back open again after being closed and shuttered for awhile!

We brought our dog and got a great waterfront, ground level suite. Our bed was very comfortable (our dog liked his big round dog bed, too), and we slept really well with the sound of the waves. But not before having a fantastic meal at Packers and watching the sunset in rocking chairs on the common patio. Heaven!

Room Tip: The water side is more expensive, but if you're just relaxing and not going anywhere, I think it...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I am elated that you and your fiancée had a wonderful experience at Semiahmoo. From reading your posting it is clear that reopening the resort has created a memory rebirth. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write and post a review on TripAdvisor.
Welcome back and the entire team here at the resort is looking forward to many more of your escape to serenity and fun time.

Be Semiahmoo,

Semiahmoo Resort Golf and Spa

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We have family that own a home on Birch Point and were down for a dinner with them but stayed at the Resort. It was great. Really nice spot so close to Vancouver. Clean rooms and a great Oyster Bar where we had a few drinks one afternoon. I would recomend for a easy weekend away from Van.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ousmane D, Assistant General Manager at Semiahmoo Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Greetings!
Thank you for your accolades. Semiahmoo resort is certain a "nice spot" if you allow me to quote you. Thank you for making us your destination for an escape.
Let me share the good news that Packers was rated #2 this month as one of the top restaurant/bar with scenic view(Open table).

Hope to welcome you and your family in the near future.
Regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2013

By May 2014, Semiahmoo hopes to complete a $6 million renovation. Right now, it's barely open. Rooms are very dated. Common areas have worn carpet and half hearted decor. Only one restaurant (Packers) is open. No bonfires, no morning lattes from the closed coffee shop. Workers are painting, backing up trucks, using cranes to inspect the roof, etc.

My recommendation would be to broker a great room deal, because vacancy is extremely high here. Packers is just OK, understaffed with hit (halibut, dungeness crab salad, heirloom tomato salad) or miss (cod fish & chips, salmon chowder, burger). Service was slow, tables not cleared, lots of gnats in the restaurant. Wine list by the glass was dismal, and they need to upgrade their tea selection to a better quality brand. Note that when you are here, you are isolated, and it's quite a long drive to any other restaurants.

On the plus side, they have replaced beds with divine Tempurpedic mattresses and new pillows.
This place still has a stellar view and great golf.

The spa more of a health club for locals, very casual with locker rooms, nothing fancy at all. A massage from Cheryl, who is very talented at sports and deep tissue techniques, will make your muscles tremble with joy.

Room Tip: As they start to complete renovations, be sure to ask for a newly renovated room. Right now there a...
1  Thank SR22
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We so enjoyed our meal at Packer's. The views are amazing since 2 walls have windows right onto the bay! Management however is advised to change the music choices in the evening....my husband and I find Jazz and trumpets to drive us away, and in fact didn't return the next night with our friends because of the discord of the music. Sunday brunch however, was divine and we even got to see a harbor seal from our table!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blaine
Hotel Bellwether
Worldmark Birch Bay
#2 of 3 in Blaine
South Surrey
Best Western Peace Arch Inn

Been to Semiahmoo Resort? Share your experiences!